Quote:
There's no reason that Ticketmaster needs to charge that much.
Perhaps, but it's probably about what they CAN do rather than what they NEED to do. If people are willing to pay $45 for a concert ticket, why charge them less?

An interesting side perspective is that I go to mostly Christian concerts these days (unless it is the aforementioned Rush) and even the really big acts (Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman) don't use ticketmaster- tickets are usually sold at Christian bookstores. And they are NOT playing small venues either- the bigger acts play the outdoor theaters that the secular acts do and charge three times as much for. Of course, it is likely that the secular acts are getting paid more, but I think a lot of it boils down to what people are willing to pay, and there are simply more fans of secular music that Christian music, so the prices are higher. Also, having the Christian book stores to distribute tickets helps as well I think (no ticketmaster).