Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#216091 - 12/05/2004 03:03 E3?
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Anybody going to E3 this week? I should be there Wednesday, and maybe another day as well.

#216092 - 12/05/2004 09:08 Re: E3? [Re: ninti]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Drakino, customsex, myself and a few others are here.
ricin.us

#216093 - 12/05/2004 09:13 Re: E3? [Re: ricin]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Let us know if you see anything about the PSP. I'm still highly skeptical about that thing.

#216094 - 12/05/2004 16:41 Re: E3? [Re: ricin]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Just came back from my trip over there. I know I missed all kinds of stuff but it is very tiring fighting through the crowds. I may go back later and try catch some more on my list.

Seems a pretty good year this time. I found a lot more stuff I am looking forward to than I did last year. It should not be a surprise to anyone that first person shooters and third person RPG games are the lion's share of the stuff there, and frankly I just walked by most of them. I saw very little truly original, and that should not come as a shock to anyone either. The highlights for me were:

Thief III, which just went gold(!!!) On the top of my list for games that I have been looking forward to. I had heard bad bad rumors coming from ION Storm; people leaving unexpectedly on less than good terms, including the lead programmer, but from what I saw it looks solid.

Rome: Total War, which looked like one of the more interesting and just plain huge strategy game I have seen in a long time. The amount of units involved in battles is staggering, hopefully you can control them adequately. Looked nice though.

King Arthur: Out of all the 3rd person RPGs there, and there were more than I can possibly count, this one made me stand up and take notice because of the extremely realistic graphics. Of course, I have no clue about the gameplay which of course is the thing that matters most, but still.

Heroes of the Pacific: A flight sim/flight arcade game. In a move I thought quite brilliant, this game can be a realistic flight sim or a more fly by the seat arcade game depending on the settings. It looks like a truly beautiful game and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

And then I saw a lot of other sequels of games I like; Call Of Duty has an expansion and a sequel coming, a Farcry expansion game, and some more games in the Lord Of The Rings world that looked pretty cool. There are some games I just couldn't seem to find (Knight Of The Old Republic II and the rest of Lucas Arts, Halo 2, and Sid Meier's Pirates) and a whole host of games that the bastards just were not showing, either at all or unless you waited in some stupid fuc*ing line, like Spiderman 2, Halflife 2, and Doom 3.

I would have had some pictures, but the fricking camera I had borrowed broke or something. So sorry, no booth babe goodness for you all.

All in all I was quite pleased. I think my year is going to be kind of busy.

#216095 - 12/05/2004 16:44 Re: E3? [Re: ninti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had heard bad bad rumors coming from ION Storm; people leaving unexpectedly on less than good terms, including the lead programmer,
Wait a minute...

<checks calendar>

Nope it's 2004. Damn, thought I'd been caught in a space-time distortion.

#216096 - 12/05/2004 16:55 Re: E3? [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
LucasArts' booth is always private. But, this year we have a theatre experience thing at the Prima booth (which i recommend you check out if there's no line... it's a video of our lead tester playing through a level and it's sweeeet), and I'm pretty sure you can play Republic Commando in the Microsoft XBox booth.

#216097 - 12/05/2004 17:01 Re: E3? [Re: loren]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
loren, are you here?
if you are you should give drakino or i a call, we could hook up.

so far i am having a blast. played the doom3 demo through and it was awesome! i was creeped out. republic commando was running on pc when i played it, and it was sweet. we asked about you, he wasnt sure if you were here or not. im getting ready to head over and watch the unreal 3 stuff that theyre showing off.

peace

#216098 - 12/05/2004 17:36 Re: E3? [Re: RobotCaleb]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Wish i was. But alas i'm still here at work. I'll be interested to hear what you really thought about RC in detail if you can remember. Besides a few play tests i haven't heard much about it from "outsiders" =]