Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209477 - 15/03/2004 16:47 o.O....funky!
daPyr0x
stranger

I just bought a Karma (After buying an iRiver iHP-120 and then returning it....); and so far I'm really enjoying it. There are a couple of things though, that I wanted to ask about..

First of all, one of the selling points of the iRiver I originally bought was the inline remote; will there ever be a remote released for the Karma or is that port there just to taunt me? If there is, is it going to be something that'll get bundled with your later Karma's and just rip off those of us who were at least semi loyal and bought one of these things early?

Secondly, is there any way to get one of these things mounted in the car with like, full support? As in, an LCD with track info and all the goods; as opposed to a hack to the CD changer port on the back....That would also be really nice.
I'd like to still use the same dock, or a similar one, because that pulsing blue light is just plain cool, and I like the way it is...

Anybody know anything more than I do here? I'm just kinda tryin to get a feel for the stuff here...

#209478 - 15/03/2004 16:58 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: daPyr0x]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
is that port there just to taunt me?

Yup.
Secondly, is there any way to get one of these things mounted in the car with like, full support?

Click over to the For Sale forum. Pulsing blue lights gallore.
Anybody know anything more than I do here?

Yes. They appear in blue and often speak in tongues.

Welcome to the board. I feel your pain on the lack of remote issue, it's one of the main reasons I don't already own a karma.

Matthew

#209479 - 15/03/2004 17:54 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: daPyr0x]
daPyr0x
stranger

o.O
and a quick firmware bug, too...
If you have the hold switch enabled and you plug it in (or put it on the dock) it won't turn on, it will instead give the locked symbol and turn back off as if I manually turned it on...
I think tha't kinda stupid, no?

#209480 - 15/03/2004 18:45 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: daPyr0x]
eliceo
enthusiast

Well it is locked, I mean sometimes the function doesn't make sense but I think that is a feature and not a bug.

#209481 - 15/03/2004 19:05 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: eliceo]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Feature. The mere act of applying power or docking it boots the karma, thus the big lock icon. It is intentional, especially when dealing with the dock and its ethernet port.

#209482 - 15/03/2004 20:03 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: pgrzelak]
daPyr0x
stranger

but, if you're purposely placing it on the dock, in order to charge it or to sync it, isn't it like, a given, that you want it on so you *can* charge it or sync it?
or am I just being logical again?

#209483 - 15/03/2004 21:01 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: daPyr0x]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I believe it does charge if put into the dock locked, thus, you can lock it to prevent it from popping on the network, or starting an autosync over USB if you just wish to charge the unit.

#209484 - 19/03/2004 14:38 Re: o.O....funky! [Re: drakino]
daPyr0x
stranger

yup, you're right
thank you :-p
It would be nice, though, if the players LCD would show *something* to say "Hey! I'm being charged!" even when it's locked and turned off....kinda like the way Nokia cell phones have their charging animation...

Also, I see those awesome-looking hella-expensive empeg car and Rio car units that are the reason this forum even exists....but is there anything that's...current? that I can buy new? that actually *does* support playing right off of the Karma? I'd really like something with an LCD, some flash memory, and a D-A and Amp combo that could just play directly off of the Karma's drive and show track info on the display.... I mean, those Empegs are *nice*, but they're 500+ USD (apparantly) and not even in production anymore...oh, and they don't support the Karma...

Oh, and one last thing for our resident Rio people here...
Is there any way that I can get a hold of a second docking station? I saw the one thing that was on sale on Ebay - but it's obviously sold, and I don't need it right away; but being able to purchase a second dock would be more than helpful...
Being able to purchase your top-secret going-to-get-packaged-with-new-karmas-and-bug-us-all in-line remote would be nice too