Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233527 - 15/09/2004 02:52 America Under Siege Week...
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
BBS members without access to U.S. of A. cable TV channels will be interested to know that it is "America Under Siege Week" on the History Channel.

(Brought to you by Jeep!)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#233528 - 21/09/2004 02:41 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

OK, Nobody from the US - or anywhere - commented on America Under Siege Week on The History Channel (Brought to You By Jeep!)

Those of you who read this brief post may have wondered what point if any I was making with this short notice. Heck, *I* may have wondered. It was prompted by a paradoxical feeling ....

As I drove home from the airport the other evening (I just went out there to fix a ticket) and drove home along the top level of the Alaska Way Viaduct, I looked out at Elliot Bay and the lights of downtown Seattle twinking in the twilight. I remarked to myself "What a beautiful view. What a peaceful view. I mean, look, my car is running like a top, the tank is 3/4 full, and my last fillup only cost me $2.00 a gallon for 92 octane. It seems that all is right with the world."

But when I got home I picked up the TV remote in an idle moment and found the History Channel trumpeting "America

Under Siege Week!" with different programs on the War of 1812, The Battle of the Alamo, and the Hunt for Osama Bin Laden. And I thought "Whoa, America Under Siege!" A) Who are they appealing to with this particular branding and B) Wow, are they *really* using recent tragedies as a marketing lever? "Get your suicide bombers here! Step right up! Get your suicide bombers here on the Hystery Channel!" Yes, America Under Siege Week, brought to you by that most-American-of-militarily-derived-vehicles, Jeep!

I felt like that was pretty cheap. Under siege? What the hell? Looks like any other nice evening outside. Restaurants doing a good business, everybody driving around in their SUVs. No long lines around the block to get milk or bread at the 7-11. My direct deposit paycheck worked again. UPS showed up with some stuff from NewEgg and my DSL is blinking away. But....

In his book, "Imperial Hubris", the author "Anonymous" (nee Mike Scheuer) decries the US' infatuation with sentimental exaggeration of tragedy -- yellow ribbon syndrome, you might call it -- he's asking "When are we going to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and figure out that we are actually at war?" -- that more sacrifices remain ahead. The paradox, then, is this superficial sense of DSL/SUV normalcy overlaid with heroic History Channel programming for a feel-good evening all the while knowing that things really aren't quite right.

Sad to say, as much as I think Bush deserves to lose, I don't think it is going to matter too much either way. I think the damage has been done. Civil war a-coming in Iraq. A bigger quagmire awaiting in....Pakistan? Go ahead, convince me that the election might matter!

Somewhere in that book, after raking Bush over the coals for this complete cock-up in Iraq and just how much Bush has played into Bin Laden's hands, he mentions the number of suitcase nukes in the former Soviet arsenel that are unnacounted for. The exact number escapes me. 100? 150?

It is a sad, but inescapable thought: will the History Channel do a special if and when we see one of these small guys get lit off here in the US? (Where else would OBL want to light one off? He's made it pretty clear to the rest of the world that his beef is with US.) And should the History Channel make it a 2-hour special, or maybe 3 1-hour episodes?

The Department of Fatherland Security warns against the possibility or really bad things happening that could interfere with the November election. I don't think so. A real evildoer would wait until January. "You see, it doesn't matter who you elect".

Cheers,

#233529 - 21/09/2004 03:03 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
as much as I think Bush deserves to lose, I don't think it is going to matter too much either way.

I think the big difference lies in the area of diplomacy with our allies. Has the damage in the Middle East been done? Yeah. But what about the rest of the world?

#233530 - 21/09/2004 03:05 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
OK, Nobody from the US - or anywhere - commented on America Under Siege Week on The History Channel (Brought to You By Jeep!)

i watch the Daily Show and not much else new

Quote:
As I drove home from the airport the other evening (I just went out there to fix a ticket) and drove home along the top level of the Alaska Way Viaduct, I looked out at Elliot Bay and the lights of downtown Seattle twinking in the twilight.

Isn't that "Alaskan Way", namely, the road which will be torn down due to the need for a seismic refit?

#233531 - 21/09/2004 12:20 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: Daria]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I would have liked to have seen the bit about the War of 1812, but my schedule didn't allow it. I could do without the rest of the "specials."

#233532 - 21/09/2004 12:29 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Then surely you saw Lewis Black's rant on this very topic last week? He showed a whole bunch of examples of people using September 11th for marketing purposes, including a commemorative coin with the twin towers on it (made with real silver miraculously rescued from Ground Zero!!!!) that they were selling for, you guessed it, $19.95. Usually people laugh at this type of stuff in Lewis Black's segment, but the audience just sat there in stunned silence, I'm sure questioning their faith in humanity that someone could use a national tragedy as a money-making opportunity.

Then again, what's more American than making money off of other peoples' stupidity?

#233533 - 21/09/2004 12:57 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:

Then surely you saw Lewis Black's rant on this very topic last week?

Yup. And I've seen the commercial for those coins, too. Seems crass. Just like the "Flight 93 tours" sign along the PA Turnpike in Somerset County.

#233534 - 21/09/2004 14:57 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: tonyc]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Quote:
Then again, what's more American than making money off of other peoples' stupidity?
Making money off their misery?

#233535 - 21/09/2004 17:43 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: jimhogan]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK

#233536 - 21/09/2004 23:25 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: Daria]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Isn't that "Alaskan Way", namely, the road which will be torn down due to the need for a seismic refit?

Yes, Alaskan Way. I'm not a native! So sue me!

As to whether it will be torn down before it falls to an earthquake, that is one for the bookmakers. Given the glacial, NIMBY politics in this town, I'd bet on the earthquake.

A great view Northbound from the top deck. I try not to think of it collapsing while I take in the view. Too busy thinking about nukes.

#233537 - 22/09/2004 00:00 Re: America Under Siege Week... [Re: pca]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/week/020923.htm

I read their earlier report and though that it was couched in a lot of "based on non-confidential/secret information". So when I read Scheuer's book I thought, hey, this guy is active CIA. Why would he say ~100 nukes? Of course now I can't find that reference in the book. Am I conflating expert and non-expert authors?

I used to work on a psych ward with a guy who went on to be one of the experts in the disarmament field - think he is on the board at Monterey - hear him on the radio all the time. I should call hime up and go "Hey, Joe. Jim Hogan. Remember me? Yeah, so what's the deal with suitcase nukes?"

The way I don't spend a lot of time think about the collapse of the *Alaskan* Way Viaduct, I don't hide in my basement (don't have a basement, actually) waiting for the Big One.

I am not too optimistic, though, and wonder where things will spiral to if and when the other shoe drops. We have clearly gotten into a no-win situation in Iraq, and I fear that the rote reaction of the current government will be "We've got to push the arrow through to remove it!" Where 3 years ago we might have appeared invincible, the limitations of our military power are now exposed for all of our non-friends to see. We have essentially adopted defensive positions in Afghanistan and Iraq while still reinforcing extremists. I really wonder how long before Musharef is assasinated and parts of the Pakistani arsenel fall into different hands.....or not......you *know* that a team in the Pentagon is working on a war plan for a preemptive strike against Pakistan's nukes. Push...the arrow....through.