Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27016 - 21/02/2001 17:20 SMB Stack?
forrie
new poster

For file sharing and exchange between the Empeg player and another system on your LAN, why not run Samba (instead of NFS)?

#27017 - 21/02/2001 17:34 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: forrie]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That would be fun. I'd get a kick out of being able to see my Empeg on my Windows Network Neighborhood.

I think, though, that folks have said Samba is a RAM hog and it'd be a hassle to try to run it on the player. Did anyone ever really try?

#27018 - 21/02/2001 19:02 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: tfabris]
forrie
new poster

There are alternatives to this, which would involve using a stripped-down, minimalist web browser -- this could permit file manipulation, etc.

Or we could use a different approach, depending upon what the new Empeg code will be supporting. For example: if they redo the playlist and database subsystem (which I hope they do), perhaps we could use something like "rsync" to mirror content.

#27019 - 21/02/2001 21:04 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: forrie]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
I think there are some scripts floating around to use rsync already actually. Someone had it setup to rsyncthe files and then create the necessary fid entries. It was on the BBS many months ago. I meant to try it by never did.

-Mike

#27020 - 22/02/2001 02:09 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: tfabris]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
That would be fun. I'd get a kick out of being able to see my Empeg on my Windows Network Neighborhood.

I think, though, that folks have said Samba is a RAM hog and it'd be a hassle to try to run it on the player. Did anyone ever really try?

Err.. I've been running Samba on empeg for over half a year already. It works very well, as far as you don't try to run it in background with player. Naturally, you need to do some tweaks to get it running properly but after that you basically run one script and then it's up.

I believe I even posted an URL way back to the BBS, though it may not be valid anymore.

Kim

#27021 - 06/03/2001 12:01 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: kim]
Timing
new poster

Loc: AZ, USA
Found the past post to the SMB TAR file URL site, but it is not working. Very interested in browsing the empeg via Win Explorer. Can you repost the TAR/URL? What are the tweaks that you hinted at?

Sean

#27022 - 07/03/2001 01:46 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: Timing]
kim

Found the past post to the SMB TAR file URL site, but it is not working. Very interested in browsing the empeg via Win Explorer. Can you repost the TAR/URL? What are the tweaks that you hinted at?

Here is the same pacakge I posted some months ago. This will not be a permanent location now either, but it'll stay there for a while.

Please note that the package is nowhere near plug-and-play installation. It only provides the Samba-2.07 package which is modified to compile for empeg platform. The package also includes the binaries, so it's not necessary to recompile it.

One of the problems you probably end up seeing is that you must have the drive RW mounted while you are running Samba. As this is a bit risky, I've moved my /etc, /usr and /var directories into the scratch partition which in my configuration is always RW mounted (then only symlinking those from the main partition to the scratch partition). Also, if you want to use Samba before empeg-player has negotiated IP address, you need to use dhcpcd or similar DHCP client to obtain IP address.

Kim

#27023 - 30/05/2001 08:45 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: kim]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Kim,

Could you provide us (again) with a location to download this package?

Thanx in advance,

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red

#27024 - 31/05/2001 02:17 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: edwin]
kim

Could you provide us (again) with a location to download this package?

Okay, it's here again. (again, only available for limited time)

Somebody host the file as it seems to be so popular .

Kim

#27025 - 31/05/2001 03:45 Re: SMB Stack? [Re: kim]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Thank you!

In reply to:

Somebody host the file

My point exactly! I'm downloading it right now. When it's finished downloading, I'll host it on one of my sites and post a topic in general.

Kind regards,

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red