Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15577 - 26/08/2000 11:02 configuration issues
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Ok, first of all: I really support the wish to allow some basic configuration using the empeg itself, especially switching from dhcp to static IP (and of course configuring that IP). What is even more important is a little status info screen that shows things like:

• Temperature (AFAIK, the empeg monitors (some?) internal temperatures)

• USB connection status

• Ethernet connection status, including current IP and a hint (D/S) on wether that was configured statically or via dhcp

• current input voltage

Well, especially voltage and temp of course are only available to display if the software has a way to determine them.

And one more wish:
As far as I know (from the parts of this BBS I saw and from the documentation), the mute input is currently only configurable in two ways:

1. Mute if pulled down to ground

2. Mute if pulled up to 12V or something

What I would really like is an option to have the empeg react in a more sophisticated way: When the radio mute is active (at whatever line level is configured), mute the tuner, mute the mp3 playback and switch to aux input for as long as the mute should be active. That way, one could wire his mobile in a way that it uses the same speakers as the empeg when using the free speak

cu,
sven

#15578 - 26/08/2000 13:29 Re: configuration issues [Re: smu]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Hi Sven,

I understand, I think, the wish to set / change IP addresses from the player (remote) and the logic of the player having a static as well as a dynamic IP address.
Also agree that being able to play a phone call via the aux input would be nice.

But why would you wish to know temperature, USB status, or input voltage?

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15579 - 28/08/2000 03:27 Re: configuration issues [Re: Henno]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Henno.

Well, I had (and might still have, havenīt tried again yet) problems accessing the empge using USB, so I would have liked to see a short status report on USB connection.
I sometimes have the player hanging during reboot, which seems to depend on input voltage. Also, some problems (not mine) might relate to the temperature of the empegs internals. So, as far as those statistics are available to the empeg, I would like to have a way to see them directly on the empeg, not just on the serial line (if they are available there, I didnīt get a matching serial cable with my empeg).
I just think, that all diagnostic values should be available on the unit itself, even if it is not easy to reach them. If the hardware does not provide such info to the software, that is another issue, but if the software is able to know them, there should be a way to make the software show them.

cu,
Sven

cu,
sven

#15580 - 28/08/2000 07:57 Re: configuration issues [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think it would be neat to see a readout of the voltage and the temperature in the "About" box or something.

Bobo wrote an EmpegInfo program which shows the temperature, but not the voltage.