Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#177115 - 27/08/2003 14:46 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: lectric]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
yup. no dice. i plugged the audrey straight the the AP with the same results.

#177116 - 27/08/2003 20:11 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: loren]
loren
carpal tunnel

Okay, still no luck. Everything has the latest firmware and i reset EVERYTHING and started from scratch. Same results. So, for the time being i put another AP on the router, and it seems to be working fine. It seems ridiculous though, since the router IS an AP.... it's redundant. I emailed Netgear support. I don't have time to sit on the phone. This sucks.

#177117 - 27/08/2003 20:25 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: loren]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Loren you should ditch that router simply because it has no configuration via web interface. Setup summary: install as USB device on 98/2k machine or intstall a SNMP interface program. Bleah! Unless the manual's out of sync with the firmware (no, that'd never happen either).

Besides, the manual's cover artwork sucked ass.[ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/ME102_Reference_guide1.pdf]

-Zeke

#177118 - 27/08/2003 22:15 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: Ezekiel]
loren
carpal tunnel

You mean the AP, not the router, and you are correct, it has no web interface, but i can either jack it in with USB or access it over the network to configure it, so no big deal.

#177119 - 27/08/2003 22:32 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: Ezekiel]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Loren you should ditch that router simply because it has no configuration via web interface.

This is a common misconception, which I beleived until I spent a few minutes thinking about it. AP's shouldn't have web interfaces because they work below the IP layer. They'd be taking up an IP address just for the configuration, and be assuming your network was IP based.

Matthew

#177120 - 28/08/2003 05:34 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: matthew_k]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Matthew-
Misconception? No.

For home and small business users using non-routable IP addresses behind a firewall, one extra IP address doesn't matter. For larger concerns (usually those with more expert staff), they can set that IP to a bogus/non-routable one or disable the web interface entirely (from both wireless & wired access) and use the serial (or usb etc) interface to set the device.

If your network wasn't IP based, why would you care if there was an IP address on a device?

Come on, no web interface on a Small Business/Home AP/Bridge/Switch is pretty cheesy.

Besides, I think you missed the main point of my post, which was to make Loren feel better about s-canning that thing since it didn't work anyway!

-Zeke

#177121 - 28/08/2003 05:48 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: loren]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loren,
Sorry, AP. I wonder if it could be something as weird as it only accepting WEP keys as Hexidecimal? I once set up an AP that would let you use text keys, but they wouldn't work while Hex ones would.

Although, I suppose if you can ping over the wireless, this couldn't be the problem. Bah! Let us know what NG tech support says.

-Zeke

#177122 - 28/08/2003 05:57 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: Ezekiel]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Come on, no web interface on a Small Business/Home AP/Bridge/Switch is pretty cheesy.

I disagree. You only tend to setup an AP once and then never touch it again.

Also don't forget that the ME102 in question was designed about 4+ years ago now, at which point a web interface would have been relatively unusual. I suspect if they were designing it now it would have a web interface.

#177123 - 28/08/2003 06:58 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: Ezekiel]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Loren you should ditch that router simply because it has no configuration via web interface.

Sorry, I disagree too. That is the last reason to ditch a router IMHO. In my (fairly broad) experience configuring network devices (routers, switches, firewalls, VPN gateways, modems etc) any web interface has generally been slow, clunky or simply less useful than any command line/config file based interface.
Sure, a web interface puts a friendly graphical face on it which is useful to non-techies, but I don't think that Loren really needs that.

#177124 - 28/08/2003 07:27 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: andy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I suspect if they were designing it now it would have a web interface.
They probably would have since they have to appeal to neophytes. However, I recenly bought an AP from Micro Plus for $29.95. For that price, I had to check it out. It gets configured through USB (supporting your theory that an AP is set up once and never touched again). The utility is extremely primative but it gets the job done (if you know what you're doing). Incidentally, that AP from Micro Plus has the best range and stability of any AP I have ever used. It is an excellent value.

#177125 - 28/08/2003 08:21 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: andy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Andy, I figured it was circa 2002 as that was the date on the manual. You're right, I wouldn't expect it on 4 y.o. equipment (although a few WebRamps I had did have web interfaces - circa 1999).

I fiddle with my A/P every so often (semi-monthly) - upgrading the firmware, tweaking which MAC's are allowed and so on, so I guess we use our equipment differently & have different priorities. I find a web interface simply the most convenient.

-Zeke

#177126 - 20/09/2003 17:49 Re: Wireless Network Help... again [Re: Ezekiel]
loren
carpal tunnel

Just for posterity...

I finally took the time to call Netgear support (pretty quick and seemed pretty knowledgable too). What they said it comes down to is that the Router has no bridge mode that will work with the ME102.

This still makes no sense to me... seeing as the Router is an Access Point, and the ME102 can be set as an access point CLIENT... it don't see why it won't work. But i guess i'll have to take their word for it.

Anyone knowledgable enough about this stuff to know if they are blowing smoke?

*pissed*

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2