Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#274990 - 25/01/2006 18:46 Power problem, need DETAILED instructions or piece of schematic?
Adrienne
new poster

My Empeg MkII (Hijaak kernel, one of the latest versions but i don't remember the point) has a problem with powering up on A/C power. It works fine in the car. A friend of mine with a surface-mount repair bench is working on it for me, but neither he nor i is an Empeg expert.

He has gone through these threads and has CHECKED the connector switching problem (not the cause) that's on the FAQ as causing this problem. He's nervous about futzing with any more hardware without at least a better indication of where on the board the problem is likely to be.

There was a blown diode on the board when i turned it over to him, but he has fixed that and there is no change in its power status.

If you have a clue what would be causing this, and have shareable schematic pieces or other detailed information, post here, or reach me at (adrienne) DOT (travis) AT g m a i l (dot) c o m.

Thanks!
Adrienne Travis

Edited by Adrienne (25/01/2006 18:47)

#274991 - 25/01/2006 20:51 Re: Power problem, need DETAILED instructions or piece of schematic? [Re: Adrienne]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is a specific thread about blown power on the AC connector, you're not the only person to have this problem. Usually it's caused by plugging the wrong kind of power supply into the player. I seem to recall that in addidion to a blown diode, there was also trace damage on the inside layers of the PCB that needed to be routed around. I could be remembering that wrong, though.

Anyone got a link to that thread?

#274992 - 26/01/2006 10:29 Re: Power problem, need DETAILED instructions or piece of schematic? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
We still haven't had a clear description of the symptoms of the problem.

Also, the schematics aren't publically available. This needs to go into the FAQ, with an explanation why.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#274993 - 26/01/2006 14:43 Re: Power problem, need DETAILED instructions or piece of schematic? [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
with an explanation why.

Good idea. So why exactly is that?

#274994 - 26/01/2006 16:15 Re: Power problem, need DETAILED instructions or piece of schematic? [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
NDA, intellectual property laws, have to shoot anyone who sees it, etc... Gets messy...