Looks like the new Touch models weren't ready for release and in their place Apple announced only a speedbump/refresh. All the images of cases for a camera-sporting Touch are not likely to be fakes. These were the same types of leaks as other years - all of which proved to be accurate.

Also underwhelming is the new Nano. It does have some great new additions at a nice price point, but Apple has been extra coy and disingenuous with its announcement.

The first thing was their comparison to the Flip video recorder. They didn't announce any specs for the iPod's own video recording. Checking the freshly posted specs on their site however shows it only records VGA video. Who the fuck wants that? My 10 year old digicam records VGA video and uploads it to every sharing site on the net simultaneously via HSDPA.

Ok, maybe 10 y/o cameras don't do upload, but VGA video is so 5 years ago. The Flip they showed in their slides does 1280x720. And so do half a dozen other Flip competitors and a number of tiny digicams.

The iPod also doesn't do stills. At least there's nothing written about it on their marketing pages or tech specs. I suppose it's a fixed 640x480 camera and it would sound/look pretty crummy to announce it could shoot < 1/3MP images.

The shuffle... yawn. No changes except price.

This event was primarily a venue for announcing recent iTunes milestones. I understand they need to cripple the Touch to keep the iPhone looking hot, but it's really starting to look lame from a hardware perspective. The focus it seems is primarily on apps and perhaps with a great big push coming for games. They're pushing even harder for comparisons against dedicated handheld games machines now.

The iTunes 9 sharing feature does sound like the bright spot of the announcements. At least if it doesn't end up being a PITA to use or being crippled in some way they didn't make clear in the event.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/09/2009 16:35)