Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#300199 - 10/07/2007 19:34 Re: My iPhone review [Re: sein]
oliver
addict

Quote:
... it bugs me slightly that period and comma are both in the symbols mode only ...

If you press and hold on the symbol button, a menu should appear allowing you to select the symbol of your choice without loading the full symbol keyboard.

Same with the keyboard, if you press and hold, slide your finger around the animation follows your finger around, when you release it will select the key that was highlighted.

These two shortcuts helped me a bit when I was playing with my Dads iPhone...

#300200 - 10/07/2007 21:42 Re: My iPhone review [Re: oliver]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Now if I could only afford an iphone...do you think it might drop in price before christmas? (i doubt it myself, but i am just wishful thinking)

#300201 - 10/07/2007 22:08 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

I know people seem to be highly polarized with anything related to Apple these days, but please try to keep the thread civil on both sides.

People have always been highly polarized with anything related to Apple, nothing new there.

#300202 - 10/07/2007 22:15 Re: My iPhone review [Re: burdell1]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Now if I could only afford an iphone...do you think it might drop in price before christmas? (i doubt it myself, but i am just wishful thinking)

Looks like some analysts are speculating that Apple will release a lower end iPhone... http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/jp-morgan-retracts-iphone-nano-insinuations-hints-at-3g-flavor/

I dunno if I mentioned it, but the iPhone is my FIRST Apple product and even after a week with it, I'm still impressed. It definitely has it's flaws, and I think a lot of them will be fixed by updates - some won't be (EDGE is painful at times, and GPS really would make the Google Map product a lot more useful). The rumor is that iChat is coming, that they are going to have search ala Spotlight, and that Flash will be added shortly.

For me, the ability to do REAL web stuff while away from home is a slam dunk. I've never seen another device do this as well. Those that are naysayers - do you NOT have a need for this functionality, or have you found solutions that work well for you? If it's the latter, I'd like to hear what you use.

- Thanx
- Jon

#300203 - 10/07/2007 22:32 Re: My iPhone review [Re: jbauer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Those that are naysayers - do you NOT have a need for this functionality, or have you found solutions that work well for you? If it's the latter, I'd like to hear what you use.

I use a 15" powerbook tethered to a samsung A900. The powerbook really is instantly on when coming back from sleep mode. Dialing the bluetooth connection takes another 10 secconds. At that point it's not just "the internet without mouse hover events, without flash, without search, without a keyboard, on a slow edge connection" it's just "the internet". My email? Well, it's the same interface it always is. Smart folders, filters, everything. The web? All my tabs are there, just where I left them. Instant messaging? Adium doesn't charge per message.

Yes, I have to carry a laptop around with me. Heavy? Not compared to the backpack of books I was used to as a student. Inconvenient? Not really. I've got a Tumi "messenger bag" for professional meetings, a tumi backpack for professional meetings whem I'm going to be carrying it long distance, and a timberland backpack with a SFBags Waterfield Designs top loading sleeve when I want to look like someone who isn't carrying anything of value.

It works for me. Unlimited 3G data is the key for me. GRPS/Edge just doesn't cut it, and not having the option on top of that really kills it.

I'm sure the iPhone is beautiful. I'm sure it makes a great phone, and I'd love to have one with 3G data and tethering, but I'm not willing to pay the price, I'd much rather upgrade the powerbook to a macbook pro.

Matthew

#300204 - 10/07/2007 22:37 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
please try to keep the thread civil on both sides.

If I came across incivil, I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to. That said, I like Apple computers. I've just found their consumer electronics a little underwhelming. And that's mostly based on the hype. If Apple (or anyone else, for that matter) had simply released the phone without all the fanfare, my opinion of it would probably be greater than it is now. But Apple and their unpaid shills would have you believe that it's the best thing since bread, and that's just not true. It's a cell phone, for God's sake.

I would be interested in a phone that had the Google Maps application on it, but I'm not interested in paying extra money for the service. If my company paid for it, I would totally use it. I wouldn't avoid the web browser, either, but I just don't care that much. My nose is in a computer at home and at work. I don't need it in one everywhere I go. Actually, when I had a Treo that my job paid for, the best application I had was a Wikipedia client. I used the hell out of that. I had the Google Maps application, too, but I didn't use that very often, mostly because it wasn't that good.

Does the fact that there's no GPS on the phone imply that it doesn't know where you are? If so, how does it know where the closest seafood restaurant is, as demonstrated by Jobs?

#300205 - 10/07/2007 23:39 Re: My iPhone review [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Does the fact that there's no GPS on the phone imply that it doesn't know where you are? If so, how does it know where the closest seafood restaurant is, as demonstrated by Jobs?

It has to have some form of location finder, either an onboard GPS, or cell tower triangulation -- I believe that US Law requires it for E911. Kinda weird that they don't take advantage of it for Google Maps (?).

Cheers

#300206 - 11/07/2007 01:28 Re: My iPhone review [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

It has to have some form of location finder, either an onboard GPS, or cell tower triangulation -- I believe that US Law requires it for E911. Kinda weird that they don't take advantage of it for Google Maps (?).

In the hardware teardowns, no GPS chips have been found, so it is using triangulation for E911. As for Jobs demo, it looks like he already had the area up he wanted to search, so the map program just searched near the viewable area, just like how on maps.google.com you can first type in a city to go there, then search for something with a second search. If I force quit the maps program on the phone, and relaunch, it goes right back to the last location I looked up, so I can't comment on how it acted by default.

#300207 - 11/07/2007 03:32 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
For the Apple fanboys... http://tofslie.com/work/apple_evolution.html

It's not really an evolution, more a timeline of their products...

- Jon

#300208 - 11/07/2007 08:11 Re: My iPhone review [Re: oliver]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
Quote:
... it bugs me slightly that period and comma are both in the symbols mode only ...

If you press and hold on the symbol button, a menu should appear allowing you to select the symbol of your choice without loading the full symbol keyboard.

Of course, that is the slick way of doing it! Sounds pretty cool.

I'd be really tempted by the iPhone when it comes to the UK, but by the time it does get here the HTC Kaiser will be out too. 3MP Camera with autofocus, built-in GPS and WM6 appeals to me. The FIC Neo1973 OpenMoko Linux phone will be out too and I have pretty high hopes for it being a fun little gadget to have.

Decisions decisions!

#300209 - 11/07/2007 10:18 Re: My iPhone review [Re: sein]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

The FIC Neo1973 OpenMoko Linux phone will be out too and I have pretty high hopes for it being a fun little gadget to have.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/images/8/89/FIC-neo1973_small.jpg

Is it just me, or is that a really silly shape for a phone ? Surely a rectangle (with rounded edges) has got to be the best use of space for something you are going to have crammed into a pocket 99% of the time ?

#300210 - 11/07/2007 12:11 Re: My iPhone review [Re: adavidw]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If they still think they don't want it, there's a good chance at that point they're just confused or lying to themselves.

Yesterday I played about with an iPhone that my friend bought just before he came over on holiday and whilst neat, I won't be buying one. Or was it the day before... I'm not too sure about it now as I'm confused and obviously lying...

#300211 - 11/07/2007 12:11 Re: My iPhone review [Re: andy]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
[Surely a rectangle (with rounded edges) has got to be the best use of space for something you are going to have crammed into a pocket 99% of the time ?

Might appeal to the folks who carry their phone by a strap around their neck though...

#300212 - 11/07/2007 13:18 Re: My iPhone review [Re: jbauer]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
For me, the ability to do REAL web stuff while away from home is a slam dunk. I've never seen another device do this as well. Those that are naysayers - do you NOT have a need for this functionality, or have you found soelutions that work well for you? If it's the latter, I'd like to hear what you use.

I use a Treo 650. It obviously falls well short of Safari on the iPhone, but it gets the job done. When I need to do real web things, I fire up my Macbook Pro and use my Treo's data connection.

I think some of this really comes down to the very subjective nature of the "is it worth it?" question. Some of you guys have more expendable cash, some of you needed a new phone anyway, some of you were already on AT&T/Cingular before, etc. My response to adavidw was just trying to state that there are reasons that one might come to the "it isn't worth it" conclusion, even if they could potentially afford the device and pay the insane monthly bill, and those reasons go well beyond being confused or lying to themselves.

Regarding typing speed, my suspicion is that the average iPhone user's effective typing speed will be around 50% of that of the average Treo or Blackberry user. Again, I base this on my experience (and the experiences of others) typing on a full-size multitouch keyboard and hitting a very low ceiling on the learning curve. But, we'll see.

#300213 - 11/07/2007 13:25 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: andy]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Shape isn't really a problem.

The iPhone is polymorphic....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/will-it-blend-the-iphone-smoothie/

#300214 - 11/07/2007 20:31 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Shape isn't really a problem.

The iPhone is polymorphic....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/will-it-blend-the-iphone-smoothie/

Wow. Steve Jobs is probably crying because of that video! Actually, I'm amazed that nothing happened when he put what appears to be an on iPhone into the blender. All the Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries I've got have dire warnings about how you, your pet, family, neighbours and friends spontaneously burst into flames if you puncture it..

#300215 - 11/07/2007 20:43 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I was amazed at how long it actually lasted before it finally died. Although the smoke and ash at the end was quite impressive!

Andy M

#300216 - 11/07/2007 20:44 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: tman]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
I'm amazed that nothing happened when he put what appears to be an on iPhone into the blender.

Oh I'm sure it's on. Just watch the video where they blend the video camera. Complete with footage from inside the blender. They then try and return it under the best buy extended warranty.

The publicity that Will It Blend has generated is worth far more than an iPhone and all the other items they've blended. I'd buy a blendtec if my vitamix died, but that's not likely to happen for a few decades. A professional class blender is a completely different appliance from a $40 target special.

Matthew

#300217 - 11/07/2007 22:02 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: matthew_k]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I do wonder what Hugo would think if/when he sees that video.... Initially I thought he might get a little upset, but then I remembered they're making millions of the things and it was bought and paid for, so I assume everyone's happy.

Andy M

#300218 - 11/07/2007 22:41 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
but then I remembered they're making millions of the things and it was bought and paid for, so I assume everyone's happy.

Thats what I figure too. The iPhones are also still generally available, so grinding this one to dust didn't deprive someone from being able to buy their own to use. Thats usually my only quibble with the "smash my X" people, they prevent someone truly interested in the product from obtaining one, and the same goes for the eBay scalpers too. Thats why I was glad to see the scalper market on eBay for iPhones implode pretty quickly.

#300219 - 12/07/2007 01:26 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
i find the best phones are actually the WM5/WM6 phones made by HTC. I have the HTC wizard running the new Touch Interface ( [url= http://www.htctouch.com]http://www.htctouch.com[/url] ) and some tweaks that take the best of the IPhone interface such as slide2unlock ( [url=http://www.slide2unlock.co.nr/ ]http://www.slide2unlock.co.nr/[/url] ) - My wizard does everything!

The HTC phones have ad2p for stereo bluetooth, you can use them as modems, they have wifi, bluetooth and every other radio they can think of - and the platform Windows mobile is open to developers. There is always an app around that does what you need. The iphone UI is incredible - and thats important - but that will be replicated across competitors units rapidly.

Apples marketing and insertion of devices as lifestyle choices is brilliant and for that - everyone will want the crippled iphone.

THe iphone is a closed device with a battery that is integrated into the unit - im not really a fan of apple in general - but their marketing is brilliant for the ipod. Best print and tv ads period for a mp3 device. All other ads look like 80's video game console ads next to apples marketing might and the iphone is no different.

#300220 - 12/07/2007 01:35 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Sounds like someone had typed "Rhe" a few times, hitting "x" on the suggestion of "The". It'll then decide that obviously you want to learn this as a new word and adds it to the dictionary.

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset keyboard dictionary will fix this, which is probably recommended operating procedure if you're going to an apple store to test the keyboard

Hugo

#300221 - 12/07/2007 01:36 Re: My iPhone review [Re: altman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That sounds reasonable.

#300222 - 12/07/2007 01:39 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: andym]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I was hiding behind my hands waiting for the inevitable li-poly fire which didn't happen (and, actually, has not happened often in the "will it blend" series). Maybe if you liquidise a lithium cell *really quickly* it doesn't have a chance to go critical.

Still, I wouldn't like to be in the studio where they do the filming, let alone sitting there with my hand on the blender...

Hugo

#300223 - 12/07/2007 03:30 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: altman]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Got one today. Can't put it down. Found all the commonly lauded flaws, but still, the functionality of everything else seems to push those aside. Or maybe it's the huge chunk of change I put down on one.

So Hugo... was it ever publicly stated what EXACTLY you had to do with this project... or can you not say?

#300224 - 12/07/2007 06:20 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: altman]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I was hiding behind my hands waiting for the inevitable li-poly fire which didn't happen (and, actually, has not happened often in the "will it blend" series). Maybe if you liquidise a lithium cell *really quickly* it doesn't have a chance to go critical.

Still, I wouldn't like to be in the studio where they do the filming, let alone sitting there with my hand on the blender...

It probably helps that the blender is air-tight. I'm sure some combustion occurred -- everything was blackened when it came out -- but it would have been oxygen-limited...

Peter

#300225 - 12/07/2007 11:47 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: peter]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm still not sure any of the BlendTec videos are real from start to finish. Along with VitaMix, they have arguably the best blenders available on the market, so I'm not detracting in any way from their excellent product.

The videos seem to all be edited for time - that is, they show in a few seconds what might have taken a few minutes in reality. In most of the videos I've seen (maybe 10 or so) the end product ends up a fairly consistent particulate (sand-like). In the recent iPhone video they were also left with some kind of metal frame that didn't blend.

A while back a video was posted by some DJ's who had duplicated the BlendTec "Will it Blend" in their studio. Sure enough what they dumped in was thoroughly destroyed, but it was never reduced to a consistent granular appearance.

If the blender will eventually create sand from what you dump in, I'd really like to know the actual time it took to achieve that state. Something doesn't seem right and I already had a hard time believing the end result of most of the videos before the DJ's attempted their own recreation.

#300226 - 12/07/2007 12:18 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: hybrid8]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Saw some video podcast (will look it up when i'm home) where they first tried dropping the iphone from the pants pocket, then shirt pocket.
And then they started 'disassembling' it, letting out some magic smoke when they skewered the battery with a big screwdriver.
All this outside the apple store, with people still waiting to get theirs.
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#300227 - 12/07/2007 12:34 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: Schido]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Arstechnica attempt to mar the screen of their iPhone with a knife blade, throw it down the road a couple of times, drop it from the 3rd floor of a building, step on it and then drop it down the toilet while it plays MP3s.

Its like a game to see who can destroy their expensive phone in the most ridiculous way. Does show how robust it is though.

#300228 - 12/07/2007 12:43 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: sein]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Thank goodness empegs are too big to fit in a blender....

Ugh, the thought sends shivers down my spine - whereas blending an iPhone made me smile...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >