Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263824 - 02/09/2005 21:01 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that, but doesn't utwente have some sort of open access?

Cool, are you familiar with the university? We do have VPN's that are given to students, however you'd see that in the hostname, and all students here are given free internet access through the univeristy network, which is very nice. ;p

Many people here in Holland have taken a special interest in this disaster, due to some of our 'polders' being in similar predicaments as New Orleans.

Edited by Billy (02/09/2005 21:09)

#263825 - 02/09/2005 21:07 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay. Let's assume you're being honest. First off, I think a comparison of guns in red areas versus guns in blue areas would be interesting. Second, despite the fact that NO may well be a very blue area, that still means that you have at least 25% conservatives there, and that's probably a very low estimate. Third, most of the po-ass folks I know are very conservative. They don't seem to follow that that's probably pretty hypocritical to stupid, but them's the facts. Fourth, the reason these people are poor is because they were born poor, not because they chose to become poor or stay poor. When you're in a hole, it's pretty hard to get yourself out of it. It's even harder when you've never seen above it.

Basically, your argument is spurious and offensive. Pretty much the definition of the characteristics of a troll. Odd how trolls always claim they don't know what trolls are.

That said, you do have points about why certain things weren't done by NO itself before the fact. But those arguments, while intellectually important, aren't really relevant now. No more than why NO was built in a hole in the first place. The only people that can help at this point are people from elsewhere, and they're just not getting the job done. It's better to prevent fires than to fight them, but just because they weren't prevented doesn't mean you should ignore them when they burn, even if your only reason is to prevent damage to the rest.

#263826 - 02/09/2005 21:10 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Hmm, I've never heard of this type of thing happening in Idaho. Perhaps they do have militias - I don't know - but I'm not aware of any disasters, riots, or eruptions of anarchy.

Google for "montana militia". Idaho is right next to Montana, and they have very similar groups there. Despite their stated stances, they're effectively anarchist organizations.

#263827 - 02/09/2005 21:23 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Okay. Let's assume you're being honest. First off, I think a comparison of guns in red areas versus guns in blue areas would be interesting. Second, despite the fact that NO may well be a very blue area, that still means that you have at least 25% conservatives there, and that's probably a very low estimate. Third, most of the po-ass folks I know are very conservative. They don't seem to follow that that's probably pretty hypocritical to stupid, but them's the facts. Fourth, the reason these people are poor is because they were born poor, not because they chose to become poor or stay poor. When you're in a hole, it's pretty hard to get yourself out of it. It's even harder when you've never seen above it.

Basically, your argument is spurious and offensive. Pretty much the definition of the characteristics of a troll. Odd how trolls always claim they don't know what trolls are.

That said, you do have points about why certain things weren't done by NO itself before the fact. But those arguments, while intellectually important, aren't really relevant now. No more than why NO was built in a hole in the first place. The only people that can help at this point are people from elsewhere, and they're just not getting the job done. It's better to prevent fires than to fight them, but just because they weren't prevented doesn't mean you should ignore them when they burn, even if your only reason is to prevent damage to the rest.

Good points, though putting aside the larger red and blue sides of this issue, my understanding is that a large majority of the guns that are being used by the gangs ruling the streets of N.O. were looted from gun stores?

I agree that it's useless to point fingers when there are still people to be rescued, but I only brought up how NO could have done more because others brought up how the federal government could have done more. I really don't see how this inevitable disaster can be blamed on the president when the problem has been known for decades. From my view here, it doesn't appear that the president doesn't WANT to help, but just that the logistics of this situation is a nightmare. One thing the president could do is allow the dutch teams of dyke technicians to provide their support. I can understand turning down cash from other nations, but turning down technical assistance from the world's best dyke engineers doesn't seem to be wise.

#263828 - 02/09/2005 21:25 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Why didn't mayor Nagin deploy these buses when the mandatory evacuation was ordered?

Hm, he should better have good explanation for that...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#263829 - 02/09/2005 21:31 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
One thing the president could do is allow the dutch teams of dyke technicians to provide their support. I can understand turning down cash from other nations, but turning down technical assistance from the world's best dyke engineers doesn't seem to be wise.

There's a really huge joke here, but I can't bring myself to make it.

#263830 - 02/09/2005 21:37 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: Daria]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holland is full of big dykes (sp?), and we have an intimate knowledge of their uses.

Edited by Billy (02/09/2005 21:41)

#263831 - 02/09/2005 21:40 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state.

Total rubish! As you might know (you are Duch, right?), calling USA 'welfare state' compared to almost anything in Europe (or at least its richer part) is comical. And yet, our disaters (like floods we just had in Switzerland and Germany, or those really catastrophical two (three?) years ago) look remarkably different.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#263832 - 02/09/2005 21:43 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state.

Total rubish! As you might know (you are Duch, right?), calling USA 'welfare state' compared to almost anything in Europe (or at least its richer part) is comical. And yet, our disaters (like floods we just had in Switzerland and Germany, or those really catastrophical two (three?) years ago) look remarkably different.

Very interesting point. i think the difference is that in the large american cities, there are 'haves' and 'have-nots', but here everyone is a 'have'. And in NO, the haves and have-nots are also seperated by race, but here they largely are not. And it's strange that those that are supported by the government here are 'haves', but the people on welfare there are still dirt poor? It seems that the entire black population has become dependant on the government in america?

Edited by Billy (02/09/2005 21:51)

#263833 - 02/09/2005 21:58 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
And it's strange that those that are supported by the government here are 'haves', but the people on welfare there are still dirt poor?

See? The solution is more of welfare state, not less...

Quote:
It seems that the entire black population has become dependant on the government in america?

Now, this is extremely unfair and dangerous sweeping generalization.

#263834 - 02/09/2005 22:05 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
I really don't see how this inevitable disaster can be blamed on the president when the problem has been known for decades.

We could start with President Bush's policies and Administration directly refusing to fund the maintanence and support of the New Orleans Levee system. We could continue with the Administraion's direct involvement of reducing the scope and ability of FEMA to do anything. We could continue with the Administration's continued budget cutting against specific warnings about situations like this.

What this Administration has done instead is to reduce the federal revenue by cutting taxes for the wealthy, and spending huge amounts of the rest of the budget on a poorly cosidered military activity. There is no funding or ability for the parts of the goverment that should be able to deal with this situation, to deal with this situation.

#263835 - 02/09/2005 22:08 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
My point about red and blue is that the 'have-nots' are usually very reliant on the state, which is a staple of the 'blue' side.

I hate to break it you, but the myth that the poor vote Democrat and the rich vote Republican is just that, a myth. The poorest (and least educated) states are primarily Republican. Here are some links for your perusal:

http://uspolitics.about.com/library/bl_education_vote.htm
http://www.reachm.com/amstreet/archives/2005/05/02/median-income-by-state/

I read an interesting book about this recently, "What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America". It is quite interesting how the American people have been completely hoodwinked into supporting politicians that hurt them and the nation.

#263836 - 02/09/2005 22:08 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
One thing the president could do is allow the dutch teams of dyke technicians to provide their support. I can understand turning down cash from other nations, but turning down technical assistance from the world's best dyke engineers doesn't seem to be wise.

That's one of the few things you've said that I can agree with completely.

#263837 - 02/09/2005 22:14 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: Mataglap]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'm just waiting for Godwin's Law to kick in. We're perilously close.

#263838 - 02/09/2005 22:29 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: bonzi]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, you're right that the problems can't be completely contributed to welfare. I'm starting to think that there are huge racial problems under the surface in the US that are one day going to erupt into a race war. Just look at who owns the businesses in NO and who is conducting the rescue efforts - mostly white. And look at who is living in and controlling NO - mostly black. I'm not racist, but it would appear that race is playing a role in this situation, one way or another, eventhough i think people are afraid to say it.

Billy

#263839 - 02/09/2005 22:33 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Quote:
being used by the gangs ruling the streets of N.O. were looted from gun stores?

Phfffft, not likely.

Last year, university researchers conducted an experiment in which police fired 700 blank rounds in a New Orleans neighborhood in a single afternoon. No one called to report the gunfire.

From the same article above:

The city’s murder rate is still far lower than a decade ago, when New Orleans was the country’s murder capital. But in recent years, the city’s homicide rate has climbed again to nearly 10 times the national average.

I have a friend in the construction business (correction: was in the construction business ). The first 3 months of each year he was booked solid patching roofs because the custom is to shoot guns in the air on New Year's Eve.

Quote:
One New Orleans "tradition" which has been getting unwanted attention is the shooting of guns into the air for midnight. Despite the fact that authorities have been cracking down hard on the offenders, it still remains a problem – 5 people were hit on New Year's Eve 2001. Even the mayor himself once said, "I would take cover at midnight myself, and I know that's not possible for everyone to do in the French Quarter because of the density of people there... There are risks to being outside. I cannot guarantee anyone's safety."

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/01-12/big-easy-holidays-new-orleans-louisiana-usa.html

#263840 - 02/09/2005 22:35 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
My point about red and blue is that the 'have-nots' are usually very reliant on the state, which is a staple of the 'blue' side.

I hate to break it you, but the myth that the poor vote Democrat and the rich vote Republican is just that, a myth. The poorest (and least educated) states are primarily Republican. Here are some links for your perusal:

http://uspolitics.about.com/library/bl_education_vote.htm
http://www.reachm.com/amstreet/archives/2005/05/02/median-income-by-state/

I read an interesting book about this recently, "What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America". It is quite interesting how the American people have been completely hoodwinked into supporting politicians that hurt them and the nation.

That could be so, however, from my experience, most large towns in the US have a rich side and a poor side. I was in the US during the last election and it seemed that the poor sides were democratic and the rich sides were republican, judging by the political signs I saw. Although that could have just been restricted to the region I was in (the southeast).

Billy

#263841 - 02/09/2005 22:38 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: Mataglap]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Oh, here's something else to look at. The Administration out-sourced and privitized disaster preperation for New Orleans.

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2005/09/politics-of-weather-3-shyness-of.html

#263842 - 02/09/2005 23:31 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Possible apologies to Brad here, but I agree with everything you say. And you can look to my sig to where I think all bucks stop. That doesn't mean blame for SELA can't be laid at the doorstep of previous administrations. Right now, though, somebody else has the ball.

No need to appologize. I didn't send you a PM saying your post was a good read because I thought that for once you and I were in total agreement on an issue. I tipped my hat to you because your post was very tasteful despite the fact that I assumed if you had verged into the political mud slinging you and I would have come up on opposing sides. You saw this for what it is. A tragety. Not a political opportunity.

But I'll admit I'm done with this thread. I only skimmed the pages to see if you had a follow up and to see if there was anything specific to me that needed attention. I'm sure many of you have great points but my stomache is aching over this devistation enough already. I don't need empegBBS Crossfire to make it any worse.

So does anyone think there will ever be an Alpha 12? Why does my empeg still smell like burnt electronics?

#263843 - 03/09/2005 00:14 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
We have them here too, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to use one. good luck.

(sorry couldn't resist)

#263844 - 03/09/2005 03:26 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I only brought up how NO could have done more because others brought up how the federal government could have done more.

There's no doubt that everyone could have done more, but just about the only group that could do more now is the Federal Government. This is why FEMA exists, and they seem to simply not be doing their jobs. To continue my previous analogy, it's like you're trying to say that the fire department shouldn't be being yelled at for standing by while a building burns because no one's complaining that the people in the building shouldn't have had that bad electrical wiring to begin with.

#263845 - 03/09/2005 04:09 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: pca]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Who's going do the first "Nagin for President" T-shirts?

I'm not sure that I think Nagin is presidential material -- 'course lately you could be a Madagascar ring-tailed lemur and get yourself elected if you opposed gay marriage -- but I do at least appreciate that he seemed to be at least *trying* to do the right thing.

Poor Nagin, in good faith he was probably trying to follow all of the disaster plans that they had worked through with the state of Louisiana and FEMA. The notion of pulling the most vulnerable into the Superdome seemed to make a lot of sense. Piece of cake. Once the hurricane has passed, then you just sit tight and wait for the airdrop of bottled water and C-rats...

...hmmmm, seems that was too complicated.

I was reading a few BBS today and I was depressed to see some ignorami opine on how the locals trapped in New Orleans deserved their distress because they ignored directives to flee.

What a bunch of complacent shits. Good god I hope that when the tsunami shit hits the fan here that we get a little more sympathy.

Earth to ignorami: Some very good, salt-of-the-earth people - people who you would do well to emulate and who you would be lucky to be compared to -- don't have bus fare to flee hurricanes. Some others are old. Some are infirm. Many work two jobs just to make ends meet. Oh, that doesn't work for you! Let's try this: women, nurses, not even poor -- I mean *white* women if that's what it takes to get your attention -- let the network news folks know that they have been abandoned by their government. What is your spin on *that*?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#263846 - 03/09/2005 04:29 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: Mataglap]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Here's a Washington Post article about some of the very real consquences of Katrina beyond the obvious.

That is an impressive list. We are probably just figuring this out.

Quote:
We live in a complicated interconnected world, and our goverment needs to understand it and behave in a way that acknowledges it. The current administration doesn't, isn't, and refuses to acknowledge facts. They are not "reality-based"

Not to be *too* much of a snob, but this has been pretty obvious to some of us for a while. 'Course those folks who voted for Shrub call us effete elitists. Oh, I don't know. Do they call us that? They don't like us. I know they call us something!

Quote:
*Remember that gem from a quotation in an October 17 New York Times article by Ron Suskind quoting an unnamed aide to the (current) President.

Sadly, I remember this quote very,very well. But some proportion of voting-age Americans -- perhaps a majority! -- saw fit to vote for the ticket of the neocon empiric reality molders.

More sadly, I am concerned that these ignorami have won. Hurricanes or no, the DNC offers no real alternative. I think that I am going to gather up all my powdered milk, all of my beef jerky, all of my AA batteries, and all of my 9mm cartridges and just tip-toe up to the attic.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#263847 - 03/09/2005 05:59 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: jimhogan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't see why some people always try to villify those in power in situations like this. I might not like some things Bush does, but I can't see how he is responsible for this natural disaster. You should cut the man some slack, he is your president. You say it appears he's doing nothing, but he's probably just away from the cameras, getting down to business, where as the mayor of New Orleans has time to do interviews to rant about the Iraq war, which is just useless in a crisis like this. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't want to rescue the survivors, it's just a huge undertaking. A huge city is underwater, in a devasted region, supplies are short (even for the rescuers), and to make matters worse armed gangs are shooting at police, helicopters, and boats.

Here's a flashback to a news article from 28 August:
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/...ylist=louisiana

Quote:
The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Quote:
Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.

I think some people just don't like George Bush, and anything bad that happens in the world gives them an opportunity to somehow lay the blame on him.

Billy

#263848 - 03/09/2005 06:05 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's streaming audio of the louisiana police and national guard radio traffic. http://ev1helps.net:8080/lspbtr

I've been listening to that for the last couple of days, and so far i think it's the best source of information, though it takes a bit of patience

#263849 - 03/09/2005 07:07 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Here's streaming audio of the louisiana police and national guard radio traffic. http://ev1helps.net:8080/lspbtr

Some friends were listening to it, and said they had heard (among many other grim things) the direct reports of bad goings-on in the superdome. For instance, they heard the police calls that someone had been shot, the night before the Mayor was shown on television saying that there had been no shootings in the superdome and that it was a false rumor.

#263850 - 03/09/2005 12:56 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The US had a faster response to the Christmas Tsunami halfway around the world than they're having to this, within its own borders. We have an organization explicitly dedicated to disaster management and they seem to not know what to do. We've been curtailing our civil liberties over the last four years so that the government might have a better response to disaster, and it seems that, at best, we are no more prepared to cope now than we were then. The time will come for people to point fingers at Nagin for not mobilizing those schoolbuses, at New Orleans and Louisiana for not having better levees, at those stupid enough not to leave who had the opportunity and means, but for now, we've got to complain that the people who have the power to fix these things, or at least help, are not doing enough.

Quote:
[Bush is] probably just away from the cameras

Nope. That's one of my problems. He felt the need to go down there to have a photo opportunity. But he didn't even bother to go to New Orleans. I'm sure that it's too devastated for his swagger to make it all feel good.

Now he's saying "The results are not acceptable," only to qualify that later with "I'm satisfied with the response, I'm not satisfied with all the results." And he says this like he's not the person in charge of getting this done. People in the US, and probably moreso in the rest of the world, don't seem to understand that it's not the President's job to make laws or pass a budget or declare war. It is explicitly his job to run the country, to deal with the actual events that make the country work. This is the most presidential duty there is, to protect and save his citizens, and he seems like he's busy not doing it. I suppose he did have to cut his vacation short.

#263851 - 03/09/2005 16:51 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Argh. Just watching CNN and some FEMA official just said that the problem is not that there's not enough National Guardsmen, but that it takes time to deploy them, and I quote "we don't get them ready in 24 hours, unless, you know, it's some big emergency".

Apparently they still don't think that it's a big emergency.

#263852 - 03/09/2005 17:25 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: Laura]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I haven't seen anyone post this link yet, but for those of you that are able to house some of the displaced victims, go to www.hurricanehousing.org and you can post how many people you can house, if they can bring animals and other questions. I know I live far from the south, but I posted that I could take in a couple of people. I'm sure there are others on the board that can do this. It's one way to help out.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#263853 - 03/09/2005 18:30 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I don't see why some people always try to villify those in power in situations like this. I might not like some things Bush does, but I can't see how he is responsible for this natural disaster. You should cut the man some slack, he is your president. You say it appears he's doing nothing, but he's probably just away from the cameras, getting down to business, where as the mayor of New Orleans has time to do interviews to rant about the Iraq war, which is just useless in a crisis like this. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't want to rescue the survivors, it's just a huge undertaking. A huge city is underwater, in a devasted region, supplies are short (even for the rescuers), and to make matters worse armed gangs are shooting at police, helicopters, and boats.

Billy

Well...

1) It took him two days to decide to end his vacation and do anything.

2) There'd be 8000 more Louisana and Mississippi National Guards if they weren't off in Eye-Raq fighting that war over WMD, oops, I meant Freedom. Oops. Terrorism. Oops, keeping the oil from Al Quaeda. Or whatever the excuse will be tomorrow.

3) He cut funding from the Army Corps of Engineers knowing that it would impact plans to strengthen the N.O. levees.

4) He cut FEMAs authority, budget and capability.

That's a pretty damning indictment right there. And then let's look at what he's said since Katrina;

1) He called for "Zero Tolerance" for lawlessness, including looting. He could have called for restraint. He could have called out specific crimes that we all agree shouldn't be happening - violence, gun crime, theft of non-essentials and valuables. He didn't - he told tens of thousands of people entering a scorching day 3 without water, food, shelter, medicines or means of escape, that they weren't allowed to provide for themselves.

2) He claimed that noone had predicted the breaching of the levees. Obviously he wasn't watching CNN or the Weather Channel last Saturday then because that concern was certainly raised then. Obviously he didn't listen to the Army Corps of Engineers when they were previously discussing strengthing the levees. If he had he would have known that they were only designed for category 3 hurricanes. Obviously he didn't get the memo in mid 2001 that spelled out the 3 worst disaster scenarios for the US. (It must have gotten lost along with the memo about known terrorists learning to fly planes and wanting to hijack planes in the US). Come on, cut me a break here. Do you really believe that after the Tsuami that no one briefed the President about potential storm surge risks?

3) “It’s devastating,” POTUS said as he watched, according to Scott McClellan. “It’s got to be doubly devastating on the ground.” Doubly?! I would think that sitting on your rooftop for 3 days without food or water, knowing that everything that you owned is gone, is a little more that 'doubly' devastating that seeing the destruction from the luxury of your private 747 during a 30 minute flyby.

Frankly, this president is completely ineffective. He's zero for three. Osama, Iraq, Katrina. IMO, the only reason that he hasn't been, and won't be, impeached is because nobody wants Cheney either.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >