Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#325817 - 09/09/2009 16:24 New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Looks like the new Touch models weren't ready for release and in their place Apple announced only a speedbump/refresh. All the images of cases for a camera-sporting Touch are not likely to be fakes. These were the same types of leaks as other years - all of which proved to be accurate.

Also underwhelming is the new Nano. It does have some great new additions at a nice price point, but Apple has been extra coy and disingenuous with its announcement.

The first thing was their comparison to the Flip video recorder. They didn't announce any specs for the iPod's own video recording. Checking the freshly posted specs on their site however shows it only records VGA video. Who the fuck wants that? My 10 year old digicam records VGA video and uploads it to every sharing site on the net simultaneously via HSDPA.

Ok, maybe 10 y/o cameras don't do upload, but VGA video is so 5 years ago. The Flip they showed in their slides does 1280x720. And so do half a dozen other Flip competitors and a number of tiny digicams.

The iPod also doesn't do stills. At least there's nothing written about it on their marketing pages or tech specs. I suppose it's a fixed 640x480 camera and it would sound/look pretty crummy to announce it could shoot < 1/3MP images.

The shuffle... yawn. No changes except price.

This event was primarily a venue for announcing recent iTunes milestones. I understand they need to cripple the Touch to keep the iPhone looking hot, but it's really starting to look lame from a hardware perspective. The focus it seems is primarily on apps and perhaps with a great big push coming for games. They're pushing even harder for comparisons against dedicated handheld games machines now.

The iTunes 9 sharing feature does sound like the bright spot of the announcements. At least if it doesn't end up being a PITA to use or being crippled in some way they didn't make clear in the event.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/09/2009 16:35)

#325826 - 09/09/2009 17:44 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The new iTunes as far as music goes, isn't really any better than the previous version. Nothing significant was added.

If you manage iPods and iPhones then the improvement to the app organization is going to be a big plus.

I'm not sure if the new store layout requires this new version, but I can see Apple making it that way. Even though the content is HTML and would have presented perfectly fine in the 8.x version.

EDIT: Nice new bug in 9.0... iTunes now mixes together the tracks of multi-disc releases. It used to number the tracks 1..10 followed by 1..10 and now it does 1,1,2,2,3,3...10,10 Arrgh.

#325828 - 09/09/2009 17:56 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I agree about the underwhelming aspect of the announcements. It was more of an Apple bragfest than an announcement of a genuinely cool new product, drop everything and queue up to get one right now.

#325829 - 09/09/2009 18:05 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm more "don't-cared". I'm not obsessed with the output of any particular company, and I don't know why anyone else should be. If there was something neat, I'd hear about it anyway. If not, well, then I'll still hear it, from the obsessed.

#325830 - 09/09/2009 18:07 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I don't believe one has to care or be obsessed in the least about any particular company to have an opinion about a particular announcement. Or in this case an event with a number of announcements.

So now that you've heard about what's been released, what's your opinion of those products. Mine as mentioned is "meh."

#325832 - 09/09/2009 18:13 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

What Bruno said in his original post. Meh. Nothing that warranted a big event.

#325833 - 09/09/2009 18:23 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

To tell you the truth, the device that truly looks to be pretty cool as a music and media player, is the new Zune HD. I'm sure it's going to be a failure, and that's too bad, because it does sound like some nice hardware. I'll have to see and use the built-in software in person to give a detailed opinion though.

The iPod and iPhone right now is all about apps. They suck for music and video, IMO.

#325838 - 09/09/2009 19:14 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, in that case, what are your thoughts on Dell's new Inspiron Z laptop and Studio XPS desktop computers?

How about Pizza Hut's new stuffed-crust pan pizza or Dunkin' Donuts' new breakfast biscuits?

#325845 - 09/09/2009 20:17 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

A large number of people here own iPods and are experienced enough with current music players to be able to give an opinion (if they so choose of course) about new similar products.

I haven't used any Inspiron as a primary machine and don't have any interest in that particular product.

Everything Pizza Hut makes is an abomination scarcely fit to even share the same trash can as regular garbage.

As far as biscuits go, I prefer English muffins or a nice crusty bread. wink

#325846 - 09/09/2009 20:26 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Looks like iTunes 9 has new UI elements, once again making it stand out among the rest of the apps in OS X. And it's not 64 bit on Snow Leopard. Still beachballs a lot when trying to multitask. So, not real impressed there. Out of all the Apple apps I use, iTunes feels like a bloated cow compared to everything else.

The new syncing options are handy though. I might actually put though into the layout of my apps on the phone with the new interface. And finally, the iPhone understands events, something added to iPhoto 2 years ago.

The home sharing in iTunes will be handy for when I travel. I can stop manually moving around an iTunes library, and instead just pull over the content I want while on the road. Then if I download something, I can easily get it back onto the main desktop when I return. I was hoping they were going to enable this to work over wide area bonjour, but it looks like it's local network only.

#325853 - 09/09/2009 23:02 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Yeah Pizza Hut = yuck What ever happened to the rebranding as "The Hut" was that a joke ?

Fast food biscuits are always gross.

Mp3 players are pretty much dead to me. The reason I wanted one was to have all my music with me in the car so the price of these flash ones needs to come down enough to get some large capacities since that's all that gets made now. Plus all I listen to are podcasts now anyway and the old carbon is good enough for that.

Matt

#325857 - 10/09/2009 02:09 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I was very "meh" about the announcement. The issue I have is the same one I have with 90% of Apple's press conferences, that there isn't enough to warrant the spectacle. Seriously, here's a company that invited press from all over the nation to tell them about price cuts and treat them to a live Norah Jones song. If any other company did this, everyone would be bashing them for going to so much trouble over so little. But because it's Apple, people are used to it or forgive them for it.

Speaking of which, by far the biggest announcements were the price cuts. As predicted, the new prices make the Zune HD a little less competitive, though the 16GB Zune is going to be $20 more than the 8GB Touch (which, I wasn't aware, didn't get the speed bump that the 32 and 64GB ones have).

Anyway, I have zero interest in what happens with iTunes, as I hate using it.

Lastly: I know the Nano is thin, so they probably had no choice but to locate the camera where they did, but that doesn't make it any better of a position for it. It basically means you can't take portrait photos, and it'll be hard to keep your finger out of the lens even in landscape mode.

So yeah, a big "meh" all around.

ps- my favorite announcements today? Pandora and Facebook apps for Android! Woo!

Edited by Dignan (10/09/2009 02:42)

#325860 - 10/09/2009 03:43 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My favorite announcement: the Leica M9. Now if only I had a spare $10K laying around to get the body and maybe two "cheap" lenses.

#325872 - 10/09/2009 11:53 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
It basically means you can't take portrait photos, and it'll be hard to keep your finger out of the lens even in landscape mode.

It doesn't take photos anyway, only videos. It looks like the best way to avoid a finger in the shot is to hold it one handed. With the small size of the Nanos, this should be easy.

As for the overall hype and being underwhelming, I think it's all due to the press, and nothing specific Apple does. There has been a ton of hype leading into any Apple event, with wild rumors and other non truths building up the events to more then they really are. Other companies hold pointless events like this as well, they just don't get the hype. For example, Microsoft had an event yesterday at CEDIA to show off some features in Windows 7 Media Center, and Sony showed off some new TV models, something they also do every year about the same time like Apple does with the iPods.

#325876 - 10/09/2009 12:47 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm not underwhelmed because of the hype nor because of the press. I ignore that stuff anyway. Having worked so many years so close to Apple, I know not to trust most of the speculation and rumors leading up to an event like this. A lot of it is just pulled out of thin air.

All that aside, I just don't think what was released was nearly competitive enough within the marketplace to make me think "wow, that's some cool stuff." And of course Apple don't need to have that type of release at the moment because they command such a long lead over anyone else. This lead has, for years, lead to some pretty crummy progress on their part though. When a company has this type of share however, it's nice to see them competing with themselves and continuing a strong path of innovation. Apple seem to always make a decent (or even grand) splash when something absolutely new comes out, but then it pretty much stops there. Even with the iPhone this is easy to see. The only exciting thing happening there are 3rd party apps.

My takes on the other stuff: Leica M9 - a super expensive point and shoot from a company that has done absolutely nothing remarkable in the digital realm. Leica digital products are as underwhelming as any non-desrcript P&S released month after month. The only thing going for them is nostalgia, IMO. I wouldn't pay $500 for an M8 nor M9. Seriously.

Facebook. I think it's getting obvious that this thing is a few steps lower on the social evolutionary ladder than AOL. My wife uses it and I cringe. Fingers crossed that it goes away in a few years. At least it's not as totally and completely useless as Twitter - which makes Apple look like it has no hype whatsoever.

Pandora... It's radio. Radio you have to pay for. No thanks.

Apple's iTunes LP format... You need a 2GHz Core 2 Duo minimum to use these new files. What? They're still 246kbit AAC. I would have liked to see an "album" format that costs $17 use a non-lossy codec. Most people won't give a crap, but I won't be buying any digital downloads at even half the price of a CD, let alone up to two times the price.

#325879 - 10/09/2009 13:12 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Calling the Leica M9 a "point and shoot" misunderstands the camera. It's got a full-frame 18MP sensor (albeit not in the same league as the sensors from Canon and Nikon). It's got some really spectacular lenses (spectacular in both price and image quality). It's got a bizaro manual focus system that is actually pretty cool to use. It lacks the mirror box of SLRs, meaning there's some parallax issues to deal with, but you get the moral equivalent of these fancy image stabilization systems simply because there's less bouncing around inside the camera.

Perhaps most importantly, the M9 has a completely old-school user interface. Select your shutter speed and aperture, then press the button. Consult the meter if you must. After fighting with all the menus upon menus in my Panasonic LX3, it would be awfully nice sometimes to have all of the relevant state of the camera represented in two simple knobs instead.

If I could get a complete M9 kit, with lenses, for $3000, I'd buy it tomorrow. Since the actual price for my dream kit is well north of $10K, I'll be sitting it out for now.

#325880 - 10/09/2009 13:29 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The M8 was hotly anticipated before it came out. Same nostalgic rangefinder appreciation - which I can understand. But it didn't deliver the goods. Image quality lags behind Canon and Nikon. At the end of the day, you're paying bespoke prices for something that's still essentially mass produced and that isn't able to deliver the image quality of cameras costing a fraction of its price.

I did forget that the M9 was introducing a full frame sensor. The sensor would definitely bring up the price significantly in any camera. If it could deliver the goods in the IQ department I'd give up $1000. That might translate to $2000 for people who might be more interested. But $10k? Nope. Not going to cut it. At that price, it might as well be selling to the folks who want it covered in Swarovski crystals or precious stones and metals.

I will also concede that new P&S don't have manual controls. wink

EDIT: Two things I'm most jealous about Leica Rangefinders... The first is the ease of manual focus. Manual focus is next to useless on current Nikon and Canon bodies, IME. And of course Leica's native support for the DNG raw format, which I'm sure comes from their desire not to sink funds into developing their own software, rather than their eagerness to support Adobe's initiative. Whatever the case, it's a breath of fresh air being able to use non-camera-maker software to fully develop your raw images according to the original camera-set intent.

#325881 - 10/09/2009 13:35 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, Swarovski does make optical glass in addition to their overpriced rhinestones.

#325882 - 10/09/2009 13:36 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh, I might as well add the other totally underwhelming release of the week into this thread. The Palm Pixi. Oh boy. Way to segment your Pre market further by introducing such a craptastic handset. Developers are going to love having devices with two different screen sizes. Oh wait, there are no developers for WebOS.

#325887 - 10/09/2009 15:04 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

A useful way to think about the M9's insane price: A brand-new M9 body costs a staggering $7000. A Leica M7 (film) body costs $4400. That means the "digital premium" is $2600.

For contrast, a Nikon F6 film body, new (assuming you can find one) is $2500. The Nikon D700 digital body is $2700. Digital premium? Only $200. Of course, the F6 was something of a collector's item, so maybe a Nikon F100 is a better comparison. That body is $750 new, yielding a "digital premium" of not quite $2000. Somehow, I imagine the real answer, for Nikon/Canon, is somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

If you look at it this way, then the Leica digital premium is maybe 2x what it should be, and the Leica base price is clearly out of whack as well.

If the Leica M9 were manufactured in the volumes of the Nikon D700 / Canon 5D Mk II, I'll bet it would go for half of it's current price. It's not that Leica's making a killing, but rather that they have very high development costs and an expensive manufacturing process, for which they don't have the economies of scale to help us out. If you read DPReview's Leica Factory Tour, they note that the manufacturing floorspace dedicated to the R-series of SLRs is much smaller than the M-series. Leica rangefinders are just tweakier to get right, and they (rightly?) make you pay out the nose for it.

Edited by DWallach (11/09/2009 11:53)
Edit Reason: Can't do math.

#325891 - 10/09/2009 16:41 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Facebook. I think it's getting obvious that this thing is a few steps lower on the social evolutionary ladder than AOL. My wife uses it and I cringe. Fingers crossed that it goes away in a few years.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. It only has something like 300 million users. And comparing it to AOL? I don't see that.

Quote:
Pandora... It's radio. Radio you have to pay for. No thanks.

Okay, I really want you to tell me how that statement is at all accurate. I listened to Pandora for a couple hours yesterday. Didn't pay a dime. I also didn't hear a single announcer or commercial the entire time, didn't hear a single repeated song, or a bunch of crap the record companies are trying to push. 95% of it was stuff I liked, and for the other 5% I could just skip it.

So no, it's nothing in the least like terrestrial radio, and it's completely free. You get some benefits from the paid version, but you don't "have to" pay, as you assert.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I maintain that Apple puts on more spectacle in these press conferences, and does so more than other companies. Did Microsoft have Norah Jones at their WMC event? "Ladies and gentlemen, we think the new camera in the nano is so great, here's Norah Jones!"

*edit*
I agree with Lifehacker here. That feature excites me more than anything else they mentioned. Of course, that's because it will fit my uses perfectly. This way, when my wife asks me to add something to iTunes, I don't have to launch it on her computer. I can simply put the files in the iTunes folder on our NAS, and the next time she opens it up, it'll get done.

Up until now, I've been putting the files on the NAS, and opening iTunes on my computer to add them to our library, which would then get updated when she logged on. Now I can (thank goodness) uninstall iTunes from my PC. Woohoo!

ps- oh, and this is a feature Songbird had before iTunes wink

Edited by Dignan (10/09/2009 17:01)

#325899 - 10/09/2009 17:24 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I maintain that Apple puts on more spectacle in these press conferences, and does so more than other companies. Did Microsoft have Norah Jones at their WMC event? "Ladies and gentlemen, we think the new camera in the nano is so great, here's Norah Jones!"

Apple has musicians at their musical events. Microsoft has musicians at their operating system launches.

#325900 - 10/09/2009 17:29 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

And comparing it to AOL? I don't see that.

Really? You don't see Facebook trying to be a catch-all replacement for "the internet" just as AOL was trying? I mean, to a lot of people (just like it was with AOL), Facebook *IS* "the internet." They use it for email, instant messaging, contact management, picture uploading, news, etc...

Re: Pandora being a paid service...

Quote:
Okay, I really want you to tell me how that statement is at all accurate.

I thought the "free" Pandora had gone away or had been severely crippled over a year ago? Ok, "free" is nice. But watch out for airtime usage if you're not using WiFi. But, it's still radio. Better radio, yes.

Quote:
I agree with Lifehacker here. That feature excites me more than anything else they mentioned.

That feature is next to absolutely worthless for me because Apple have not implemented it in a sensible way. One specific watched folder? What good is that? You still have to manually copy your music to that location. How is that any easier or more automatic than dragging it (from wherever) into iTunes?

Now, if I could set my own watched folder (like in every other application I've ever heard of or used that uses that type of feature), then I could set my principle top-level music folder and it would grab anything under it, including within sub-folders if it was done right. I'll admit that plenty of other software with customizable watch folders won't handle arbitrary sub-folders.

Quote:
I can simply put the files in the iTunes folder on our NAS, and the next time she opens it up, it'll get done.

Correction, you must put it into the special watched folder within the iTunes folder. I can still see how this might be useful for you though since you're not actually going to be using your wife's machine.

This needs to be made into a preference item that allows an arbitrary list of folders with the ability to set whether or not to scan sub-folders before it's really useful for the widest audience.

Quote:
ps- oh, and this is a feature Songbird had before iTunes wink

It's a pretty basic feature. Other companies always have a ton of room to innovate because Apple *always* does a half-assed job with their consumer software. Only their pro-level software goes to 3/4-assed. Or is that 1/4-assed?

#325906 - 10/09/2009 18:33 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy

Correction, you must put it into the special watched folder within the iTunes folder.
[...]

Ok, useless for me as well, then.
Does anybody know if you can at least organize subfolders as you wish? If so, maybe there's some (windows) registry setting to change the top level folder?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#325939 - 11/09/2009 06:38 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
The Palm Pixi. Oh boy. Way to segment your Pre market further by introducing such a craptastic handset.

I like the Pixi! So yeah, it is low end compared to the Pre with its 2MP Camera (fine by me), slightly smaller screen (WebOS scales everything anyway - practically a non issue), no WiFi (I practically never use the WiFi on my G1) and slightly slower processor (ok thats annoying).

But, its really slim! Very pocketable, no sliding and moving bits is a huge bonus and supposed to be cheap too. I like it a lot, its like a WebOS Treo.

#325941 - 11/09/2009 08:28 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Facebook. I think it's getting obvious that this thing is a few steps lower on the social evolutionary ladder than AOL. My wife uses it and I cringe. Fingers crossed that it goes away in a few years.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. It only has something like 300 million users. And comparing it to AOL? I don't see that.

Maybe Bruno doesn't like Facebook because he doesn't actually have any friends to go on it with him? If he acts like he does on the BBS in real life I bet he's a really popular guy at social engagements......

Andy M

#325943 - 11/09/2009 11:02 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: sein]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sein
...no WiFi (I practically never use the WiFi on my G1)

Oh man, I missed that! No WiFi? I think I'd shoot myself! I use WiFi on my G1 constantly. Then again, I don't have 3G on AT&T, so maybe I'd use it less if I did...

#325945 - 11/09/2009 11:55 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Also, when traveling internationally with my iPhone, I disable the data service and go exclusively with the WiFi. Couldn't to that on the Palm Pixi (assuming you were roaming to one of the few countries that has CDMA infrastructure...).

#325951 - 11/09/2009 12:45 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

How may countries outside the US even still use CDMA? Canada? At this point I think the Pre has been both a success and a failure. It's been able to keep Palm alive, but I suspect they are very much under their estimates. We'll have to see how this is going to play out long term. The Pixi is an indication that they're gong to segment their product line which isn't going to bode well to solidify and expand mind-share.

With regards to Facebook, I have people inviting me on a weekly basis. Before that it was Linked-In and Hi5 and so many others. Facebook is a load of rubbish, IMO. I'm not a fan of "catch-all" sites and for many people it ends up being their only web destination. I'll give it props for looking better than MySpace, but I wouldn't even wipe my ass with either of them.

It's also a problematic scourge for IT, a big time-waster and project breaker for companies and a wasteful time-sink and addictive obsession for some people. I know at least one person who's personal life is being quite affected by Facebook at the moment. Not a good scene.

Andy does bring up another valid problem with how some people treat Facebook. You'll find this covered in the media as of late because they love to whore Facebook and Twitter. A lot of folks compete on the basis of "friend count" - they could really not give a rat's ass who the "friend" is nor ever communicate with them, so long as their count goes "ping," up by one. A cottage industry is forming around this phenomenon and you're seeing "friends" for sale. Wholesale even.

BTW Andy, your personal attacks are indeed tiring, but I can ignore them. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings with the truth in whatever other threads you keep complaining about.

#325952 - 11/09/2009 12:56 Re: New iPods - anyone else underwhelmed? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Back on topic.... I've now also *finally* been able to get iTunes to fully scan all my music for its "Genius" features *and* submit those tracks to Apple (that last bit wasn't working for the first two days).

I can say that the Genius side-bar does have its uses, though it won't replace visiting Last.fm nor Rate Your Music for me. The Genius Mixes (the new feature) however is very disappointing. It definitely uses the genres you have your music tagged with, not what Apple may be using at their store. If you have a disproportionate amount of music with one set of tags, you're going to end up with mostly mixes for that type of music. Seeing as you're limited to 12 mix selections, you really don't have the room for variety because you can't actually customize the mix presets.

A more useful feature would be to allow creating these mixes by choosing some seed artists or genres yourself. As it stands this is just another half-assed pseudo-feature. Neat enough to encourage thought on the subject, but implemented badly enough to cause mostly frustration. The Apple M.O. for a while.

Small correction to my opening post... I believe Apple showed an image of a standard Flip Mino in their slides (also does VGA video), not the MinoHD (720p recording). However, the standard Mino is under $129 retail. The MinoHD is the one within the price territory of the iPod Nano (at $150+)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >