Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232125 - 30/08/2004 18:07 Wireless networking questions
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I've got my Empeg setup in another room with my stereo. It looks very good sitting in the MLord dock atop one of my speakers. It does not look so good when I undock it to sync music in the room where my computer is. So, I thought that I'd put it on my wireless network. My frustration level is mounting as I'm wondering if I've even got the right parts to make it work. Any help, advice, or links would be appreciated.

I've got a DSL model hooked into a Linksys wireless router, a wireless bridge hooked into a 5 port hub with 2 computers hooked to the hub, and a single laptop running with a wireless card. All of this is Linksys 802.11b and works most of the time as expected.

I'm trying to introduce an access point(linksys 802.11g which is supposed to be compatible with 802.11b) in place of the bridge and move the bridge to the Empeg in the other room but no dice. (See below for peektures). When I hook up both the bridge and the access point, I can only connect to the router via the bridge or access point but not at the same time. In other words, switching the computer connection between the bridge and the access point results in a router connection with the access point but not the bridge or vice versa depending on which was connected first. Is connectivity even possible with this combination of hardware? Is it expected to that the two devices would block each other? I am running the access point in the default AP configuration but it can be apparently switched to be a bridge also. Would this help?

Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments
231164-Untitled-2.jpg (83 downloads)

Edited by Mach (30/08/2004 18:11)

#232126 - 30/08/2004 18:37 Re: Wireless networking questions [Re: Mach]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Hmm... First stab: Do all three Linksys devices have their own IP addresses, and are they all unique on your network? If you have DHCP set up, are any of them handing out duplicate IP addresses?

If you use the router as your main wireless AP and convert your AP to a bridge, I think it would cut the confusion considerably, but you'd lose some "g" speed on your laptop (perhaps not too much with all that "b" there, though).

I have 2/3 of that at my house (a router/AP in my study and a bridge for my mlord dock). As I type, I'm VPN'd from work to my home router, listening to my empeg which is sitting in my mlord dock!

-jk

#232127 - 30/08/2004 18:56 Re: Wireless networking questions [Re: Mach]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I am running the access point in the default AP configuration but it can be apparently switched to be a bridge also.

AIUI, wireless stations can be in one of four modes: AP, AP client, wireless-bridge, and ad-hoc. The following combinations can communicate:
  • One station in AP mode and all the others in AP client mode
  • All stations in ad-hoc mode
  • Two stations, no more no less, in wireless-bridge mode.
So for your setup, you want the router to be in AP mode (which it will be by default), and everything else to be in AP client mode. Your laptop and your ethernet-to-wireless bridge will both be in AP client mode by default. The confusion arises with your 802.11g access point: you should switch it into "AP client" mode, but it's ambiguous whether its setting for "bridge mode" turns it into a wireless-bridge setup (where only the station configured as the other end of the bridge can communicate with it), or whether it makes it behave like an ethernet-to-wireless bridge (where it's an AP client, possibly one of many).

Peter

#232128 - 30/08/2004 20:34 Re: Wireless networking questions [Re: jmwking]
Mach
old hand

All clients are DHCP except the Empeg. The AP is hardcoded and the Router is also.

I'm not sure what's happening at this point. I'm guessing that the bridge is attempting to connect to the AP instead of the router because when I hook it up, it kills my internet connection.

As far as converting it to a bridge, I think I'm screwed. The documentation regarding bridges reads as follows:

Wireless Bridge - If you are trying to make a wireless connection between two wired networks, select Wireless Bridge. This mode connects two physically separated wired networks with two access points.
To configure a Wireless Bridge environment, click Wireless Bridge and enter the LAN MAC address of the remote access point in the Remote Bridge MAC Address field. The remote access point also needs to be set up as a Wireless Bridge.

#232129 - 30/08/2004 20:38 Re: Wireless networking questions [Re: peter]
Mach
old hand

I attempted to set it to the AP to AP client mode but it requires the MAC address of the remote AP which I am assuming is the router. When I attempt to enter the MAC address, it gives an error saying that the MAC address is not valid. The search feature of the AP setup utility does not find the router either. Hmmm.

Here's what the manual has to say:

AP (Access Point) Client - When set to Access Point Client mode, the Access Point Client is able to talk to one
remote access point within its range. This mode allows the Access Point Client to act as a client of a remote
access point. The Access Point Client cannot communicate directly with any wireless clients. A separate network attached to the Access Point Client can then be wirelessly bridged to the remote access point.

Enter the required LAN MAC address of the remote access point in the Remote AP MAC Address field.
To select an available access point, click the Site Survey button and choose from the access points listed by
clicking on the radio button for the appropriate access point and clicking the close button. If you do not see an
access point listed, click the Refresh button and another survey will be performed.