Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#265367 - 13/10/2005 00:32 Re: I hate ticketmaster... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Considering Ticketmaster does little more than run a database and a website, I don't know how they explain their fees except to say they can get away with it.
Well ticketmaster is still around when others failed (tickettron comes to mind), so I can only assume that there is some kind of trick to making their business work.

I also fear that as expensive as they are, the prices are probably what the market can bare. In fact, as long as there is ticket scalping ticket prices are too low.

I don't mean to defend Ticketmaster, but I don't see them as price gouging the way many do. They are providing a service, and while in this age of the internet I'm not sure how much longer it'll be needed, it's still a valuable service.

HOWEVER, this whole thing of killing you with fees rather than just calling the ticket price what it is, that is pure crap. It's even worse than my cell phone bill. I agree with the rest of you on this point- that kind of false advertising (and by "false advertising", I mean it in the practical sense, not the legal sense) makes me not what to do business with them. A band pretty much has to be Rush for me to buy tickets these days.

#265368 - 13/10/2005 13:45 Re: I hate ticketmaster... [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Like I said, I've been buying tickets online for about the only venue I go to, the Cat's Cradle, probably the biggest indie venue in eastern NC, for a few years now at eTix.com. They charge $1.40 per ticket. (I have to print them out, but big deal.) I can also buy at the box office and at a collection of local record stores. I've never had any problem. There's no reason that Ticketmaster needs to charge that much. I understand, but disagree with, your "what the market can bear" standpoint.

#265369 - 13/10/2005 20:42 Re: I hate ticketmaster... [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
There's no reason that Ticketmaster needs to charge that much.
Perhaps, but it's probably about what they CAN do rather than what they NEED to do. If people are willing to pay $45 for a concert ticket, why charge them less?

An interesting side perspective is that I go to mostly Christian concerts these days (unless it is the aforementioned Rush) and even the really big acts (Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman) don't use ticketmaster- tickets are usually sold at Christian bookstores. And they are NOT playing small venues either- the bigger acts play the outdoor theaters that the secular acts do and charge three times as much for. Of course, it is likely that the secular acts are getting paid more, but I think a lot of it boils down to what people are willing to pay, and there are simply more fans of secular music that Christian music, so the prices are higher. Also, having the Christian book stores to distribute tickets helps as well I think (no ticketmaster).

#265370 - 14/10/2005 17:01 Re: I hate ticketmaster... [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, but people are paying to see the show, not to get tickets. The price of the ticket should go up, not the price of the fees. It's not so much that they're gouging us as that they're gouging the artists.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2