Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22282 - 10/11/2000 20:23 Playlist Order when Appending
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Arg... I don't know if this is a Bug Report or a Wish List thing, but here goes.

I have noticed what I find to be an annoying glitch in the "append" option of the empeg search. Some times I will build a playlist from multiple album-playlists by using the "Append by Source" option. This works great most of the time. The problem arises when I have had to replace a track in an album-playlist due to encoding problems... (twice now...)

When I "append by source" the tracks are added in the order they were originally placed on the empeg. This causes the repaired track to be placed out of sequence from the original album order. I see this as a problem since there seems to be no other way to queue multiple album-playlists.

So... does this qualify as a bug? Or is it a wish? Or is there another way to achieve the results I seek?

Thanks...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#22283 - 11/11/2000 00:15 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: bootsy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You should be able to order your playlists in Emplode:

- First, select "View/Details" from Emplode's menu.

- Then, select the album playlist you're concerned with.

- One of the columns is labeled "Position". Click on the column header until it sorts by position, ascending.

- Now you should be able to drag that out-of-order track up and down in the list to make it fall into the correct order.

If you do this, and the append-by-source still mis-orders the song when shuffle is turned off, then officially report it as a bug to [email protected].

#22284 - 11/11/2000 17:43 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

"If you do this, and the append-by-source still mis-orders the song when shuffle is turned off, then officially report it as a bug to [email protected]."

This is exactly what happens... and why it confused me for so long. I will report it right away.

Thanks...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#22285 - 11/11/2000 23:25 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: bootsy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sounds like it sorts them according to FID.

If you drag a folder full of songs with sequential filenames, in addition to sorting them correctly in terms of playlist position, does emplode also give them FID's in the same order? Or is it the random Windows thing again?

DiGNAN

#22286 - 12/11/2000 00:47 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like it sorts them according to FID.

Sounds like a good guess. If you append an album, I think it should play that appended album in album order, but now that I think about it, I understand why it goes by FID. Because when you do a search, it doesn't pay attention to playlists. It finds everything with that album name, but it has no idea that those songs are all in the same playlist and have a specific order that you want them to follow. So, although I still think it's worth reporting as a bug, I think it probably could be better classified as "lack of a feature" rather than a bug.

If you drag a folder full of songs with sequential filenames, in addition to sorting them correctly in terms of playlist position, does emplode also give them FID's in the same order? Or is it the random Windows thing again?

It's the random Empeg thing. If you never delete a FID, then they always increment. But as soon as you start deleting and re-adding FIDs, then the deleted ones get re-used and you start getting sequential items with non-sequential FIDs. If you think about it, it's quite similar to the reasons that Windows files are sometimes out of order in their folders.

#22287 - 12/11/2000 15:46 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: tfabris]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think the proper fix for this would be to allow searching for playlists. A playlist is the only place that the order of tracks is defined. What order would you expect the tracks to be in if you were searching by artist?

Richard.

#22288 - 12/11/2000 15:54 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: rjlov]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Searching for playlists is in 1.1; as you said, this would give the correct ordering. A plain search has no ordering except for the internal one which indicates how the songs were stored.

Hugo

#22289 - 12/11/2000 23:17 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA

DiGNAN

#22290 - 13/11/2000 12:10 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: altman]
bootsy
enthusiast

Ahh... I was afraid this was the case. It makes more sense that this would be a "lack of feature" than a bug. Playlist searching sounds like it will solve this problem nicely.

One question, though... is there going to be any sort of tree structure to the searching in 1.1? I believe this was brought up before. Such as you search for a track called "Time," empeg finds 7 such tracks, and you can move down the separate tracks to select the proper one? This would be useful for playlist searching as well...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#22291 - 13/11/2000 13:32 Re: Playlist Order when Appending [Re: bootsy]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

is there going to be any sort of tree structure to the searching in 1.1?

Please say yes...
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!