Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#225929 - 21/07/2004 15:46 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: jnmunsey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but I ain't lugging that thing into a restaurant, movie theater, or similar.

I had a CD player stolen from my car while I was in a restaurant for a mere two hours. It was in a populated, high-traffic area, in the early evening.

What was stolen was a cheap CD player, easily replaced. Of course, they got into the trunk and stole the subwoofer, too, but that was easily replaced as well. That's not the point.

Have you ever had a stereo stolen out of your car before? Until it's happened to you, you can't know what it feels like. It's a terrible feeling to be victimized like that. In this particular case, I had to drive home for an hour on a cold night, with the passenger side window of my car smashed out, broken glass all over the car interior, and my dashboard ripped apart. Oh, and no music.

Also keep in mind that thieves often steal more than the stereo. In this case, they got several CDs and my checkbook, requiring that I cancel the checking account and open a new one, which of course came with its own hassles when the checks I'd recently written bounced.

You're not just protecting the stereo.

But even if you were, think about how rare and hard to replace your empeg is.

If the above hasn't convinced you yet, then you won't get my sympathy when it gets stolen. And it will get stolen, that's just a matter of time.

#225930 - 21/07/2004 16:31 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: jnmunsey]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
I don't really want to reveal this, but I rarely take mine out of the car. It really is a hassle, and quite dorky if you ask me. Ok maybe when I am at home it makes more sense, but I ain't lugging that thing into a restaurant, movie theater, or similar.

One movie theater I frequent finally chased me down after a few months and asked if they could see what was in the plastic case, after I was seated. I showed him, and he left. They haven't asked since.

#225931 - 21/07/2004 16:36 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: Daria]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's one of the advantages of having the empeg bag, it doesn't look like a bomb, so no one ever asks you about it.

The only time I've ever been asked what's in the bag is when I go to a rock concert, and then I just say "it's my car stereo", unzip it, and they let me pass. Really no more inconvenient than the pat-down search they give you.

#225932 - 21/07/2004 17:20 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
That's one of the advantages of having the empeg bag, it doesn't look like a bomb, so no one ever asks you about it.

I've had a nightclub doorman remark you could quite easily fit a handgun in it if the empeg wasn't in there, so I shouldn't be surprised they get suspicous when they see something like that.

Andy M

#225933 - 21/07/2004 22:09 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:

The only time I've ever been asked what's in the bag is when I go to a rock concert, and then I just say "it's my car stereo", unzip it, and they let me pass. Really no more inconvenient than the pat-down search they give you.

I would think a movie theatre is more concerned that it might be a camcorder.

Rob

#225934 - 21/07/2004 22:18 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: rob]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What do they do with people who have photographic memory? Hmmm...

I just leave mine at home all the time now. With no sled in the car, it's an easy choice. My entire car was stolen in minutes while I was asleep, upstairs in my room, not more than 30 feet from it in a straight line. Had the empeg been in it.... Yeah, I'd have to put some hard drives in my spare, but that's not the point.

Bruno

#225935 - 21/07/2004 22:35 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

A big mallet which smacks you over the head so you get amnesia?

#225936 - 22/07/2004 00:38 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:

1) Less protective, if
2) It even exists. I'll believe it exists when I have one.

#225937 - 22/07/2004 01:20 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: Daria]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
4 of 'em over in For Sale. Well, past tense. A number of threads have revealed that Gameboy bags and other simple looking small bags can work instead of the real empeg bag.

Funny, unlike dbrashear, I've never been asked what's in the bomb-like Pelican case I've been carrying around for over a year now. I wonder what I'll say to that first person who asks to see what's inside...

But yeah, it is dorky to take the empeg out of the car. But once you get a nice bag and get in the habit, you won't mind. Nobody will even notice the little bag in your hand or over your shoulder. /me mumbles how rugged man-purses should be socially allowed

#225938 - 31/07/2004 06:05 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: tfabris]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I have had my car broken into before numerous times(they ignored the empeg once, but it was hidden). No my stereo was never taken, but I have had windows broken and other stuff taken. So what if I get my stereo stolen, empeg or not. It isn't that important to me. I like it, but there are a lot more important things to dwell on in life than a car stereo, and to me at least, if my stereo worried me that much I would consider therapy..

Quote:
Quote:
but I ain't lugging that thing into a restaurant, movie theater, or similar.

I had a CD player stolen from my car while I was in a restaurant for a mere two hours. It was in a populated, high-traffic area, in the early evening.

What was stolen was a cheap CD player, easily replaced. Of course, they got into the trunk and stole the subwoofer, too, but that was easily replaced as well. That's not the point.

Have you ever had a stereo stolen out of your car before? Until it's happened to you, you can't know what it feels like. It's a terrible feeling to be victimized like that. In this particular case, I had to drive home for an hour on a cold night, with the passenger side window of my car smashed out, broken glass all over the car interior, and my dashboard ripped apart. Oh, and no music.

Also keep in mind that thieves often steal more than the stereo. In this case, they got several CDs and my checkbook, requiring that I cancel the checking account and open a new one, which of course came with its own hassles when the checks I'd recently written bounced.

You're not just protecting the stereo.

But even if you were, think about how rare and hard to replace your empeg is.

If the above hasn't convinced you yet, then you won't get my sympathy when it gets stolen. And it will get stolen, that's just a matter of time.

#225939 - 31/07/2004 07:38 Re: Empeg Stolen :-( [Re: jnmunsey]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
So what if I get my stereo stolen, empeg or not.

Heresy! Heresy! Burn the witch!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2