Originally Posted By: Dignan
And comparing it to AOL? I don't see that.

Really? You don't see Facebook trying to be a catch-all replacement for "the internet" just as AOL was trying? I mean, to a lot of people (just like it was with AOL), Facebook *IS* "the internet." They use it for email, instant messaging, contact management, picture uploading, news, etc...

Re: Pandora being a paid service...

Quote:
Okay, I really want you to tell me how that statement is at all accurate.

I thought the "free" Pandora had gone away or had been severely crippled over a year ago? Ok, "free" is nice. But watch out for airtime usage if you're not using WiFi. But, it's still radio. Better radio, yes.

Quote:
I agree with Lifehacker here. That feature excites me more than anything else they mentioned.

That feature is next to absolutely worthless for me because Apple have not implemented it in a sensible way. One specific watched folder? What good is that? You still have to manually copy your music to that location. How is that any easier or more automatic than dragging it (from wherever) into iTunes?

Now, if I could set my own watched folder (like in every other application I've ever heard of or used that uses that type of feature), then I could set my principle top-level music folder and it would grab anything under it, including within sub-folders if it was done right. I'll admit that plenty of other software with customizable watch folders won't handle arbitrary sub-folders.

Quote:
I can simply put the files in the iTunes folder on our NAS, and the next time she opens it up, it'll get done.

Correction, you must put it into the special watched folder within the iTunes folder. I can still see how this might be useful for you though since you're not actually going to be using your wife's machine.

This needs to be made into a preference item that allows an arbitrary list of folders with the ability to set whether or not to scan sub-folders before it's really useful for the widest audience.

Quote:
ps- oh, and this is a feature Songbird had before iTunes wink

It's a pretty basic feature. Other companies always have a ton of room to innovate because Apple *always* does a half-assed job with their consumer software. Only their pro-level software goes to 3/4-assed. Or is that 1/4-assed?