Quote:
I don't see why some people always try to villify those in power in situations like this. I might not like some things Bush does, but I can't see how he is responsible for this natural disaster. You should cut the man some slack, he is your president. You say it appears he's doing nothing, but he's probably just away from the cameras, getting down to business, where as the mayor of New Orleans has time to do interviews to rant about the Iraq war, which is just useless in a crisis like this. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't want to rescue the survivors, it's just a huge undertaking. A huge city is underwater, in a devasted region, supplies are short (even for the rescuers), and to make matters worse armed gangs are shooting at police, helicopters, and boats.

Billy

Well...

1) It took him two days to decide to end his vacation and do anything.

2) There'd be 8000 more Louisana and Mississippi National Guards if they weren't off in Eye-Raq fighting that war over WMD, oops, I meant Freedom. Oops. Terrorism. Oops, keeping the oil from Al Quaeda. Or whatever the excuse will be tomorrow.

3) He cut funding from the Army Corps of Engineers knowing that it would impact plans to strengthen the N.O. levees.

4) He cut FEMAs authority, budget and capability.

That's a pretty damning indictment right there. And then let's look at what he's said since Katrina;

1) He called for "Zero Tolerance" for lawlessness, including looting. He could have called for restraint. He could have called out specific crimes that we all agree shouldn't be happening - violence, gun crime, theft of non-essentials and valuables. He didn't - he told tens of thousands of people entering a scorching day 3 without water, food, shelter, medicines or means of escape, that they weren't allowed to provide for themselves.

2) He claimed that noone had predicted the breaching of the levees. Obviously he wasn't watching CNN or the Weather Channel last Saturday then because that concern was certainly raised then. Obviously he didn't listen to the Army Corps of Engineers when they were previously discussing strengthing the levees. If he had he would have known that they were only designed for category 3 hurricanes. Obviously he didn't get the memo in mid 2001 that spelled out the 3 worst disaster scenarios for the US. (It must have gotten lost along with the memo about known terrorists learning to fly planes and wanting to hijack planes in the US). Come on, cut me a break here. Do you really believe that after the Tsuami that no one briefed the President about potential storm surge risks?

3) “It’s devastating,” POTUS said as he watched, according to Scott McClellan. “It’s got to be doubly devastating on the ground.” Doubly?! I would think that sitting on your rooftop for 3 days without food or water, knowing that everything that you owned is gone, is a little more that 'doubly' devastating that seeing the destruction from the luxury of your private 747 during a 30 minute flyby.

Frankly, this president is completely ineffective. He's zero for three. Osama, Iraq, Katrina. IMO, the only reason that he hasn't been, and won't be, impeached is because nobody wants Cheney either.