Calling the Leica M9 a "point and shoot" misunderstands the camera. It's got a full-frame 18MP sensor (albeit not in the same league as the sensors from Canon and Nikon). It's got some really spectacular lenses (spectacular in both price and image quality). It's got a bizaro manual focus system that is actually pretty cool to use. It lacks the mirror box of SLRs, meaning there's some parallax issues to deal with, but you get the moral equivalent of these fancy image stabilization systems simply because there's less bouncing around inside the camera.

Perhaps most importantly, the M9 has a completely old-school user interface. Select your shutter speed and aperture, then press the button. Consult the meter if you must. After fighting with all the menus upon menus in my Panasonic LX3, it would be awfully nice sometimes to have all of the relevant state of the camera represented in two simple knobs instead.

If I could get a complete M9 kit, with lenses, for $3000, I'd buy it tomorrow. Since the actual price for my dream kit is well north of $10K, I'll be sitting it out for now.