Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15429 - 25/08/2000 13:13 Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck?
iank
new poster

I'm trying to stuff a Mk2 unit into a 2000 WS6 TransAm. The installers first attempt yielded an experience where there was a crackling distortion on the front speakers(Infinity Refs) when it approached anything near on the road listening volume but not the back (MB Quart). The amp is a rockford fosgate 400wat thingie. I took it back to have the antenna power lead hooked up and the crackling looked at. They said they needed more tunes of various music to attempt to isolate the problem (I only had one CD on there for the isntall). Also, after hooking up the antenna (in anticipation of the FM tuner) I now get to listen to engine whine noise out of the speakers. For the crackling I thought perhaps the gain was too high on the amp but stuff you'd think would cause distortion does not (heavy bass) and stuff that seems pretty mild does.

So, bottom line, is there an install guide for this unit? A list of precautions I need to address?

The EMPEG works like a charm in the house on AC power and hooked into the home theater.

#15430 - 25/08/2000 19:17 Re: Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck? [Re: iank]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Search for 'alternator whine' in these bbs or possibly 'grounding', there's a ton of good info and if your installers were worth their salt they'd have more of a clue. It sounds like they aren't interested in doing the tough part of the job, just taking your $$ for making a few crimps. Grounding & alternator whine aren't unique to the empeg, just a little touchier. I cleared up my alt. whine by separating the power wires into the empeg from the speaker wires & preamp outs. Good luck, it can be sticky.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#15431 - 26/08/2000 08:35 Re: Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck? [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also check the tech docs at http://www.installdr.com. There are a couple of good docs on noise removal and grounding.

#15432 - 01/09/2000 10:56 Re: Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck? [Re: Ezekiel]
aRVie
new poster

Got the same problems. Could you explain in detail how you get it to work without whining? My 'installation' expert told me he had former experience with Empeg car players and tried everything, but didn't succeed. If he couldn't, I sure can't or can I?

#15433 - 01/09/2000 11:37 Re: Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck? [Re: aRVie]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My 'installation' expert told me he had former experience with Empeg car players and tried everything, but didn't succeed.

Your installation expert's previous experience was probably with a Mark 1. The Mark 2 doesn't have the same ground loop problems and shouldn't have the same symptoms. It should be as quiet as any other car stereo. If you are getting noise problems with a Mark 2, then you would probably get the same noise problems with any other stereo (i.e., it's something else in the installation that's causing the issue.)

Did you try the noise-reduction PDF documents at Install Doctor, here and here?

#15434 - 02/09/2000 04:50 Re: Is my unit hosed or does my installer suck? [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Ermmmm... just a thought, if this installer has worked with Mk.1 players you'd better check that he hasn't installed the Mk.2 in the same way. With the Mk.1 it was necessary to ground the line cables at the amplifier - if you try this with the Mk.2 you'll get terrible noise. The Mk.2 line cables shouldn't be grounded externally at all, and any exposed connectors should be wrapped with tape to prevent them touching metalwork. This is the same as for just about any after market head unit.

In summary - your installer should FORGET anything he knew about the Mk.1, and install a Mk.2 in exactly the same way he would a CD head.

Rob