Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#257170 - 29/05/2005 15:45 Install frustration and question
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I have Diamond 400s speakers on my front doors. For the third time I have lost my left front speaker. The first time it went out it took 3 weeks to get a warranty replacement and that lasted two days before it blew again. They sent back the speaker and the crossover which took 6 weeks to get back. That lasted two weeks and it has gone out again. The install shop where I have been going has gone out of business (Friday was their last day) so now I have to find another shop. My question is, what could be causing the speaker to keep blowing? I have also had to replace the sub recently. I never go above 0db and usually listen to it quieter than that.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#257171 - 30/05/2005 03:17 Re: Install frustration and question [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
what could be causing the speaker to keep blowing?

I doubt that you're playing them too loud. If you were cranking enough volume through them to damage them, your ears would probably fail before the speakers did. Those Diamond Audio speakers are pretty robust.

If I recall correctly, the 400 series is a composite set -- a 4" speaker and a 1" tweeter, coming off a common crossover.

I would check and double check the crossover settings. About the only way you could wreck that speaker (I'm assuming it's the 4", not the tweet that is failing?) is by running too much low frequency into it. Those Diamond Audio crossovers are fairly complex and tricky to configure. If somehow you were set to low-pass at the crossover point instead of high-pass, bad things would happen. That's an unlikely scenario, though -- those door speakers would sound pretty awful if that were the case.

tanstaafl.

#257172 - 30/05/2005 09:21 Re: Install frustration and question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

There did seem to be a lot of bass coming from them. I guess I need to find a good shop that knows what they are doing, especially since that is the only way to keep the warranty intact. I'll have them check how the crossover is set up. Thanks for the advice.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#257173 - 31/05/2005 20:42 Re: Install frustration and question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

Well, I took it to another shop this morning after everything quit working. They found multiple problems with the install. First of all the sub wires came out of the amp and were shorting out on my metal partition causing everything to quit. They also took the sub out of the enclosure after it wouldn't work when hooked back up and found the wrong size connectors had been used and they had come undone. Next thing wrong was the crossover hadn't been properly attached to the door and the door window up and down movement had knocked it off causing some of the connectors to come off. But when reattached they found that the tweeter was bad shorting out the whole system so the other shop must not have even attached it. Gee, no wonder they went out of business with such a crappy install that came apart after 2 weeks. The good part is that I found a shop to go to for my next install.

MKI #017/90

whatever