Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#331083 - 17/03/2010 11:57 Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions
graynada
new poster

Loc: Portsmouth, UK
A while ago a friend gave me a Mk2 to play with, and has been in my shed ever since. Last weekend it got to the top of my 'around to it' pile, and it has been upgraded to v2.01-final, and then Hijack v508, loaded with music, fitted in beloved Audi A8Q, and enjoyed ever since. I have been much impressed with sound quality which seems to integrate seamlessly with the Bose amplifier system factory fitted in the car. I just need a red lens now to make it match the dashboard perfectly.

Please excuse new owner ignorance, my I am having one or 2 issues.

1. The unit doesn't power off when I turn off the ignition and I expect this may be due to the peculiarities of the Audi wiring, however until I get in the wiring with my meter, is there a way to turn the unit off completely? If I use 'Power Off' it goes to a sort of standby but is still drawing over 300mA. If I use 'Quit' from the menu it reboots! Is there some setting somewhere to affect this behaviour or another way to shut it down completely?

2. The left and right buttons don't work as the manual suggest they should when trying to tune the radio. I have achieved the aim through the of use of the remote control however it would be much easier to be able to use the buttons.

3. The radio signal strength meter is always greyed out along it's length. I seem to be getting reasonable reception, but could I need to do the poor reception fix described in the forums?

Thanks in advance, I am sure I have more questions, but they just haven't surfaced yet!

Mk2 v509 hijack
1996 Audi A8Q 4.2L

#331089 - 17/03/2010 16:14 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: graynada]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: graynada
1. The unit doesn't power off when I turn off the ignition and I expect this may be due to the peculiarities of the Audi wiring, however until I get in the wiring with my meter, is there a way to turn the unit off completely?

It only stays in standby (blinking blue light) for a few minutes, before powering down completely. I believe the "few minutes" is configurable in hijack. You can also pull it out of the sled. smile

Edited by canuckInOR (17/03/2010 16:14)

#331091 - 17/03/2010 16:24 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: graynada]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
1. The only way to get it to power off completely is to remove power from the orange (IIRC) cable. Depending on how it's configured, it may sit in standby for a while before it goes off. If, when you turn off the car, it doesn't go into it's blinking-LED standby mode, then there is definitely a wiring problem. If it does, there isn't, and you just need to wait a while. The time delay is configurable from emplode.

2. Yeah, the radio controls were changed with the 2.0 software. The only way to tune it is with the remote or using the IRtranslate feature of Hijack. You should be able to search to find the appropriate configuration options for that.

3. Did you install a powered antenna adapter? I'd be surprised if your Audi's antenna didn't require power. I bet this is the problem, but it could be something else.

#331094 - 17/03/2010 19:58 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: wfaulk]
graynada
new poster

Thank you for the replies. I have been checking the Audi wiring diagrams and I am now almost sure there is a permanent +12v where the empeg wants a the ignition switched +12v. I'll get in the dash and sort that one and hopefully that will cure the power off thing. I have found the power off seconds function in JEmplore so I'll have a play with that too once I have the wiring sorted out.

My car didn't have the correct aerial when I got it so getting the right one is in my around to it list. To be honest the reception seems ok, so it is really a niggle more than a problem.

Thanks again

Mk2 v509 hijack
1996 Audi A8Q 4.2L

#331096 - 17/03/2010 22:20 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: graynada]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The unit doesn't power off when I turn off the ignition and I expect this may be due to the peculiarities of the Audi wiring

Audi wiring is similar to VW wiring, right?
Why doesn't my player go into standby mode when I turn off the ignition?

Quote:
The radio signal strength meter is always greyed out along it's length. I seem to be getting reasonable reception

Sounds like the opposite problem of one of these, perhaps similar fixes are needed:
I'm having trouble with my tuner module!
My tuner gets terrible reception, but the extension cable is fine.
or possibly:
Some wires have pulled out of my docking connector!

Quote:
The left and right buttons don't work as the manual suggest they should when trying to tune the radio

Why won't the tuner scan for the next station?
Rio Car Button Guide.

#331132 - 19/03/2010 10:24 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: tfabris]
graynada
new poster

Thank you for the info, I'll get back in there this weekend and work out what Audi have done!

Mk2 v509 hijack
1996 Audi A8Q 4.2L

#331141 - 19/03/2010 15:58 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Have you been building up to that Tony? Most excellent FAQ linkage smile

Now where is Bitt to correct my grammar? It will be just like old times wink

Welcome graynada to the happy empeg family.

Cheers

Cris.

#331158 - 20/03/2010 05:23 Re: Newish empeg owner with a couple of questions [Re: Cris]
graynada
new poster

Originally Posted By: Cris
Have you been building up to that Tony? Most excellent FAQ linkage smile

Now where is Bitt to correct my grammar? It will be just like old times wink

Welcome graynada to the happy empeg family.

Cheers

Cris.

Thank you

Mk2 v509 hijack
1996 Audi A8Q 4.2L