Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#322467 - 21/05/2009 13:37 Cure for Hiccups?
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
This morning I was overcome with a fit of hiccups. I couldn't tell you what brought it on- I don't know.
They were hitting me at a pretty good rate. It felt like about one every five seconds for more than a minute.

My curiosity kicked in- "Nah- can't be every 5 seconds!"
I started watching the second hand on my watch, gathering the duration between hiccup data.
10 seconds (hiccup)
15 seconds (hiccup)
35 seconds (hiccup)
done.
I watched for a full minute after the last one and I haven't been bothered since.

So- is this something like 'A watched pot doesn't boil' or more likely 'second hand sweep hypnotism'?
Previously I've tried relaxation exercises and flexing my diaphragm to try to ward off the spasms, but these attempts have never worked so well as what just happened with my watch.

All I know is that next time I get the hiccups I'm going to try it again.

#322476 - 21/05/2009 14:55 Re: Cure for Hiccups? [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's funny. I had a similar experience.

I was recently treated for a stomach ulcer and they did an endoscopy to verify it, and it required me to be under sedation while they did it. They told me the sedation wasn't quite as drastic as general anesthesia, it was more like going to sleep on command. It also involved a drug that numbed my throat and made it less susceptible to the gag reflex.

After I woke up and was driven home, I got the world's worst case of hiccups. I felt like they were never going to stop. So I called the doctor's office and asked them what the hell was up, and whether or not they knew how to fix this terrible side effect that they had caused me to undergo. By the time I got finished explaining the problem, the hiccups were gone.

#322481 - 21/05/2009 16:44 Re: Cure for Hiccups? [Re: Robotic]
Redrum
old hand

I drink a large glass of water and they go away every time. I've told others to do this and it doesn't help them.