Peter, your points are all completely valid and absolutely make sense. The same with Matt's. But I do think that you guys (and even some people I know that have similar usage patterns and motivation) are the exception rather than the rule. And keep in mind, that at least in my case, when I criticize Facebook, I'm talking about the platform and its creators rather than its users (unless I mention them specifically). So I still maintain that it's an AOL-like destination. Now some movie studios are picking up on it and are starting to do thing like include "Facebook keywords" in movie advertisements.

I'll say it again, Twitter is the most over-hyped POS to have hit the net in... Forever. It was first picked up by people who were definitely web savvy. But by people who use words like "meme." The internet stuffy crowd, the folks who seemed to be trying to make themselves into the internet aristocrats in a way. Now it's being picked up by everyone. Their site is a usability nightmare and just completely useless for an outsider. As soon as you use Twitter for things like replies it becomes totally impossible to follow. It was designed as a one-stop shop for mini RSS-like announcements and now people are using it as a replacement for Instant Messaging in some cases.