Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289097 - 02/11/2006 22:26 Ethernet/Dock/Router problem
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Heres the deal. I can get my empeg to talk to the computer through the router using usb, ether, or serial when it is NOT in the ML Dock. I cannot get it to talk to the computer when the empeg is installed in the dock. Now, I know, it could be a problem in the dock connection, but I have tried two empegs in two different docks (both ML Docks) and they both have the same problem. So before I start hacking apart the docks, I thought I would ask if there was something about the way it works with the dock...I don't think so, but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I am using the same ethernet cable for dock/NonDock use.
Any help or thought, would be apprecaited.

#289098 - 03/11/2006 15:13 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: Ladmo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
When in the dock, it thinks it's in the car, which means that it disables emplode access. You need Hijack installed to get around this. I forget the exact things you need to do to make it work, but maybe someone will come along and remind us when they see this post.

#289099 - 03/11/2006 15:42 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: wfaulk]
Ladmo
addict

Ahhh. I should have mentioned that I DO have Hijack installed. after some fiddleing around with one I think I have the problem with one of them figured out. The female-female 'block' (the one that has the small ethernet cable going to it) appears to be 'bad' as it will not lock the connecter on the end of the small cable to it. after some testing, that seems to be the problem...I haven't started trying the other one yet.
Thanks!

#289100 - 03/11/2006 16:11 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: Ladmo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Just push in harder when connecting to the block. They do tend to have a tight fit, especially with the *internal* dock RJ45 plugs.

Cheers

#289101 - 03/11/2006 17:57 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: mlord]
Ladmo
addict

I know the block that I put in when i wired it is bad. I removed it and tried it with to cables running directly to the router and the to the Empeg. It did not work. I then used a borrowed spare, and that is the one that would not lock. So I will replace it tonight and then, assuming it works, will start on the next one.

#289102 - 03/11/2006 18:29 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: Ladmo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Ahh.. very important to point out here that this is not a mlord wired dock, then.

Cheers!

#289103 - 06/11/2006 03:38 Re: Ethernet/Dock/Router problem [Re: mlord]
Ladmo
addict

Jeeez! Not to worry Mark. I fully admit that I got ONLY the shell from you and I bought the parts and wired it myself. In fact, if you remember, I supplied you with the layout that you put with your 'wiring guide'. I fully accept any problems with the wiring. As of right now, Both of the docs I have are working perfectly and are functional with the serial as well as ether.
But just to eliminate any confusion (someone cares?) It is a ML dock, wired by Ladmo.
Oh, and btw, I have a few of the large connectors left if anyone is needing to wire a shell.