Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#311360 - 14/06/2008 12:00 ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
It hit me!

I reanimated my Empeg MK2 after having it some years without current. After plugged the +12V in, it seems to wake up. The display showed some defective pixels but after pulling the current and blowed some air in, it was much better. Seems to be a bit dusty. Ok, it worked quite well, but no noise is coming out. After a while I heard something like white noise, that what you hear when having no radiostation tuned in when listening on FM. It seems to be totally independant of the loudness or what I do. Just plugging the current in and after the start screen of Hijack it sounds like white noise. I updated to the latest Hijack without problems, so it seems just to be the sound error.

What can I do? I'm technically equipped, so I could do whatever you suggest.

best regards
Rolf

#311361 - 14/06/2008 12:49 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: rowitech]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Adjust the volume? The Fader?

#311414 - 17/06/2008 08:12 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: mlord]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: mlord
Adjust the volume? The Fader?

Coffee, meet screen smile

Thanks for that
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#311417 - 17/06/2008 11:32 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: frog51]
rowitech
enthusiast

No, Volume adjustment (e.g. when tuning the knob) looks good in the display but doesn't change anything. AFAIK even when changing the source to AUX the noise is there. So I would say that the problem ist in the soundpart of the board, no software issues, just the prebooster (or whatever it is named) before letting out the hundred or so Milliwatts to the Cinch plugs.

Maybe I could change a sound IC? Or a broken capacitor? I don't know where I have to put my two left hands smile.

Rolf

#311421 - 17/06/2008 12:09 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: rowitech]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
One of my players here was noisy last winter.

Until I took it apart and found the connector pin that was just hanging by its last thread of wire, and recrimped it.

Check and double-check the internal wiring harnesses, that go between the mainboard and the docking connector.

If you're using the RCA outputs, then check for loose solder joints between them and the mainboard -- I had another unit with that problem once.

Cheers

#311458 - 18/06/2008 15:38 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: mlord]
rowitech
enthusiast

Thanks Mark, I will check it and maybe resolder the outputs.

Rolf

#311649 - 29/06/2008 14:54 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: rowitech]
rowitech
enthusiast

Solved:
It's an Empeg, so it couldn't be really dead. I breathed some air thru the plugs and disconnected and connected every connector inside so it would have a proper connection (without dust).

Well, it works! Yeah.

Why did I reanimate my Empeg? I am owner of the german Volkawagen Scirocco Forum (www.sciroccoforum.de). In 2006 the girls and boys of that forum gave me a Scirocco as a present. Yes, a real car, built in a whole year with parts and help of 100 people. And for this car nothing is good as a car stereo less than an Empeg.

Oh, I love my car (www.koenigsrocco.de) and the Empeg smile.

best regards from sunny Germany,
Rolf

#311668 - 29/06/2008 18:41 Re: ? Hardware error: Just something like white noise, no sound [Re: rowitech]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I am owner of the german Volkawagen Scirocco Forum (www.sciroccoforum.de). In 2006 the girls and boys of that forum gave me a Scirocco as a present.

Whoa! How would I go about starting a Lamborghini forum...

tanstaafl.