Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267981 - 25/10/2005 16:23 Cool Firefox extensions.
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Most Firefox users are familiar with Adblock, Googlebar, and other widely popular extensions, however, I thought it'd be nice for people to share their favorite lesser-known extensions.

I'll start. Awhile back I installed a Firefox extension called Target Alert because I was sick of following links, only to find that they were MS Word documents, PDFs, etc. that I didn't want to deal with. Target Alert provides visual feedback (in the form of icons) for the target of links on a page. So, next to each non-HTML link, you'll see the icon of the target file type (based only on the extension, so caveat emptor.) You can customize which file types you get icons for, and can even have icons for links which open pop-up windows (target=_blank), links with JavaScript (onClick...) etc.

The best part is that the new version has added the ability to, instead of inserting the icon in-line, have the icon pop up when you mouse over the link, which won't mess with the page's look and feel/formatting as much. Now, when I mouse over a link, I get an instant visual cue that I'm going to open Excel, execute some Javascript, or open a new window.

So, any other goodies we should know about?

#267982 - 25/10/2005 16:42 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I haven't run across Target Alert, but I'll definately check it out.

I currently use 4 extensions:

• Tabbrowser Preferences: Enhances control over some aspects of tabbed browsing.
  • PDF Download: Allows one to choose whether one wants to view a PDF file inside the browser or in a separate window.
  • IE View: Opens pages in IE via Firefox menus
  • Web Developer: Adds a toolbar with various web developer tools (this one is a must have for web designers).

#267983 - 25/10/2005 16:55 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Awhile back I installed a Firefox extension called Target Alert because I was sick of following links, only to find that they were MS Word documents, PDFs, etc. that I didn't want to deal with.
Brilliant! I never even thought to check for something like this. It's exactly what I've needed for soooo long. I HATE accidently clicking on pdf files.

#267984 - 25/10/2005 16:58 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Thanks for the news on Target Alert. I tried it but didn't like it because of how it messes with formating. That mouseover feature sounds good.

I tend not to use any fancy extensions. The very first thing I do after installing Firefox, however, is to install the Clone Window extension. When I first started using the browser, the main difference between it and IE that was a major usability issue was the inability to create a new window with the contents of the current page. This is something I use all the time. I was happy that someone else agreed.

I also use Tabbrowser Preferences

The last one I have installed at the moment is GreaseMonkey with Platypus. Greasemonkey is particularly nice for someone who reads Engadget all day long, as I can remove everything but the stories from the page after it loads. Yeah, I could get an RSS feed, but that's been discussed in another thread. I don't like RSS very much.

That's all I have. Every once and a while I browse the extensions pages, but I rarely find something extremely usefull and written well.

#267985 - 25/10/2005 17:09 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
R.I.P. - Remove It Permanently. Overlaps with AdBlock in functionality but does things AdBlock can't do in removing HTML elements that clutter up the page. Killer feature is it shows you what will be removed before you do it.

Tab Mix Plus - best of the tab pref extensions, imo.

Google Suggest - uses Google's predictive typing in the standard search box

This customization of ForecastFox.

Lots more but those are the most important ones to me. And I really like the Noia Extreme theme.

I'll check out Target Alert again. I had it installed and I liked the concept but not that it messed up the HTML formatting.

#267986 - 25/10/2005 17:22 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: Cybjorg]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
PDF Download: Allows one to choose whether one wants to view a PDF file inside the browser or in a separate window.

I've always wondered why PDF-in-browser exists. How is it any better than just opening the PDF? It's not like you can really embed a PDF in an otherwise normal page, since it has to have all of its toolbars and scrollbars and whatnot. And I don't see how having your web browser also be a PDF viewer is helpful, especially since it has fewer features than the real viewer.

The only thing I can come up with is that it helps in the only-download-some-of-it methodology. Anything else?

#267987 - 25/10/2005 17:25 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: Dylan]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
scrollbar anywhere- love it! just hold down your choice of mouse button and it's as if you were holding the scrollbar.

super drag and go-. click a link and drag it just a bit and it'll open the link in a new page/tab. a great way to open a bunch, but not all links on a page...such as ebay / craig's list.

#267988 - 25/10/2005 17:27 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

One of my favorites is Flashblock. Under Unix machines, it seems that the Flash interpreter is not well optimized and, depending on the actual Flash content, can really slow your box down. This can be really irritating when the Flash is some ad or incidental thing unimportant to the page. Flashblock puts a placeholder in place of the Flash. If you want to actually run it, just click on it. The only problem is that sometimes you have to be a fast clicker in order to not fail a check-for-Flash test.

#267989 - 25/10/2005 17:34 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Extensions:
SpellBound
Tabbrowser Preferences
MAB - Mozilla Amzon Browser
NoScript - WhiteList Sites to allow JavaScript
SomethingAwful Last Read - Get this if your an SA forums member.
Muke Anything - Right click and remove any item current page load only
NextPlease - Gives next page on just about every forums site I use
DownThemAll! - List all items (images, archives, etc...) on a page and allows you to download any of them
CustomizeGoogle - SSL Gmail, Allows use Google Suggest, Remove Google ADS, etc...

Themes:
Noia 2.0 (eXtreame)

Edited: Forgot CustomizeGoogle

Edited by Attack (25/10/2005 17:37)

#267990 - 25/10/2005 18:15 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Currently installed:
  • StumbleUpon
  • Google Toolbar
  • Forecastfox
  • SwitchProxy Tool
  • Tabbrowser Preferences
  • WellRounded
  • Download Manager Tweak
  • Fasterfox
  • CustomizeGoogle
  • ColorZilla
  • Web Developer
  • Adblock
  • Adblock Filterset.G Updater
  • FireFTP
  • FlashGot
  • GooglePreview
  • BugMeNot
  • Dijjeridoo
  • All-in-One Sidebar
  • Adsense Notifier
  • SessionSaver
  • FxIF
  • WebmailCompose

Great stuff.

Edit: Added the extensions from my other computers.

Edited by ricin (25/10/2005 19:42)

#267991 - 25/10/2005 18:16 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wonderful. I went to try out R.I.P., but for some reason the mozdev site is completely useless right now. I can get to the main extensions page, but nothing else comes up. Whenever I select a link or search for anything, it loads a completely blank, white page.

#267992 - 25/10/2005 18:33 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: ricin]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I probably have far too many extensions installed than i need, but i've used most of them at some point,
adblock
tabbrowser prefs
forcastfox
all-in-one-gestures
downthemall
pasteandgo
autocopy (very handy imo)
lorumipsum generator
zoomimage

I also have customise google but there's something broken with it
I have tried to uninstall it and it says it'll be removed on next reboot, but it never does. It has screwed up my google prefs so that searches prefer .co.uk sites. Not great for .com.au which i'd actually prefer.
Anyone know how to get rid of it for good?

#267993 - 25/10/2005 18:38 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just installed Target Alert and it's not working for me. Anyone else have it working under Unix?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Don't everyone disagree at once.

Edited by wfaulk (25/10/2005 20:34)

#267994 - 25/10/2005 19:04 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
Mataglap
enthusiast

RadialContext - Replaces the standard context menu with a radial one. (gestures)
BugMeNot - auto fillin for web registration
Allow Right-Click - defeats some sites right-click blocking
CookieCuller - extended cookie management - flush all cookies except selected ones
SwitchProxy Tool - switch between multiple proxies
Diggler - advanced url manipulation, including go up a level
Adblock Plus - self expanatory
Adblock Filterset.G Updater - self expanatory
Book Burro - check prices on multiple sites
Greasemonkey - if you don't know about Greasemonkey....
Urban Dead Homing Beacon - for urbandead.com, text zombie MMORPG
udtool - for urbandead.com, text zombie MMORPG
Linkification - make text links into clickable
CustomizeGoogle - lots of little things

#267995 - 25/10/2005 19:09 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
My install is:

- Web Developer
- User Agent Switcher
- Greasemonkey/Platypus
- Allow Right Click (now duplicated in FF but neither works)
- Google Toolbar + googlebar (for the right click options)
- Add N Edit Cookies (excellent tool)
- Live HTTP Headers
- Undo Close Tab (VERY useful, if you accidentally close a tab then right click, select and it will reopen it)
- Download Statusbar (undecided about this)

A last one is "Session Saver", however I only used this at work and 1.5b knocked it out. Basically it will preserve nearly everything you were doing in the browser and reopen it where you left off, presumably you can syncronise this across several machines if you want. It will even preserve it after a crash and even restores part-filled forms and text boxes.

Gareth

#267996 - 25/10/2005 20:19 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: g_attrill]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Another vote for session saver. I use it on my powerbook and it's invaluble for firefox crashes if you're the type of person who leaves fifteen tabs open at all times.

Matthew

#267997 - 25/10/2005 20:21 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: wfaulk]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
One of my favorites is Flashblock...

Oh yes, Flashblock is definately a requirement. I once had a situation where I was reading an article in bed, with my headphones on listening to some lovely relaxed Zero 7 and feeling great with myself. Clicked on the next page, and there was the Flash ad, it was that stupid frog making loud annoying noises at me and invading my space. My blood pressure started rising again...

Flashblock and Adblock were promptly installed - will go insane without them.

#267998 - 25/10/2005 20:56 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: sein]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Oh yes, flashblock is one I install so quickly I usually just assume it comes with firefox.

One I looked for a while ago and seems obvious is an "Open in Same Window" menu option right there with open in new window. It seems obvious, there are plenty of times I open in a new tab because it's that or a new window. I should learn how to code firefox extentions I guess.

Matthew

#267999 - 26/10/2005 03:23 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. (err: features) [Re: matthew_k]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
About:config in the address bar gives access to dang near everything not in the options dialog.

#268000 - 26/10/2005 06:54 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: matthew_k]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
"Open in Same Window"

Wouldn't this be the same as just clicking on the link...?

Stig

#268001 - 26/10/2005 10:31 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: StigOE]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Not an extension, but I have just looked at FireTune and it seems to work well.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#268002 - 26/10/2005 11:55 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: StigOE]
sein
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
"Open in Same Window"

Not if it had something like target="_blank" in the link tag, which would give it a new window. Then again, those situations are rare, and I would just copy the link and paste it into the address bar if I knew it was going to happen.

#268003 - 26/10/2005 12:19 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: sein]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Not if it had something like target="_blank" in the link tag, which would give it a new window. Then again, those situations are rare

Except on this BBS, sadly...

Peter

#268004 - 26/10/2005 22:22 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
My current installed plugins:
  • Adblock (my favourite, of course)
  • Flashblock (my next favourite, but I've been noticing the amount of flash it blocks has decreased -- probably because it's being filtered out by Adblock most of the time)
  • Add bookmark here (very handy for adding to heirarchical bookmark lists, without having to constantly open the "Manage Bookmarks" window)
  • Print It! (never use it, though)
  • Plain Text Links (sometimes comes in handy with broken mark-up in forums)
  • fireFTP (never use it -- I always reach for ncftp)
  • Download Statusbar (I hate the download windows, but I want some indication of how my download is going)
  • Dictionary search (never use it -- I don't seem to frequently run into words I can't figure out)
  • Tabbrowser Preferences (my third favourite)
  • MapIt! (gets infrequent use, mostly because it doesn't support Google Maps, yet)
  • jsLib Lite (I really have no idea if I'm using this...)
  • AutoMarks (not bad -- I frequently type URLs in, but I'm not much into the shortcut things)
  • Preferential (I don't change my prefs very often, so it doesn't see much use)
  • Greasemonkey (mostly for the "show the printable version of this news article" scripts)
  • Linky (never use it -- the problem it solves just doesn't seem to be my surfing modus operandi)

#268005 - 26/10/2005 22:39 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Does anyone else think that the "click installer, edit prefs, allow site, close prefs, click installer" method of installing extensions is a little absurd?

#268006 - 27/10/2005 02:41 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: sein]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"Open in Same Window"

Not if it had something like target="_blank" in the link tag, which would give it a new window. Then again, those situations are rare, and I would just copy the link and paste it into the address bar if I knew it was going to happen.

It also has the effect of sucking all popups and popunders into displaying in the current window.

#268007 - 27/10/2005 07:29 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: wfaulk]
sein
old hand

Quote:
Does anyone else think that the "click installer, edit prefs, allow site, close prefs, click installer" method of installing extensions is a little absurd?

It is fairly ridiculous. But then again, I am struggling to think of a much better solution than this kind of whitelist for installing extensions. It would be a little better if it was slightly easier to add a site to the whitelist, but then again the whole idea of the current system is to not make it too easy!

#268008 - 27/10/2005 14:48 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Seems like click-to-install with an are-you-sure dialog would suffice.

#268009 - 27/10/2005 15:01 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Seems like click-to-install with an are-you-sure dialog would suffice.

Please tell me your joking.

This type of install is why the average joe using IE has spyware.

Also if you download the entension you can install it locally without adding the site to an allow list. I also remember seeing some extension to turn off the timer on the OK button for installing extensions / themes.

#268010 - 27/10/2005 15:10 Re: Cool Firefox extensions. [Re: Attack]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Eh. Maybe you're right.

Then again, I've gotten spyware from using IE, and I actually know what I'm doing. It would seem that the invisible security holes in IE are just as bad as the stupid-user security holes.

Edited by wfaulk (27/10/2005 15:11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >