Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361124 - 02/03/2014 15:03 RIOCAR not found in emplode
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
I have a cable modem/router which feeds into an Ethernet switch which then feeds into a wireless router. The RIOCAR is hooked up to the wireless router and when connected the link light lights up on the player and the port on the router lights up as well. however emplode will not find the player. When I hook up the player directly to the cable modem/router it finds it no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed

#361125 - 02/03/2014 15:50 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: edsmiata]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Check the about menu for the IP address when attached to each. Make sure it's getting a valid IP in both places.

If it is getting one in both places, try using that IP to directly connect using emplode.

The 10mbit ethernet connection on the empeg sometimes doesn't work correctly with some switches.

#361127 - 02/03/2014 22:23 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: drakino]
edsmiata
addict

may I ask how I would go about doing that? I guess I can find this out when I hook up the player to the modem but how will I find this out when I hook it up to the router since I cannot find it in emplode?

#361128 - 03/03/2014 03:22 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
may I ask how I would go about doing that?

When Tom said "check the about menu", he meant this:

On the Empeg's main menu, on its actual screen, using its faceplate buttons, go into the main menu and select ABOUT. That's five clicks to the right of the PLAYLISTS menu.

When that menu comes up, press the right-arrow button to scroll down so that you can see the ethernet ip address. For example, mine looks like ETH0 IP: 192.168.0.69

Next, on the computer that you're using to try to connect to the empeg, get its IP address as well. Use the Windows command prompt to do an IPCONFIG. For your "Local Area Connection" ethernet card, you should see an IPV4 address. What is it? Do the first three sets of digits match? Mine says 192.168.0.3.

If yours are completely different groups of numbers, that's your problem. You need to do ethernet troubleshooting. Please refer to this:

Why can't I get Ethernet to work?

#361129 - 03/03/2014 12:41 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: tfabris]
edsmiata
addict

Ahhhhhhh...I would NEVER have figured that out!

Thanks for the feedback and will give this a try ASAP...

Thanks

Ed

Glad to see these forums are still alive and well given the EOL of this fine product!

#361131 - 04/03/2014 15:13 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: tfabris]
edsmiata
addict

ok i checked the IP address and indeed the addy on the player does not match the addy on the network.

I havent tried it yet but since the player give one the opportunity to enter an ip addy would doing so solve this issue?

EDIT:- as i read the FAQ's further it seems that one can only manually enter an IP address when connected to emplode via either serial or USB connections. With windows 7, if i remember correctly, one can only connect via an ethernet connection....if this is indeed the case how is it possible to manually enter an ip addy?

Edited by edsmiata (04/03/2014 15:37)

#361132 - 04/03/2014 15:41 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Serial is still an option for editing the player's config file.

Note: If your player is already configured for dynamic IP addressing, and your computer is configured for dynamic IP addressing, then editing the player won't do any good, you've got a different problem there where either the player or the computer is not talking to the DHCP server.

What were the IP addresses of the computer and the player?

If one of them was 169.254.x.x, then that's the issue, one of them isn't talking to its DHCP server. There's a networking problem unrelated to the player configuration, you need to solve that networking problem first.

#361138 - 05/03/2014 09:08 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: edsmiata]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Pint says the wireless router is connected upstream via its WAN port, the empeg is being NAT'd, and the PC can't connect in to it. If that's the case, the answer is to put the wireless router in AP mode rather than router mode (if it even allows that). Posting the IP addresses would help diagnose that, and if you also post the make and model of the router, we could determine exactly what the relevant setting is called on that model.

Peter

#361139 - 05/03/2014 11:58 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: peter]
edsmiata
addict

The issue has been fixed by inserting the empeg into the network before the second router....i do beleive that this was what you were telling me!

I had set up the network as follows:

Cable Modem/Router -> Switch -> long ethernet cable -> Wireless router -> Empeg

I changed it to the following:

Cable Modem/Router -> Switch -> long ethernet cable -> Switch -> Empeg ; Wireless router into second switch

thanks for all your help guys!

Ed

#361140 - 05/03/2014 15:10 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: edsmiata]
StigOE
addict

If your wireless router is like most other wireless routers nowaday, it has one WAN port and 4-5 LAN ports. If you connect your long ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the wireless router and the empeg into one of the other LAN ports, it should also work without the second switch. Then the wireless router works as an access point instead of a router, but in most home-cases you don't need the second router anyway.

#361141 - 05/03/2014 16:26 Re: RIOCAR not found in emplode [Re: StigOE]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Originally Posted By: StigOE
If your wireless router is like most other wireless routers nowaday, it has one WAN port and 4-5 LAN ports. If you connect your long ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the wireless router and the empeg into one of the other LAN ports, it should also work without the second switch. Then the wireless router works as an access point instead of a router, but in most home-cases you don't need the second router anyway.

This usually works, but be sure to turn off the DHCP server in one of the two routers.

-jk