The M8 was hotly anticipated before it came out. Same nostalgic rangefinder appreciation - which I can understand. But it didn't deliver the goods. Image quality lags behind Canon and Nikon. At the end of the day, you're paying bespoke prices for something that's still essentially mass produced and that isn't able to deliver the image quality of cameras costing a fraction of its price.

I did forget that the M9 was introducing a full frame sensor. The sensor would definitely bring up the price significantly in any camera. If it could deliver the goods in the IQ department I'd give up $1000. That might translate to $2000 for people who might be more interested. But $10k? Nope. Not going to cut it. At that price, it might as well be selling to the folks who want it covered in Swarovski crystals or precious stones and metals.

I will also concede that new P&S don't have manual controls. wink

EDIT: Two things I'm most jealous about Leica Rangefinders... The first is the ease of manual focus. Manual focus is next to useless on current Nikon and Canon bodies, IME. And of course Leica's native support for the DNG raw format, which I'm sure comes from their desire not to sink funds into developing their own software, rather than their eagerness to support Adobe's initiative. Whatever the case, it's a breath of fresh air being able to use non-camera-maker software to fully develop your raw images according to the original camera-set intent.