Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20456 - 14/10/2000 21:31 Record from FM tuner and/or external source
zaakiy
new poster

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I was going to purchase a recordable Sony minidisc head unit (in addition to an EMPEG) to allow me to record from radio in order to quote radio references later on.

While it may not be possible to record and dynamically compress to MP3, would it be possible to update the software to allow me to record onto WAV file or something.

Also: How many others out there might want this? (You could also record cool radio songs that you otherwise can't get your hands on!)

#20457 - 15/10/2000 01:08 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: zaakiy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
would it be possible to update the software to allow me to record onto WAV file or something.

'Fraid not. The ARM processor probably has the power to do this, but the hard drives are always mounted read-only (except when emplode is running) for a lot of good reasons, primarily to assure that your data remains un-corrupted in the rather demanding environment of in-car operation.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#20458 - 15/10/2000 07:34 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: tanstaafl.]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
While this is true, it shouldn't stop outside developers from hacking together a radio record feature.

I wouldn't expect anything like this for a while. Not until the Player software gets some plug-in architecture or some launching capabilities.

This however will probably never come from Empeg Ltd. as it would turn this playback device into a recorder "officially" and would require different licensing.

John

#20459 - 15/10/2000 17:28 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: jwtadmin]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We designed in the ability to record from tuner or auxilliary with the Mk.2 player. There isn't any software support yet, and it's of limited usefulness as the sample rate is fairly low and the source must be that currently selected before it can be recorded. Therefore you can't, for example, record the radio whilst listening to MP3's, but you could record the radio whilst the player is in standby.

Licencing isn't an issue if we don't compress the resultant audio (or, at least, not into a proprietry format). Data could only be written to the scratch partition as it's a "bad thing" to mount the music partition for writing whilst on the move. This restricts the amount of audio that could be recorded, and probably restricts such functionality to the player software (nothing else should touch the scratch partition).

Useful applications could include recording TA (traffic announcements on RDS) during the 30 minute period before you start your daily commute, or recording voice memos using the microphone. In practice, don't hold your breath.

Rob

#20460 - 16/10/2000 06:30 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: rob]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
In reply to:

Useful applications could include recording TA (traffic announcements on RDS) during the 30 minute period before you start your daily commute, or recording voice memos using the microphone. In practice, don't hold your breath.

Oh god that would be so great ...

Do you have ANY idea how much time I spend in trafic jams every week ? Here's a hint : M25 ...

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#20461 - 16/10/2000 11:08 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: EngelenH]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Yes, but you don't need TA to find out about jams on the M25 - just assume they're ALWAYS there!

Rob

#20462 - 16/10/2000 11:23 Re: Record from FM tuner and/or external source [Re: rob]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Well, problem is Holland has M25's that move around ... If you catch my drift.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431