Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34403 - 13/07/2001 10:10 Wanted: Green AR faceplate (Buy or Trade)
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I have a red MkII AR faceplate that I would trade for a green MkII AR. Heck, I'd even trade it for a blue at this point, but would pay a premium for green. What will a green faceplate sell for on the eStore later this year? I'll double it for a virgin green lens. I don't know how to use Paypal, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Why the rush? Well (for anybody lusting after a red lens...) essentially my Empeg is presently only really usable at night. Yes, Tony, I checked the dimmer FAQ and both my dimmer settings are 100% and the VFD appears to be working correctly (it is still visible at night with lowest dimmer settings). On any sort of a modestly bright day, though, whether exposed to direct sunlight or not, the display is not readable. I expect to find myself on page 1 of the Seattle Times "Man runs over 14 while attempting to play music. State considers ban on non-voice-activated MP3 players while driving".

As far as I am concerned, this display issue seems like the one Achilles heel of the Empeg -- a source of possible grave disappointment for folks with red/amber dash lighting. I first observed this on the boat in direct sunlight, but didn't imagine it might remain as big a problem in the car. Is it possible that I'm still doing something wrong? I wish! I am open to any suggestions short of adding a visor to my dashboard. By all reports, the green and blue improve upon this. I truly hope so, as I didn't really want to tint my car windows really, really dark for any other reason.

I've been looking to obtain a green faceplate through Rio channels since, what, April? I understand that they are held up in manufacturing now, but I have little faith that they'll appear on the U.S. eStore anytime soon. Sleds, which have supposedly been in the U.S. for (6?) weeks are still not listed on the eStore.

Any small mercies appreciated,

Jim

Edited by jimhogan on 13/07/01 06:11 PM.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#34404 - 13/07/2001 18:47 Re: Wanted: Green AR faceplate (Buy or Trade) [Re: jimhogan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If you are interested, I have a USED green and a blue faceplate that I am not using (currently using DarkStorm's smoke). But - they are not AR. If you would like a green non-AR, you are welcome to trade. I don't really have a use for the red right now, but... Wasn't there someone else who wanted red on this board? Greg Combs - I remember you posting that you wanted red. Is this still the case? We might be able to work out a three way swap.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Smoke)

Edited by pgrzelak on 14/07/01 02:51 AM.

#34405 - 13/07/2001 19:13 Manage' Facia [Re: pgrzelak]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
A three-way (swap) might be interesting.... You two could trade green and red, then I'd buy the red from you?

I would give up the blue, but I don't want to be stuck with only one lens if it doesn't fit my tastes like I hope it will.

g

--
Rio Car (10MB) Blue Face (looking for Red)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34406 - 14/07/2001 00:51 Re: Wanted: Green AR faceplate (Buy or Trade) [Re: pgrzelak]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Paul,

At this point, I'd be pleased to swap the AR red for a non-AR green just to hold me over until new ARs become available. At least I'll be color coordinated! As to whether you'd like to "virtually" sell the red to Greg, just let me know. I could send the red to him or to you. Why don't you two discuss, and we can take this to e-mail and to exchange address info, etc. I have an original non-AR red I can use to keep myself operational while faceplates are flying through the mail.

Thanks!

Jim
(think my e-mail is in my profile, but it's [email protected])

#34407 - 14/07/2001 04:09 Re: Wanted: Green AR faceplate (Buy or Trade) [Re: jimhogan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
(offline negotiations underway)

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Smoke)

#34408 - 14/07/2001 05:23 Re: Manage' Facia [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
(For those who didn't Greg's joke, he meant "ménage" as in "ménage à trois". It's even funnier if you pronounce "fascia" with the accent on the last syllable...)

PS: Good one, Greg.

#34409 - 14/07/2001 07:25 Re: Manage' Facia [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Would've been better if I'd remembered how to spell it! ;-)

g

--
Rio Car (10MB) Blue Face (looking for Red)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#34410 - 14/07/2001 10:59 Re: Manage' Facia [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I got it! (I was just bitter that nobody caught my clever hidden "around the corner" reference last week. Sniff.)

Very good. And the swap deal looks like it's going to work! Es verded!

Jim