Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2831 - 09/05/2000 20:25 Messages marked new
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Is it just me or is there a lot of messages on this board marked "new" that shouldn't be????

Calvin

#2832 - 09/05/2000 23:34 Re: Messages marked new [Re: eternalsun]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Check that you are logged in, else the BBS thinks you've never been here.
(Menu top richt of this screen)
Henno

Henno
# 00120

#2833 - 10/05/2000 10:59 Re: Messages marked new [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
When you post a message of your own to the bbs, that subject line will be flagged with a "new" tag, even though your message is the only new message there.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#2834 - 10/05/2000 11:43 Re: Messages marked new [Re: eternalsun]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
This also happens if you check the bbs from different computers.. basically one computer doesn't know the new messages that another computer has read..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2835 - 10/05/2000 13:44 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Henno]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I am definitely logged in, every once in a while, it will mark a lot of messages new that are not really new since my last log in. I tried logging in and out with no avail. Essentially the forum index indicates the right number of new messages, but when I go into each forum, it will have a LOT of messages marked new so I have to sift through to find the right new messages. For example, it will say "2 new messages" and I will go in and there will be 9 threads marked new, even though I read them already. (yes I am logged in).

Calvin

#2836 - 10/05/2000 13:46 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When you post a message of your own to the bbs, that subject line will be flagged with a "new" tag, even though your message is the only new message there.

Actually, I think that's a bug in this version of the BBS software. There are some quirks/bugs with the "new" flag that I've noticed. I've learned to work around them, but I wish that the BBS software hadn't changed from free to fee, so it could be upgraded to fix the bugs. Of all the web-based BBS's I've seen, this is my favorite one as far as layout and functionality are concerned. It would be nice if it could be upgraded- how much do they want for it again? If it's not too much, I'd pitch in.

My work around for that particular bug is: When it offers to "view your post", click on it before the timeout sends you back to the parent message. Then, after you've read your post, click on the orange "up arrow" button to navigate back to the top of that section. If you do that, your post doesn't show up as new.

In fact, most of my workarounds involve navigating via that "up arrow" button. It seems as though the BBS designers expected everyone to use it or something. :-)

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2837 - 10/05/2000 14:18 Re: Messages marked new [Re: eternalsun]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I am definitely logged in

Do they change when you force a reload of the page? When I access this board from the office, many of the icons are off, often. Could this have to do with cache settings and the browser picking up an outdated icon ? ? ?

Henno
# 00120

#2838 - 10/05/2000 14:25 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
In reply to:

It would be nice if it could be upgraded- how much do they want for it again? If it's not too much, I'd pitch in.

It's $100 measly dollars ($200, if they consider the unofficial site to be "commercial" in nature). Best $100 I ever spent, myself.

D

#2839 - 10/05/2000 14:31 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Dredd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's $100 measly dollars ($200, if they consider the unofficial site to be "commercial" in nature). Best $100 I ever spent, myself.

Oh, cripes. That's nothing. Heck, for that price, Empeg Ltd. could pick up the tab. Rob...?

The only remaining question is: Is the software scalable enough to handle a large volume of users (assuming that the machine running the software can be upgraded as necessary)? Or does PaulH already have a different piece of software in mind?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2840 - 10/05/2000 15:11 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
I suspect it could scale fairly well... it uses a DB back end (MySQL is the default, although there are people using it with MS SQL server and others). If load became high, the SQL server could be moved to a second box with little difficulty, according to the authors...

D

#2841 - 10/05/2000 15:32 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

It would be nice if it could be upgraded--how much do they want for it again? If it's not too much, I'd pitch in.

Ditto, here. Particularly if it would allow the "Send Private" function once again!

tanstaafl.

#2842 - 10/05/2000 16:46 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> That's nothing. Heck, for that price, Empeg Ltd. could pick up the tab.

Of course the sum involved is insignificant, however we don't feel that it would be appropriate for empeg to pay for an independent unofficial BBS. If we were going to do that we might as well set up our own BBS on the new web site.

There are solutions. I started to work something out with Paul, but I've been rather busy with other projects lately.

Rob

#2843 - 10/05/2000 18:02 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
It would be nice if it could be upgraded- how much do they want for it again? If it's not too much, I'd pitch in.

When we looked into it a few months back, it was only $100 or so for the non-profit version, and double that for the commercial version.. I would imagine that despite being an unofficial bbs we'd probably need the more expensive version..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2844 - 10/05/2000 19:39 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Or does PaulH already have a different piece of software in mind?

Well, if he does, he should look into the UBB software. definitely the most user-friendly bulletin board I've used. It has a few features missing from this one, but there's alot of stuff they have covered that I wish this had.

By the way. After I post a message, is there a way to go back to the forum I was in before? Like if when I post a reply to a thread in the general forum, it then takes me back to the thread. Is there any way to get back to the general forum without going to the Forum Index first? Thanks

#2845 - 10/05/2000 23:53 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Is there any way to get back to the general forum without going to the Forum Index first?

Yeah. Click on that orange "Up Arrow" button I mentioned. It looks like this:

Enjoy!

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2846 - 11/05/2000 00:22 Re: Messages marked new [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah. I see. Guess I would have seen that in the FAQ. Makes sense, although not very intuitive.

#2847 - 11/05/2000 02:00 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
UBB, as in what mp3.com uses? Urk. Disgusting stuff, from what I could see there's no obvious threading, nasty static pages generated for threads, etc.

The problem with empeg pitching in to pay for it would mean that some would see the bbs as becoming official or worse still, sponsored (and as such, less independent); we prefer it independent, but personally I'd put some $ towards the commercial version of the s/w.

Hugo

#2848 - 11/05/2000 12:46 Re: Messages marked new [Re: dionysus]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

So how about empeg donate some money to pay for an upgrade eh?

Calvin

#2849 - 11/05/2000 12:50 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Henno]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

I also notice that the little red dot that indicates a new message is not always present, even though it is clearly a new message! This often occurs at a top level. This part doesn't bug me that much. But every once in a while, (twice in the past month) messages that are NOT new are marked new and makes things very difficult!

Calvin

#2850 - 11/05/2000 21:37 Re: Messages marked new [Re: altman]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Ok , if PaulH will post an address here, I'll put a $20 bill in the mail to him the same day. If just one out of every 60 registered bbs users does the same, we'll be there!

I'll start a thread below this message just for other folks to state that they will contribute, and how much. When we reach $200, we'll do it!

How 'bout it, Paul?

tanstaafl.

***** Ignore this post and the following thread... Dionysus has already started a thread doing the same thing *****

#2851 - 11/05/2000 21:39 Re: Messages marked new: Software Contributions [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Put me down for $20.00

tanstaafl.

***** Never mind --- Dionysus has already started up a list -- he beat me to it! *****

#2852 - 11/05/2000 22:49 Re: Messages marked new [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah! I can understand your disgust with mp3.com's use of the UBB, Hugo. It appears they have applied their own directory structure to link to seperate threads within the bulletin board. It's awful, and I fully agree. The shining example, in my opinion, is the board at klipsch.com. Here's a link to just the bulletin board (their site isn't that great):
http://www.klipsch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
(this probably won't work, so you can just go to www.klipsch.com)

Then go to the first ProMedia forum. That's where all my posts are (over 500 of them).

IMO the UBB simply makes some things easier to navigate. I especially like the directory type thing at the top which lets you easily select which level you want to be at.

However, this BB has some very good features as well. I merely offer this as a suggestion, because it is not a bad bit of software.

#2853 - 11/05/2000 22:51 Re: Messages marked new [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

oh, and the UBB is also used by www.3dsoundsurge.com