Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#358614 - 14/05/2013 16:05 Cheap remote management console
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Are there any cheap remote management consoles out there that: (a) work from bare metal? and (b) work over TCP/IP?

I ask because my Windows server is in a cupboard downstairs. When it goes wrong, I can usually remote desktop to it. When it goes severely wrong, I need to either rig a monitor to it (and there's not a lot of space), or I need to bring it upstairs to my study.

Are there any such devices as a VGA-to-VNC/RDP converter?

#358615 - 14/05/2013 17:28 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Here's the cheapest KVM over IP I could find. Otherwise, if you have a free PCI slot, you might try a RILOE (discontinued; <$20USD) or RILOE II board (~$100USD).

#358617 - 14/05/2013 19:20 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Here's the cheapest KVM over IP I could find.

That looks exactly like what I want, apart from the price smile. Thanks. Good to know that these things do exist, though.

#358620 - 14/05/2013 21:43 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Here's the cheapest KVM over IP I could find.

That looks exactly like what I want, apart from the price smile.

Yeah, and that one's on sale at 50% off. :-p

#358621 - 15/05/2013 00:08 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Roger]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH

I ask because my Windows server...When it goes severely wrong,

Alternatively, if you want to avoid this scenario, you could just run linux

*ducks and runs*

#358622 - 15/05/2013 04:42 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: JBjorgen]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Those RILOE boards might be Compaq specific? All the brands have their own version don't they. Dell has DRAC etc. Aren't they usually a semi proprietary slot too and the server main board needs to actually support it? Lots of specifics.

They are awesome to use though. Proper power cycling, remote drives etc.

Edited by Shonky (15/05/2013 04:43)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#358623 - 15/05/2013 14:52 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Shonky]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shonky
Those RILOE boards might be Compaq specific? All the brands have their own version don't they. Dell has DRAC etc. Aren't they usually a semi proprietary slot too and the server main board needs to actually support it? Lots of specifics.

It's been many years (and a profession change) but I'm pretty sure the RILOE and RILOE II that were linked to will work in any BIOS based computer just fine. It's not going to offer all the features, but they were just seen as standard video cards and some other devices to the system, along with using a normal PCI (not PCIe) slot.

http://webdevsys.com/lightsOut.htm has more info. Some people had success with remote power on as well, by hooking into the right cables inside their machine. About all you miss out on are Proliant specific features such as using the internal ribbon cable for Keyboard/Mouse instead of external PS/2 connectors. The boards were designed to go into Proliants prior to the 16/30 pin connector, hence the also broad non Compaq/HP support.

I wonder how many of the more advanced features work. For troubleshooting, the RILOE was awesome. It would video record any system crashes, allowing later replay. Windows bluescreen, Linux kernel panic, or a Netware abend, didn't matter.

#358624 - 15/05/2013 17:03 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: JBjorgen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen

(ignoring the obvious troll smile ...) wouldn't necessarily help -- I'm looking for something that works from cold, and I've had just as many instances of Linux not booting up (or simply taking longer than expected) as I have of Windows.

#358627 - 15/05/2013 20:34 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen

(ignoring the obvious troll smile ...) wouldn't necessarily help -- I'm looking for something that works from cold, and I've had just as many instances of Linux not booting up (or simply taking longer than expected) as I have of Windows.

Maybe you need new hardware? Or more ventilation in your closet?

#358629 - 15/05/2013 22:51 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: canuckInOR]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I was also going to suggest better hardware actually. All of these "addons" will probably not allow power cycles, hard resets etc. If those are your problems, I think you'd be better investing in something a bit more reliable.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#358637 - 16/05/2013 07:34 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Shonky]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shonky
I was also going to suggest better hardware actually. All of these "addons" will probably not allow power cycles, hard resets etc.

I don't care about those -- the PC's not remote -- it's just in a space where I can't easily add a monitor. I just want a way to see the "screen" remotely while the machine's booting up, so I can tell whether it's hung or merely taking a long time to boot up (e.g. installing updates or checking disks). Then I can decide whether to make a cup of tea or whether to go to the cupboard (on my way to the kitchen) and hard-reset it.

However, I can't easily run a VGA extension, for two reasons: (1) solid walls that have already been replastered recently, and (2) I'd rather not have an entire monitor on my desk for the computer downstairs.

Also, the space is relatively well-ventilated, so that's not the problem either.

#358639 - 16/05/2013 08:04 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: Roger]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I used to have a KVM over IP thingy, I'll try and find it

#358657 - 16/05/2013 23:35 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: tahir]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I would just set up the server for "serial console" and then run ordinary serial over existing(?) cat5. Much cheaper and possibly more reliable than a KVM-over-IP system.

Cheers

#358670 - 18/05/2013 15:27 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
I would just set up the server for "serial console" and then run ordinary serial over existing(?) cat5.

All of the CAT5 runs from that cupboard are already being used for Gig-E, and only one of them goes to the study. Also, the PC doesn't have any serial ports (and USB to serial ain't gonna work until it's part way through the boot process, which is kinda the problem).

Hey ho. I was merely wondering. If I could find a cheap VGA-frame-capture device, it might be a fun Raspberry Pi project (in my copious free time).

#358671 - 18/05/2013 15:33 Re: Cheap remote management console [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tahir
I used to have a KVM over IP thingy, I'll try and find it

Thanks, but don't worry unduly -- it was partly idle speculation, rather than a pressing need.