Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20330 - 13/10/2000 18:55 We need a good developer site!
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Okay. Let me start this off by saying that the Empeg Developer site on mars.org is a good site in terms of design, layout, etc. But it's horribly out of date. I'm guessing that the maintainer of the site doesn't have a ton of time to find and then upload the latest and greatest Empeg software, which I totally understand. Well, then, we need something else. Maybe a sourceforge setup where developers can post their stuff. Or maybe someone else needs to set up a better develoepr site. I don't know, I'm a regular reader and poster on this BBS, and even I have to dig deep through old messages to find certain information about Empeg development and technical details. If a potential customer finds the developer site, they'd think that there were no programs written for the Empeg except a scroller, a PNG viewer, and a couple other tiny programs. When there's already an LDAP server, several text display utilities, and now a logo editor, I think we're selling it short by not providing a central resource.

The mars.org was intended an all-in-one developer site, and if it was more current, it would definitely be. But it's not, so what do you all think we should do about it?

-Tony
MkII #554

#20331 - 14/10/2000 02:40 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: tonyc]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I think SourceForge is the way to go with this. Of course, it is focussed mainly (or so I gather) on open source. But considering they have a complete setup with everything one could want from a developer site... Not to mention they are quickly becomming (if not already there) the most common site for this sort of thing with test platforms going all the way up to Itanium systems. It is of course heavy on the side of Linux and *nix in general but that does not mean there is no way you can stuff some WinXX things in there.

All in all looks like a good place to go if nobody minds the opensource idea too much.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#20332 - 14/10/2000 14:24 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: EngelenH]
UncleSocks
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi,

I've made a decent tarball which can be used to bootstrap a more conventional Debian environment on the Empeg. If someone creates the framework on sourceforge, I'll happily contribute and maintain this micro 'Empeg distribution.'

-Kevin

#20333 - 14/10/2000 14:39 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: UncleSocks]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Well, I would gladly do it, but I don't want to look presumptious by doing it when there are others here that are far more active in these things then I am at the moment.

So guys, what do you think, is sourceforge a good idea ? And if so, who does the registering of a new project ?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#20334 - 14/10/2000 17:46 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: EngelenH]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Isn't there already OpenEmptool or something like that project on sourceforge?

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#20335 - 14/10/2000 17:55 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: bonzi]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Hmm, not that I can see ...

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#20336 - 14/10/2000 18:01 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: bonzi]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
look here for openemplode

Frank van Gestel

#20337 - 14/10/2000 18:05 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: EngelenH]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I'm far more busy programming. As you might have noticed,my homepage isn't there. I guess I'm more the functional type...

Frank van Gestel

#20338 - 21/10/2000 02:40 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: tonyc]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
I readily admit the developer site is not as well maintained as it should be. Here's what I'm considering:

I can move the entire developer site, including software, dynamic web pages, and database to SourceForge. In so doing, I can make it more accessible to those of you who are interested in helping to maintain it and make it better. It would also offer some immediate ways to share information through SourceForge's tools for online documentation, CVS, anonymous FTP, etc.

I'm nearly convinced this is the right thing to do, but of course it won't change anything unless there are people interested in taking part in it. Ideally I'd like any developer to be able to contribute to the site; I like a lot of the ideas I'm hearing about making the site more automatic and self-extending in this respect. To accomplish this, I'd like to put together a small core set of people who can implement it and otherwise make the developer site more useful and up-to-date.

If you think you'd like to be a part of this, please let me know.

Cheers,
-v

#20339 - 21/10/2000 07:35 Re: We need a good developer site! [Re: Verement]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There are some useful reference materials at the Mars.org site that I would hope don't get lost in the move to sourceforge. Namely, the connector pinouts and the player serial commands.