Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270341 - 22/11/2005 04:27 Installshield installation won't complete
TigerJimmy
old hand

Hi everyone,

I hope somebody here can help me with this goofy Windows XP problem.

I'm trying to install the EA Downloader program so that I can buy the expansion pack for Battlefield 2. I paid for the expansion, and I'm supposed to install this downloader to get the software. The only problem is, the installation won't complete. It copies all of the files, then right at the end of the progress bar, it suddenly stops, then deletes all of the files it installed. (I understand this is the "rollback" feature of the installshield installer).

I am running an up-to-date XP Pro with SP2.

I figured it might be a corrupt file, so I downloaded the installer again from another mirror. That didn't work.

I enabled "verbose" installation logging using a 3rd party program and found this error:

Quote:
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_ENGINE_VERSION = 11.0.0.28844
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD = The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup. If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

Well, I looked at the troubleshooting at consumer.installshield.com and made sure that installshield 11 was correctly installed on my machine. I installed both of the version 11 files. That didn't work.

Then I temporarily renamed the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Installshield folder to ensure that the ISScript11.msi that is included with the EA installation program is being used. Indeed, when I run EA's program, it creates a new Installshield folder. That didn't work either.

I verified that the Windows Installer service was running. It was.

Other people seem to have been able to install this program. What in the world is going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

#270342 - 22/11/2005 08:54 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: TigerJimmy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_ENGINE_VERSION = 11.0.0.28844
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_OLD = The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup. If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.

Ignore this. Confusingly, MSI logging dumps out the values of all of the properties defined in the file. This includes most of the error messages, even if they're not actually being used.

Could you do the following:

msiexec /i foo.msi /l*v foo.log

...where 'foo' is the name of the MSI. Then, if you ZIP up the entire log file and post it here, we'll have a quick look at it.

#270343 - 22/11/2005 09:02 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: Roger]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Thanks, Roger. It won't let me run the msi file. I supposedly need to run the exe file. I copied the temp directory and ran your command anyhow. Log file attached.

The new error is: "1: This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe."

Thanks again,

Jim

Attachments
270286-downloader.zip (91 downloads)

#270344 - 22/11/2005 10:01 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: TigerJimmy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Hmmm. Assuming that it's slightly sane, try running setup as follows:

setup.exe /V"/l*v logfile"

That's an upper-case V and the bits afterwards are in double quotes.

#270345 - 22/11/2005 18:54 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: Roger]
TigerJimmy
old hand

OK, I got a logfile this time. Here it is. Thanks again for taking the time to look at this for me.

Jim

Attachments
270305-ead-installer.zip (82 downloads)

#270346 - 22/11/2005 22:38 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
TigerJimmy, I think your problem with the installer might not be something you need to solve yourself. From the top of the news page at my old standby gaming news site www.bluesnews.com comes this:

Quote:
EA Downloader Issue [November 22, 2005, 6:34 pm ET]
EA's Battlefield 2 Website (thanks Frans) has news of an issue with some downloads of Battlefield 2: Special Forces and word that they are at work on a fix:

We have discovered (as some of you have) an installation problem with a limited number of EA gamers who downloaded Battlefield 2: Special Forces through EA's Downloader. If your account is affected, you will see the following error when you try to install the expansion pack:

“BF2CDKeyCheck.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

We apologize for this problem and are working quickly to resolve it. We will contact the gamers affected by this issue via email later today with a solution.

Not certain if this is your issue or not. If your problem is unrelated, sorry for the red herring.

#270347 - 23/11/2005 00:42 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Thanks, Tony. Unfortunately, I'm not getting that far yet. That error happens after the software is downloaded. I can't get the downloader program to install.

Thanks again,

Jim

#270348 - 23/11/2005 01:43 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: TigerJimmy]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Just to see if it was specific to the EA downloader, I tried the latest America's Army (free game). That installer does the same thing. Instead of just quitting, though, it says that the installer was interrupted.

This certainly leads me to believe that the problem is on my system, somehow.

I sure hope you have some ideas for me, Roger.

Best,

Jim

#270349 - 23/11/2005 08:33 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: TigerJimmy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I got a logfile this time.

Unfortunately, there's nothing obvious in there. It all seems to be going swimmingly, then at 14:53:49:125 it invokes a custom action, and shortly afterwards (at 14:53:50:234), it brings up the error message and starts rolling back the installation.

There's no reporting from the custom action(s) explaining what, if anything, went wrong.

The only clue that I can find is this line:

Quote:
Action ended 14:53:50: InstallFinalize. Return value 2.

I'm stumped, sorry.

#270350 - 23/11/2005 23:39 Re: Installshield installation won't complete [Re: Roger]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Well, just an update. I used the demo of X-Setup Pro to disable the Windows Installer Rollback functionality. I still have no idea why the rollback was happening, but the installer leaves the files on my system this time. Apparently everything is installed because the downloader is working now. Really, really strange.