Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#263884 - 05/09/2005 14:53 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
While I now reside in Europe, I grew up in the southern US, and I went to a predominantly (80-90%) black school in a poor neighborhood from 6th to 8th grade, and I saw more blatent racism there than I've seen anywhere else.

Ah ha, I knew you weren't Dutch. After visiting there several times and knowing a couple of others in my life, I thought it was exceptionally odd that you were spouting the crap you were; the Dutch I know are better than that.

Quote:
Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but people colored other than white are capable of racism too.

Oh, I would certainly never deny that fact. But when you spout stuff like "the entire black population has become dependant" and "the vast majority (not all) of the people who stayed behind were the welfare and criminal class" and imply that Darwinism means these people should die, well, congratulations, you are one too.

#263885 - 05/09/2005 15:29 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Oh, I would certainly never deny that fact. But when you spout stuff like "the entire black population has become dependant" and "the vast majority (not all) of the people who stayed behind were the welfare and criminal class" and imply that Darwinism means these people should die, well, congratulations, you are one too.

Careful. I don't know what you have personally against this dude, but you have yet to put anything but emotion into the words.

My understanding from the online media, politicians, and local and law-enforcement officials, and somebody earlier in this thread who is THERE, was that "the vast majority (not all) of the people who stayed behind were the welfare and criminal class" is a fairly accurate assessment.

Slightly awkward wording perhaps, I might suggest using "classes" rather than class, just to emphasize potential differences and non-overlap between the welfare and criminal classes. But poverty (welfare class) and street crime (criminal class) have been proven across the USA (the world?) to have a high overlap.

EDIT: wait.. follow-up posting in the works

Cheers

Edited by mlord (05/09/2005 15:36)

#263886 - 05/09/2005 15:44 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, I went back a page in this thread and re-read a number of posts by Billy.

Quote:
Maybe Springer should ask "if this happened in Idaho, would armed gangs be looting, murdering, raping, and attacking search and rescue teams?" Face it, this anarchy wouldn't happen in a 'red' county, and Orleans parish looks to be solidly 'blue':
My point about red and blue is that the 'have-nots' are usually very reliant on the state, which is a staple of the 'blue' side.

I don't know. I personally think the same chaos would have happened in any hot (temperature), densely populated USA city that was left without food, water, power, and policing for as long as NO was after the hurricane. But we won't know until it happens elsewhere.

Quote:
Politicians and officials should be blamed for late action or inadequate planning, but you can't blame them for the anarchy in NO that has hampered the rescue. You can't help people who refuse to help themselves.

That last remark is inflammatory. I feel that the vast majority of folks who were still in NO at the time of that remark were good people who simply wanted to be helped out of a very bad situation. A number of them might be not so good people, but still in need of assistance. They weren't hampering the rescue, and would aid themselves as much as they could.

The violent people with guns were/are far fewer, and are the ones in the way of the rescue operations (even today). It was a bad and tasteless generalization to lump them together with the others.

-ml

#263887 - 05/09/2005 15:56 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
ninti
old hand

You know, the things that really bugs me about the discussion here is the belief of some that the violence in New Orleans was the result of all the black people, rather than the result of just plain anarchy. The fact is that violence is not a black condition, it is a human condition. Any society that has broken down erupts in violence, no matter what race the people are. To believe that if the people of New Orleans were white this wouldn't have happened is racist, as well as not having any basis in history. It was compared to Lord of the Flies in a post above, but that book was not written about black kids, but white ones. Certainly enough examples of lawless anarchy turning into violence can be found for any race of people throughout history. Any time that an area devolves into lawlessness, violence always follows, and the bigger the area the worse the problem. People die in riots all over the world all the time, and they don't have anywhere close to the number of people involved in this.

The problem isn't the fact these people are black or poor, it is that the goverment failed them on a massive scale not seen before in American history. The superdome was a hellhole no doubt, but where the hell were the cops? Where were the National Guard? Why were they there so long? Did they just take 25,000 traumatized and angry people that have just lost everything they owned, and in some cases everyone they loved, crowd them into a small space and then leave? The results should have been obvious, no matter what race they were.

#263888 - 05/09/2005 16:09 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: mlord]
ninti
old hand

Quote:
Slightly awkward wording perhaps, I might suggest using "classes" rather than class, just to emphasize potential differences and non-overlap between the welfare and criminal classes.

That's the whole point. It is not the first time that he implied there was no non-overlap and those two classes are one and the same. black=poor=criminal.

#263889 - 05/09/2005 18:48 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Each statement by itself isn't really all that bad (except for that last one, possibly), but the overall tone doesn't come across as decent.

#263890 - 05/09/2005 21:41 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: mlord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I did mean to use the word classes, eventhough those two groups overlap quite a bit. I don't understand why it's considered racist in the US these days to state facts like the majority of prison inmates are black, or the majority of black neighborhoods are poor, or that most of the refugees are black. Racism is a feeling of hatred, but these are facts. I don't hate black people - in fact I've had several very good black friends - but I'm honest enough with myself to observe that there's something wrong in the black community. Personally, I think it's their lack of family structures and their thug-like role models.

I don't think this would have happened in a white community. Perhaps it's because whites are on average wealthier than blacks in the US, so they don't see the need to steal a new TV, but who knows. People in europe seem less hesitant to point out racial differences than people in the US, but you're only fooling yourself if you think race hasn't played a role in NO in the last week. You have mostly white national guard units and most white (you call them rednecks) hunters and fishermen conducting the rescue effort, and mostly black refugees mixed in with mostly black criminals. The state of LA isn't like the city LA where people of every race live next to eachother in posh apartments. These black people in NO have lived only among other blacks for probably generations, and have a strong distrust of whitey, and then you have white people who have a strong distaste of blacks going back generations. It's two completely different cultures living side by side. It's no wonder that they're clashing in this situation.

#263891 - 05/09/2005 21:53 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
.. I'm honest enough with myself to observe that there's something wrong in the black community. Personally, I think it's their lack of family structures ..

Now, that is the first clear racist remark I've seen from you. Wrong, too. My experience with black americans is that their family ties are way stronger than I've observed from most non-black families. These people really feel their history and roots, and care deeply about feelings and personal relationships.

But so do a lot of other people.

Quote:
.. and their thug-like role models.

Whereas us non-blacks just have nice role models like Saddam Hussein, Dubya, The UniBomber, Terry Nichols, and that David Koresh guy.

Seriously, you were treading water (just) until that last tirade. Gotta learn to quit while you're still ahead in a few of our eyes. Too late.

#263892 - 06/09/2005 02:45 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
The National guard cordoned themselves in a corridor and protected themselves after one was killed when his rifle was forcibly removed and then used against him. 30 gard against 30000 refugees are NOT good odds. They had to pull back to protect themselves. I had a nice long chat with two of the thirty on Saturday. The police, btw, were riding the streets trying to save as many people as possible. For 72 hours straight without rest. Heros in MY book.

#263893 - 06/09/2005 04:42 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: lectric]
ninti
old hand

Quote:
30 gard against 30000 refugees are NOT good odds.

Please don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to place any of the blame on the police forces in New Orleans, which I am sure were overstretched to the breaking point. I was thinking about why more weren't more brought in quickly from outside. I heard the police force in NO got hit really hard and their numbers were way down from normal from defections and other reasons. The stress of these days will haunt the ones that reported for the rest of their lives. They are indeed real heros. My anger is directed at the lack of support from the goverment.

Please tell me that you were exaggerating and that there were more than 30. I haven't seen the number of how many were supposed to be there, but it is clear regardless that a lots of people, in every branch of goverment, screwed up very very badly.

#263894 - 06/09/2005 05:59 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
I don't understand why it's considered racist in the US these days to state facts like the majority of prison inmates are black, or the majority of black neighborhoods are poor, or that most of the refugees are black. Racism is a feeling of hatred, but these are facts.

Racism, as I've always understood it and as it is usually defined, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with hate. Lets see... here's a dictionary definition:
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

So your walking the thin line of stating statistics that may indeed be factual, and extrapolating from that into statements like "Personally, I think it's their lack of family structures and their thug-like role models." I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you in fact DON'T believe that your statement applies to all black people in the US.

Being from LA I have also experienced racism from both sides more than I'd like to recall. It happens, but you can't let it define a people. It's a struggle when it's something you experience more times than not. It's a tough topic in general. Ugh... I've had to fight racist thoughts my whole life based on experience and being around racist family members growing up, implanting things at a young age. Do you count yourself among those who have a strong distaste of blacks going back generations? Be honest.

I just wish you had a bit more empathy for those affected by all this who aren't there by choice, and understanding that a majority of those left behind weren't looters, thugs, murderers, etc, but victims of them.

In the end, people are people are people. It serves no real purpose to separate everyone into color groups, because each community affects the other, they aren't worlds unto themselves. Those raping and pillaging were also Americans... does that really mean anything? Does it define us that they were a product of this country?

Classicism, that's the differentiating factor. Lack of money = lack of power = lack of education = lack of scope = desperation = etc etc etc...

Edited by loren (06/09/2005 06:16)

#263895 - 06/09/2005 07:25 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: loren]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

So your walking the thin line of stating statistics that may indeed be factual, and extrapolating from that into statements like "Personally, I think it's their lack of family structures and their thug-like role models." I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you in fact DON'T believe that your statement applies to all black people in the US.

I know for a fact that it doesn't apply to all black people. I have absolutely nothing against an individual black person based on the color of their skin. I'm just trying to point out that there are some big problems in their society.

Quote:
It's a struggle when it's something you experience more times than not. It's a tough topic in general. Ugh... I've had to fight racist thoughts my whole life based on experience and being around racist family members growing up, implanting things at a young age. Do you count yourself among those who have a strong distaste of blacks going back generations? Be honest.

Honestly, I wasn't brought up to dislike black people, so if there is some racism in me, it's based solely on personal experiences. Personally, I've found that skin color is no indication of what's in a person's heart. There are good people in every race, but it's hard not to have a distaste for parts of some races' culture.

I guess what I'm saying is if I meet a black person, I won't have anything against him and I might become friends with him, but I wouldn't want to live in a black neighborhood... I guess that is a little bit racist though...

Quote:

I just wish you had a bit more empathy for those affected by all this who aren't there by choice, and understanding that a majority of those left behind weren't looters, thugs, murderers, etc, but victims of them.

In the end, people are people are people. It serves no real purpose to separate everyone into color groups, because each community affects the other, they aren't worlds unto themselves. Those raping and pillaging were also Americans... does that really mean anything? Does it define us that they were a product of this country?

Well said. This disaster probably hit closer to home for you than for most people. If I came off as callous, I apologize. This whole disaster is a tragedy.

#263896 - 06/09/2005 07:36 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: mlord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
.. I'm honest enough with myself to observe that there's something wrong in the black community. Personally, I think it's their lack of family structures ..

Now, that is the first clear racist remark I've seen from you. Wrong, too. My experience with black americans is that their family ties are way stronger than I've observed from most non-black families. These people really feel their history and roots, and care deeply about feelings and personal relationships.

But so do a lot of other people.

Quote:
.. and their thug-like role models.

Whereas us non-blacks just have nice role models like Saddam Hussein, Dubya, The UniBomber, Terry Nichols, and that David Koresh guy.

Seriously, you were treading water (just) until that last tirade. Gotta learn to quit while you're still ahead in a few of our eyes. Too late.

What I mean by lack of family structure is children with no father around. And by role models, I'm talking about the rap stars that have glorified murder and stealing for the last 20 years.

#263897 - 06/09/2005 13:08 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ninti]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Unfortunately, I am not exagerating. There were 30. Their contingent was intended to be a humanitarian effort, not a peace-keeping one. Things just got real ugly real fast. That situation has been rectified now. There are thousands there now.

#263898 - 06/09/2005 14:01 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: ]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
children with no father around.

So, like your average CEO of any major corporation.

#263899 - 06/09/2005 14:59 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: mlord]
loren
carpal tunnel

Read this editorial by Anne Rice in the NYT (don't worry, it's short). Pretty well sums the situation up in my eyes.

#263900 - 06/09/2005 20:49 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: loren]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
"My first thought was, he lied in every word"

I don't typically share in the political side of these discussion as that's how I feel about every politician I've ever encountered. Nagin, Blanco, Edwards, Roemer, Morial, Bush, Clinton...names change but lies and spin seems to be the only consistent things. I first registered to vote in New Orleans so my cynicism is well founded and I feel like some finger pointing is due me too.

During the Northridge or Loma Prieta earthquake or Mount St. Helen's eruption, how fast was response by state and federal authorities? Or on the other coast, after Hurricane Andrew wiped out Homestead, how quickly did the various agencies show up? What is done for disaster planning in other areas prone to natural disasters? What are FEMA responsibilities vs what are local authorities' responsibilities and when? Help me understand what was supposed to happen after the levees breached.

It boggles my mind that the New Orleans mayor and the LA governor did not have this scenario as priority number 1? The city is surrounded by water on 3 sides making relief efforts difficult if not impossible in the event of a direct strike. The city is 8 feet below sea level and Category 3 surges at 9-12 feet above normal. You do the math.

Since 1965, the Army Corp of Engineers and anyone who picked up the Times-Picayune knew even a Cat 3 hurricane stalled over the city would breach the levees. Federal funding for levee improvements? It would have taken 10-15 years to raise the levees. Why wasn't this an issue 15 years ago, when it would have made a difference?

Then someone tell me what was supposed to happen before the levees breached??? I ask because I am obviously missing something here. I've listened to the Nagin sound bite. I read the Anne Rice editorial that Loren posted. I keep coming back to the question. Why are state and city officials not being painted with the same brush as Bush and FEMA? They deserve it, doubly so.

How the hell do you have 20% of the people living below the poverty line and not have a plan to get them out of the city? How could there not have been a contingency plan by local and state officials to evacuate people who had no means to do so themselves? Nagin issued a mandatory evacuation order on Sunday with a Cat 4 hurricane a day away. Every study that I've seen says it takes at least 72 hours to evacuate the 400,000+ residents of New Orleans. Please hold on to those "Nagin for President" bumper stickers. They'll be as valuable as those "Vote for the Crook. It's important!" ones.

When I moved from New Orleans in 1997, the hottest political topic was not hurricanes or that the city was sinking, but instead speculation over who hadn't bribed who in the closing of the new Harrah's Casino. A long line of politicians abandoned New Orleanians years before Katrina made landfall last week.

The people of New Orleans did not ask for or deserve what happened, regardless of who they are or where they lived. I'm sure that they will rebuild, much like people in San Francisco or Pensacola rebuilt but I truly hope that their memories are long.

#263901 - 06/09/2005 21:11 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: Mach]
Mach
old hand

What he said...

Blame Amid the Tragedy

Quote:
In addition, unlike the governors of New York, Oklahoma and California in past disasters, Gov. Blanco failed to take charge of the situation and ensure that the state emergency operation facility was in constant contact with Mayor Nagin and FEMA. It is likely that thousands of people died because of the failure of Gov. Blanco to implement the state plan, which mentions the possible need to evacuate up to one million people. The plan clearly gives the governor the authority for declaring an emergency, sending in state resources to the disaster area and requesting necessary federal assistance.

#263902 - 06/09/2005 22:04 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: Mach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Why are state and city officials not being painted with the same brush as Bush and FEMA?

You're right, and I'm sure they will be. However, right now, only FEMA can actually do anything about it, and the overwhelming opinion is that they have failed to do so in a timely manner, despite the fact that this is precisely what they exist to do.

Steps should have been taken years ago by all involved, from local to federal, but now that the shit has hit the fan, the shitcleaners seem to be staring at it wondering what to do. The reason that people should be complaining about that specifically right now is to get them off of their asses and do their jobs.

To put it in terms with which we're probably mostly more familiar, what if your computer network was the victim of a virus and the people in charge of restoring data were just sitting there as if nothing was amiss? Would you yell at the storage folks or would you yell at the network admins?

#263903 - 06/09/2005 22:10 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: Mach]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This hurricane could have come 10 or 20 years ago and even more people would have died. New Orleans was a doomed city. Everyone knew it. It was just a question of when. Technology just couldn't keep up with mother nature.
If they rebuild NO, it can be flooded by another hurricane next year. I bet more people will heed the evactuation order then.

#263904 - 06/09/2005 23:36 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: wfaulk]
Mach
old hand

This debate will boil down to when aid was requested vs when it was delivered which is why I was asking what happened in other areas ie "timely manner". IIRC, based on the drill done 13 months ago, it was planned to take 3 days to mobilize the people necessary to respond to the crisis to be coordinated by local and state resources. Why 3 days and why work wasn't done to respond faster than 3 days? I wouldn't want to wait 3 days for data retrieval or to be cut out of my attic when I was drowning.

#263905 - 06/09/2005 23:51 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: ]
Mach
old hand

I agree it was a question of when a hurricane of significant size would hit in the right location. Doomed though? No I don't think so.

Quote:
"I bet more people will heed the evactuation order then".

Nice. You've got my troll vote.

#263906 - 07/09/2005 00:20 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: Mach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, the other side of the coin is that, notionally, the federal government has been specifically preparing for four years for a huge disaster, albeit one prompted by terrorism as opposed to weather. But what if the levees had been destroyed by terrorist bombs instead of by a hurricane? The results would have been virtually identical, and they still would have performed poorly. Why have we been giving up our civil liberties if this is the best they can do?

Again, though, I think you're correct in that the Federal Government is not the only one at fault here.

#263907 - 07/09/2005 05:51 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Definitely. As much as I want to get behind Nagin in all of this, it was a ginormous failure of government and bureaucracy on all levels. The disconnect is just astounding, and now they are all putting off the inevitable blame game and maybe rightfully so. The worst part is that they all acknowledge a lot went wrong... every single official on every level I've seen asked a grilling question comes up with that answer: "Yes, things went wrong. There will be a time to investigate what did and how to fix it, that time is not now" but we all know that in the end no heads will roll. They'll all just pat themselves and each other on the back and move on, most definitely so at the higher levels. At least on the lower levels you can SEE the guilt in the faces of those in charge... at least I feel like I can in Blanco's. I think the anger of a lot of the local officials, Parish Presidents, Nagin, et al. is misplaced guilt. Not that they don't truly have the lack of Federal response to be angry at...

I'm rambling, but at any rate, I agree. The breakdown on all levels is staggering and most of all scary as all hell.

I just bought my ticket to New Baton Rouge this morning... one way. I'm headed home to see what I can do.

Does anyone have any ideas on how some like me could contribute in a specialized way? I'm thinking along the lines of organizing getting net access in a shelter, or some things along that line.

#263908 - 07/09/2005 06:05 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: Mach]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't typically share in the political side of these discussion as that's how I feel about every politician I've ever encountered. Nagin, Blanco, Edwards, Roemer, Morial, Bush, Clinton...names change but lies and spin seems to be the only consistent things. n it would have made a difference?

Funny, one of my best friends from high school is Buddy Roemer's son. He posts on my website now and again... he mentioned something about how his dad was pacing and pissed and how if HE was governor still, things would be different. Had to laugh at that.

#263909 - 07/09/2005 09:36 Re: Hurricane Katrina [Re: petteri]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Sigh. Perhaps I am completely insensitive, but this just seems silly. Are the people who just lost everything really concerned about being called "refugees"? In what way is this a "racist" term? Even Bush seems to think that there is some problem with the word (I wonder if he's just trying to show his sensitive side).

I'll tell you, there were a ton of real people in our church this Sunday, some with family who'd lost everything and others who actually came from NO. The sheer numbers were overwhelming. We had no sermon- rather we spend the entire worship service listening to people's stories and praying for them.

Those stories are the real deal. The people suffering and dying in NO right now are the real deal. And I don't think any of them care one lick whether you call them "refugees", "flood victims", or "survivors". They have more important things going on right now.

#263910 - 07/09/2005 10:26 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: loren]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
I just bought my ticket to New Baton Rouge this morning... one way. I'm headed home to see what I can do

Bravo. I'm headed down with a group from my church with a load of supplies this evening. A couple hundred gallons of gas, baby supplies (diapers, formula), feminine supplies, etc. Stuff that is highly needed but not to the point of being distributed by the govmt. Probably won't get much further west then Biloxi. I'll try to document the trip as best I can if anyone is interested.

#263911 - 07/09/2005 10:43 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: JBjorgen]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Actually, I know I am pretty much a no-religion atheist type but this is one thing that I do approve of...church groups can be so amazingly kind, caring and giving to those in real need.

I'm not saying atheists aren't, but a church can give a good focus for care...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#263912 - 07/09/2005 13:48 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmm. It seems the Bush administration declared a state of emergency for the Louisiana Gulf Coast on August 27 (before Katrina's landfall in Louisiana, and well before the levees breached) which gave authority to FEMA.

To quote, in case that goes away:
Quote:
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
August 27, 2005

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

#263913 - 07/09/2005 13:56 Re: Hurricane Katrina Questions [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

And FEMA recruited 1500 firefighters across the country to go into New Orleans. To hand out flyers. Oh, and appear at Bush photo-ops.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >