Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#211365 - 28/03/2004 14:17 Amplifier Settings
fathazam
new poster

I saw you guys help someone else very much with his amplifier settings so I was hoping you could do the same for me. I don't know very much about car stereo but i'm trying. Well I have a kenwood amplifier KAC-848 i think its 800 or 1000 W i'm not sure. And I just bought 2 Audiobahn 12' 400 Watt R.M.S. subs, i have it all hoooked up and they are not much louder than my old pyle new waves. I turned the LPF and HPF off, because that was the loudest of the settings, i turned the input sensitivity down lower than .15 which made it louder the lower i went. Then there is a frequency setting and I have no clue what the heck that is for i'm just tryin to make it louder... oh yea my head unit is an Alpine 40x4 unit... Any suggestions at all? Thanks in advance guys. I don't really understand these box things but a friend of mine made me a box custom for my camaro and it has the 2 subs sitting in it on top each in separate compartments of the big box, and then there is a 2 1/2 inch diameter hole on the one side of each of the compartments (the outside not the connecting piece). Thanks again.

#211366 - 28/03/2004 14:51 Re: Amplifier Settings [Re: fathazam]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you have the LPF (low pass filter) and HPF (high pass filter) turned off, then the Frequency setting does nothing. The frequency setting adjusts the spectrum position of those filters.

If your subs are not as loud as you want them to be, there are a few possible things that could factor into this, and you should check them:

- Quiet signal coming from the source. For instance, the fader isn't set right, or the bass is turned down.

- The amp and speakers might simply not be as loud as you think they are.

- Enclosure problems, such as incorrect port size on a ported box, or incorrect volume on a sealed box. Or a leaky box, or a complete lack of an enclosure. They're in an enclosure, right?

- Wiring problems, such as wiring the speakers in parallel when they should be in series, or vice-versa.

- Wiring the speakers out of phase when they should be in phase, or vice-versa.

I think the latter is the most likely culprit, since you said that removing the filters made it the loudest. Having speakers in the wrong phase most commonly results in lowered bass response.

#211367 - 29/03/2004 12:00 Re: Amplifier Settings [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden

- Wiring the speakers out of phase when they should be in phase, or vice-versa.

I think the latter is the most likely culprit, since you said that removing the filters made it the loudest. Having speakers in the wrong phase most commonly results in lowered bass response.

To test for/fix this: switch the + and - wires on one of the subs (are they single or dual coil subs?)

Wiring problems, such as wiring the speakers in parallel when they should be in series, or vice-versa.

Wiring stuff in parallell when it should be in series is most likely to send the amp into protection (or smoke signalling mode if it doesn't have protection circuits) , but wiring in series when it should be in parallell will lead to less power produced by the amp.

What is the lowest Ohm load the amp is stable down to?

What are the impedance of the subs and are the single or dual coil subs? (if dual give the impedance of a single coil)

Can you describe how they are wired now? For schematic examples, look at this page.

/Michael