Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#171300 - 18/07/2003 11:03 Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I had a great time at Euro Meet 2003. Many thanks to Rob S, Rob V, and the rest of the Empeg guys.

Before some of the ideas that were suggested, during and after the meet, slip away, I wanted to post them here for a good kicking. I'm not saying they're possible or practical but I'll post them anyway. Please take the following as suggestions and not complaints in anyway. I'll definitely be back next year. (And yes, by writing them here, I am volunteering to help.)

How about another category for installs? Call it Empeg Towers Choice, the "Out of Car Experience", or an other category. Those who were there and saw Julf's install will understand why. If anyone has a picture they can attach, it'll save me an explanation.

A digital LED for web cam feedback for those who cannot be there in person.

A playlist drawing for a few people to provide the music for the BBQ (via their Empegs of course). I would have liked to have heard a sampling of the GB of "new to me" music that was at the event. It would also give the neighbors something else to shout about

A return of the treasure hunt game with a geo-caching addition. Mark (mlord) infected Thomas (Speedy67) and I with the geo-caching disease.

No more Friday afternoon business meetings so that I don't miss the ribs again.

Any that I've missed?

#171301 - 18/07/2003 11:06 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: Mach]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
How about another category for installs? Call it Empeg Towers Choice, the "Out of Car Experience", or an other category. Those who were there and saw Julf's install will understand why. If anyone has a picture they can attach, it'll save me an explanation.
Agreed! That dude should definitely have won something.

#171302 - 18/07/2003 11:12 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: Mach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
A return of the treasure hunt game with a geo-caching addition.
Ah, I wanted to ask about that. I wasn't there on Sunday for the treasure hunt. How did that go? What was it like? I was sorry I missed it.

#171303 - 18/07/2003 11:19 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: tfabris]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
It was a good time. I think the festivities on the evening prior made Rob's cat herding job a little more difficult. Half of the group raced through and the other half, methodically found and answered every question in great detail. Guess which group Patrick was in?

#171304 - 18/07/2003 12:13 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: robricc]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Julf has brought something cool with him every time. This was the best of the lot. Next year, though.....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#171305 - 18/07/2003 12:38 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: Mach]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This is a damn good idea - please, I welcome any comments as some of the things we did this year came from suggestions from last year. Anyone got any (practical) ideas about things they would like to see/do at the next one?

This year did not change much from last year, except that we managed to get the feely bag game in, and the treasure hunt actually took place. I added the BarbyCam at the last minute 'cos I thought it would be fun: the main difference was the large number of people who came.

For next year, I am rather worried about how to run it. It is starting to outgrow it's venue (I hope not it's popularity!!!). What I had thought about as simple improvements were the following:

- retain more or less the same format for the weekend, but possibly stretch it out to a full 4 day event with one main tech day, and one main social day instead of one and a half as now.
- organise parallel social events for partners/family members, including bicycle hire, organised trips out, etc.
- a Web cam at the hotel with sound during the day
- more than one web cam at the Barby!
- change of location for the BBQ so that we can make as much noise as we want as long as we want
- possibly add a bonfire/campfire
- possibly add a go-karting event

These are only tentative: bear in mind that as the number of people attending go up, the number of common interests goes down, plus it gets more difficult to manage. I have found the format of the current event pleasant and fun to run, and everyone so far has said they had a good time at this event, so it must be pretty close to "right" - if it's not busted, then don't change it.

Let's hear your ideas!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#171306 - 18/07/2003 12:46 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: schofiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Anyone got any (practical) ideas

Why, yes. I think PCA needs to get cracking on the LOLBW (low-altitude loitering barbecue webcam).

Oh, and I am only coming if we have a firm promise of the world's first Empeg-equipped ELINT van!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#171307 - 18/07/2003 12:54 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: schofiel]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I thought the meet was excellent this year and I definitely think if it ain't broke, etc, etc.....

I like the length of the meet as it is, a trip there on friday means I only have to squander one day of my already heavily diminished annual leave.

The one thing you mentioned is moving the BBQ, it would stop your neighbours from doing their nut. I'd also mean something else....

A BIGGER CANNON!

Seriously though, whatever you organise it'll be definately worth the trip, and barring disaster, definately count me in for next year!

Andy M

#171308 - 18/07/2003 13:12 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: andym]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Yep i'm with you go for same length of event

Moving the barby if you can find somewhere close by would be good as a bus is not the best way for the barbecue since we had early leavers and onto the dedicated piss heads so one leaving time might not work.

Only thing i would like to see is two distance prize on for public transport and one on miles only.

the worst install Must stay if only for the wonderfully shabby trophy

Another prize for the novelty install like the wonderous landrover barbecue set up

Maybe a coolest car prize as well thinking of Hugos NSX or the wonderful bristol from last year.

Oh yeah no more of those crappy red bags as a prize unless it is for worst install as mine fell to bits already with bits coming off the handle.

#171309 - 19/07/2003 07:26 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: Mach]
speedy67
enthusiast

Loc: South-West-Germany
We need more time for Patrick. I was very disappointed, that he had only such a little time to tell about his "...so i had to develop my own..."

cheers, Thomas

#171310 - 21/07/2003 03:51 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: speedy67]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I think that it might be a good idea to mike the speakers and repeat back the questions from the floor, essential if the numbers get any bigger. If you're on the window side of the room, it was essential to open the windows, and that made hearing all the points, difficult.

Perhaps it might be a good idea if the sessions were saturday and sunday morning, so that anyone that wants to go shopping etc. can do so and yet we can still have organised events such as the treasure hunt, after lunch on saturday afternoon.

I think the weekend: 1 1/2 to 2 days probably suits most people for the reasons already given on this thread. Another barbecue venue, I think is essential for your own benefit!

Could the Campanile get some less salty bacon in, I thought that I was eating anchovies at breakfast!

Never mind bringing my paddle steamer, next year - I know what RC model I'll be building this winter!

#171311 - 22/07/2003 11:17 Re: Amersfoort 2004...Feature Creep [Re: andym]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sorry for the radio silence, was playing with even wilder toys than the land rover over in Kent... Check out http://cm.thewarandpeaceshow.com/gallery/2003-Show-Photos > http://cm.thewarandpeaceshow.com/gallery/2003-Show-Photos . Anyway, I *ought* to be able to bring the ELINT truck along, equipped with a WLAN basestation and the webcam on top of the 5 m (15 ft) telescopic mast... . Just no challenge mounting the empeg in a truck full of 19 inch racks