Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1913 - 18/03/2000 12:19 Last of these questions, I swear
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I am still looking into a Land Rover Discovery. The problem is on the new 2000 model, it appears that it is not a standard 2" DIN. It looks a bit taller. My questions are:
1) What would an installer do to take care of this problem?
2) Would what ever he does hold up to the constant in-out motion of the box? would it be able to handle the jarring motion of the sleeve?

I was also looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but that also looks like something other than the normal deck. Tell me if I'm wrong:
http://www.jeepunpaved.com/grand_cherokee/frameset_grand_cherokee.html
then click on "Features"

#1914 - 18/03/2000 13:33 Re: Last of these questions, I swear [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What would an installer do to take care of this problem?

They would use a mounting kit designed specifically to mount a DIN radio into a non-DIN hole. These mounting kits are made by several different companies and usually consist of carefully machined brackets with the screw holes positioned to match up with the factory mounting points. Part of the kit would also be a fascia plate to cover the extra gap between the DIN unit and the rest of the dashboard.

Would what ever he does hold up to the constant in-out motion of the box? would it be able to handle the jarring motion of the sleeve?

Yes, if it was a properly-designed mounting kit. Most of these mounting kits were designed back in the "old days", when full-pullout radios were common. But ask your installer about it just to be sure.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144