Quote:
Some bands are starting to find creative responses to keeping their core fans happy. A friend of mine is a big Matchbox 20 fan and a member of "Fanbox 20" or whatever it's called. She got apparently great tickets through the fan club. I believe U2 is similarly careful to pack the good seats with their fans. Still, as long as there's a demand to pay high dollar for the good seats, then there will be some kind of supply.

Amusing contrast: one of my big hobbies is swing dancing. The swing dancing community, as such, is notoriously cheap. You can go to a weekend event with three live bands (jazz big bands!), after-hours DJed events with food, and more and it's only going to cost you $75 for the whole weekend. But, for many of the people in the community, that's a lot of cash. If you doubled the prices, you'd slash the attendance. For contrast, you can easily spend $75 for a single ticket to a stadium rock show. If they doubled the price, at least for the good seats, they'd probably still have a full house.

(And, since when is Dead Can Dance an obscure band?)

I love Dead Can Dance but I have to admit they are pretty obsure. Most people don't know who they are and their "hit" was in the early 90s.

I'm a member of the NIN fan club and we get access to advanced tickets (through MusicToday or something - lower fees), meet & greets, soundchecks, etc. It seems to be the way to go.