Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#300229 - 12/07/2007 13:36 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Thank goodness empegs are too big to fit in a blender....

I want to know if an iPhone will survive JeepBastard's jeep

#300230 - 12/07/2007 16:39 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: Schido]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Found it:
"David Randolph and guest host Leah Culver stress test and then tear apart the iPhone immediately upon exiting the Apple store on launch day."
http://revision3.com/systm/cracked
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#300231 - 12/07/2007 21:50 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: Schido]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
After watching the various destruction videos linked from this thread it's amazing how much stick the iphone will take before it actually dies. If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off to Hugo!

Andy M

#300232 - 12/07/2007 22:09 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: andym]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
My first post from an iPhone. Not bad.

#300233 - 15/07/2007 07:17 Re: My iPhone review [Re: wfaulk]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Me:
Quote:
I feel like anyone who thinks it's not for them needs to just try it for a little bit. If they still think they don't want it, there's a good chance at that point they're just confused or lying to themselves.

I spent a very long time one night typing a very long post that I thought might be helpful, entertaining or at the very least interesting. I then go away for a few days and return to find that a few people have gotten hung up on two sentences out of the many I actually wrote and use them as the basis for some rather snotty replies.

I stand by what I said, but maybe not exactly as I said it. I feel the need to clarify what I said for the benefit of those who took umbrage. If what you understood is different from what I intended you to understand, I as the writer bear full responsibility for my failure to articulate the thought in a manner that would make my meaning clear, and for that, I apologize.

One overarching theme of my post was how I had changed over time, and how I was a little confused over what I thought I wanted or needed, and how it's different than what I've since come to realize I actually do want and/or need. Another theme of the post was that this is a product that works on me on an emotional level, not a rational level, and that my emotional reaction to the product is no different than that of someone who's been consumed by hype or fanboy-ism or the RDF or whatever, and that I don't care that my positive experience is indistinguishable from blind faith.

So, the operative word in what I wrote is feel. "I feel like anyone who..." My point being that my experience has made me feel like anyone else who doesn't share my positive view must be simply deluded, because there surely could be no rational reason why someone wouldn't want to have this phone. It's the point of view of the religious zealot who can't understand why everyone wouldn't believe the same way as he, and who explains it to himself by thinking "surely they have been deceived."

I know that not everybody wants this phone. I know that a lot of people have a lot of very good reasons for not ever wanting this phone. I know that if I were to stand here and say "I truly and firmly think that everyone who doesn't want this phone is either confused or lying to themselves" I would be laughed out of here for having lost all grip on rational thought. I know that's not a rational position. However, this phone or its marketing or something has caused me to feel the same way as someone who would think that that was a rational position, even if I don't actually think that way myself.

That was my point, that that's a terrific achievement for Apple to be able to act emotionally on someone when they're ultimately just selling a phone. It's a perfect case of hitting a target market that's just so primed to hear the message. If you're not part of that target market, that's fine. But, the ones who are in that target market are receiving this message very well indeed.

(Note: I said "there's a good chance". Even if I rationally thought what I said to be true, I still left enough room for you all to be in the other side of that good chance. Also, my first draft of that section included a lot more language that basically said "I concede that there are a lot of situations and people for whom this might not be a good solution, blah blah blah", but my post was way too long as is, and I cut it, figuring, "I'll leave it as the borderline hyperbole. People will understand what I'm talking about." I guess that didn't work so much.)

wfaulk:
Quote:
Wow. How remarkably arrogant.

Yeah, it's an arrogant statement, which was kind of the point, to show the depth and breadth of my conversion, so to speak. It was arrogant to demonstrate the exact level of religious zeal this has the chance and ability to inspire in people.

tonyc:
Quote:
"Think they don't want it?" How about actually not wanting it?
but it borders on haughtiness to say that people who don't like the device are likely to be confused or lying to themselves.

Doesn't just border on. Fully crosses into the realm of haughtiness, if you ask me. See above. And yes, I will concede that there are many who actually shouldn't want it because it doesn't suit any of their needs or fit with any of their desires, just as there are many who aren't giving the iPhone a fair shake because it doesn't do something on their list of needs that they may not actually need anyway.

tman:
Quote:
Yesterday I played about with an iPhone that my friend bought just before he came over on holiday and whilst neat, I won't be buying one. Or was it the day before... I'm not too sure about it now as I'm confused and obviously lying...

The other 2 were posted almost a full 24 hours before yours and already made the point, so you're just piling on at this point.

wfaulk:
Quote:
(Maybe if you're in church playing with your phone you don't need to be in church in the first place?)

This one I don't even understand. I think I'm offended, but I don't know why, because I don't even know how to parse the meaning out of this. Bitt, you've already apologized for the case of your post coming across as uncivil, and I appreciate that, but I don't really get whether this part would be uncivil, or where you're going with this.

For the sake of context, I'm at church for four straight hours each Sunday, in various meetings and functions. I've got downtime between them, and I now have an option for doing something with that downtime other than just sitting or walking around outside (which are both still perfectly valid options). Now, I can do internet type things even at the church, where doing those sorts of things would have previously been unconceivable due to not having internet access or not wanting to bring a laptop just to use for the five minutes I had available to me.

I'm thinking that you were perhaps under the impression that I'm surfing the web from the pew during the service or some such? If so, my fault for making the statement without giving the context. Even so, that doesn't mean I don't need to be in church. I probably would need to be there even more so I could better learn things like reverence and humility. And, if anyone was surfing the web during the service, your response to them should be even harsher, something more like "Maybe if you're in church playing with your phone..." followed by some command to shove the phone up something and an entreaty for the deity of their choice to personally do the shoving.

#300234 - 15/07/2007 10:18 Re: My iPhone review [Re: adavidw]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
tman:
Quote:
Yesterday I played about with an iPhone that my friend bought just before he came over on holiday and whilst neat, I won't be buying one. Or was it the day before... I'm not too sure about it now as I'm confused and obviously lying...

The other 2 were posted almost a full 24 hours before yours and already made the point, so you're just piling on at this point.

I had actually used an iPhone the day before but whatever, I'm piling in.

#300235 - 16/07/2007 00:40 Re: My iPhone review [Re: tman]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Has anyone the 8gb for sale for anything less than $599.00 (on ebay, craigslist, etc.)? I know it is way too new for that, but you never know....

#300236 - 16/07/2007 12:21 Re: My iPhone review [Re: adavidw]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
I'm thinking that you were perhaps under the impression that I'm surfing the web from the pew during the service or some such?

Yeah, basically. Though my resolution would have been the opposite: If you don't want to be there, then don't be there. That was my solution, at least. Part of my point was that you were describing ways to waste time. If you have time that's otherwise unusable, then I guess that's great, but it read to me as if you were finding new ways to cram timewasting into your day.

As to the rest, I'm willing to accept your reasoning as long as you can admit that you used a turn of phrase that usually means something other than what you say you meant. It 100% came across as "you're an idiot if you don't love the iPhone, and it's just sour grapes if you say otherwise".

#300237 - 17/07/2007 12:50 Re: My iPhone review [Re: wfaulk]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
A bit late to join the fun, but after playing with one, I can definitely say I wouldn't get one of these. It pretty much doesn't do anything I need well, even though it does lots of stuff I don't need really wonderfully)

I really couldn't do without being able to type without looking - and you can't do that with the iPhone.

a pity - as it is pretty and slinky
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#300238 - 17/07/2007 20:46 Re: My iPhone review [Re: frog51]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

#300239 - 17/07/2007 20:50 Re: My iPhone review [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure the horse is dead at this point...

#300240 - 17/07/2007 20:55 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Didn't know there was a horse but hey...

#300241 - 17/07/2007 23:43 Re: My iPhone review [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Hmm... Seems the iPhone is causing some network trouble. Duke and Cisco are trying to resolve it, and have opened a ticket with Apple.

From NetworkWorld

Quote:
"It’s a pretty big annoyance, right now, with 20-30 access points signaling they’re down, and then coming back up a few minutes later. But in late August, this would be devastating."

That’s because the misbehaving iPhones flood the access points with up to 18,000 address requests per second, nearly 10Mbps of bandwidth, and monopolizing the AP’s airtime.

-jk

#300242 - 18/07/2007 15:46 Re: My iPhone review [Re: jmwking]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Interesting. I wonder if this would explain the weird outages I've been having on my router a few days back.

#300243 - 20/07/2007 23:14 Re: My iPhone review [Re: jmwking]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The update on this is that it turned out to be a Cisco bug...

Still, blame the new gadget for exposing it

Hugo

#300244 - 20/07/2007 23:16 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: loren]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Quote:
So Hugo... was it ever publicly stated what EXACTLY you had to do with this project... or can you not say?

I'm the hardware manager for the non-RF bit of it. I can't take credit for the amazing design (etc) but was deeply involved with the gubbins and spent a lot of time in china for it

Hugo

#300245 - 20/07/2007 23:41 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: altman]
burdell1
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
So Hugo... was it ever publicly stated what EXACTLY you had to do with this project... or can you not say?

I'm the hardware manager for the non-RF bit of it. I can't take credit for the amazing design (etc) but was deeply involved with the gubbins and spent a lot of time in china for it

Hugo

I have a dumb question....what exactly are 'gubbins'?

#300246 - 21/07/2007 03:21 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: altman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:

Hugo

Saw and held one for the first time yesterday.
From it's heft you can tell there must be many, many, grubbins inside. Whatever they are.

#300247 - 21/07/2007 04:33 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: burdell1]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I have a dumb question....what exactly are 'gubbins'?

Gubbins

#300248 - 21/07/2007 12:02 Re: My iPhone review - iPhone Smoothie... [Re: gbeer]
music
addict

Quote:
From it's heft you can tell there must be many, many, grubbins inside. Whatever they are.

Stands to reason.

Gubbins are renowned for their density and heft.

...especially Chinese gubbins.

#300249 - 23/07/2007 16:02 Re: My iPhone review [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The update on this is that it turned out to be a Cisco bug...

Still, blame the new gadget for exposing it

Hugo

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw the report was that yeah, it was likely a bug in the router firmware. I spend enough time in my current job looking at exactly that sort of thing...

...and making sure that the shipping versions of our Windows components don't induce the bug.

#300250 - 23/07/2007 19:03 Re: My iPhone review [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
...and making sure that the shipping versions of our Windows components don't induce the bug

Any known issues between Vista and Cisco equipment regarding horrible performance? Specifically that "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" is required on any Vista box to get usable networking. Prior to doing this, machines will get 20 megs per minute transfer rates to local LAN XP or EMC NAS boxes, and 20k/s to a remote site over a 10mbit link.

#300251 - 23/07/2007 19:39 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I remember your thread on this a while back. (Assuming I'm remembering the same thread.)

I had never seen that one happening on any of the Cisco equipment in our lab, and I don't see a specific bug about it. However, now that Vista's been out a while, you might want to check back with both Microsoft's and Cisco's KB searches and see if any new articles have come up since the last time you did a search.

#300252 - 24/07/2007 13:19 Re: My iPhone review [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

Can Safari on iPhone go full screen?

#300253 - 24/07/2007 13:45 Re: My iPhone review [Re: burdell1]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Can Safari on iPhone go full screen?

Thats how Safari looks. If you scroll down on the page, the address bar will scroll off the top, but the very top white bar and the bottom buttons always remain.

#300254 - 24/07/2007 13:46 Re: My iPhone review [Re: drakino]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I just saw a commercial for the iPhone for the first time last night. It looks pretty slick. The integration they showed (watching the movie I don't care about) between the map and calling the restaurant was really cool.

I only have one thing that would keep me from buying it, the integrated camera. Why does every new phone have to include a camera, instead of having an option of the same phone without one?

#300255 - 24/07/2007 15:25 Re: My iPhone review [Re: Tim]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Probably because the cost of including one in every phone is cheaper than what it would cost to make two designs, one with and one without? Just a guess.

#300256 - 24/07/2007 15:40 Re: My iPhone review [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't think assembly-line complexity was Apple's main reason. I'll bet it was more of a marketing thing. They know the initial run of iPhones will be snapped up by the zealots, and so they didn't need to offer a cheaper model right out of the gate.

After all the zealots have paid top dollar for the first iPhone, and the initial buzz has died down, then they'll offer cheaper models. At that point, they'll get all the customers they didn't get the first time 'round because of the price. See, those pricepoint customers will still be there later on. Whereas, with the zealots, they only had that one chance to milk them for every penny.

That's my theory, anyway.

#300257 - 24/07/2007 16:23 Re: My iPhone review [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

People will complain if they didn't put a camera into the iPhone. OMG... The iPhone sucks! Even <generic phone> has a camera! Its supposed to be a multimedia online thing and they didn't put a camera in?!!! etc...

Whilst a camera in your phone is kinda handy sometimes, the photos they take are just terrible.

#300258 - 24/07/2007 16:35 Re: My iPhone review [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Whilst a camera in your phone is kinda handy sometimes, the photos they take are just terrible.

I agree with that statement in the general sense, but I've read that the one in the iPhone is surprisingly good. I'm curious to try one.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >