Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36453 - 13/08/2001 12:26 Getting ready for a new arrivial
Greenbean
new poster

Loc: Oklahoma, US
Hello,

As my name indicates, I'm a (almost) new owner. I have a 30gig Blue on order and I'm impatiently waiting on it's arrival.

I wanted to try a wireless network configuration and I spent last weekend setting some of that up. I have an Orinoco GR-1000 setup as a DHCP server offering up IP's to two PC's on the 10BaseT side and one laptop on the 802.11b side. All this works fine with one exception. My Orinoco EC (Ethernet Converter) that accepts a 10BaseT and PC Card to serve wired devices on 802.11b (like the Rio Car) is not ready to go yet (more later).

I want to thank those of you who posted your experiences and problems on this board. I will be posting some specific questions in the weeks ahead (once I receive my player).

By way of contribution to the board, here are the steps I went trough last week to get my wireless network up:

Prior to Friday:
1. Ordered RG-1000 Kit (gateway and one silver card), an Orinoco (WaveLAN) EC device, and an extra silver card for the EC (from CDW).

2. Downloaded the latest drivers for the cards, firmware for the RG-1000 and the EC.

3. I already had a 10BaseT LAN at home serving the HO upstairs and an Audiorequest downstairs. As I live in the country, internet access in modem only.

Friday:
4. Open the boxes. I had a problem after first installing the RG setup software - my ME laptop locked up explorer upon boot. After about an hour I isolated it to MS .Net studio beta One. I de-installed .Net and all was well.

5. I updated the firmware on the RG, the PC cards (one was current, one was dated), and the EC.

6. I configured the RG to Bridge, DHCP serve, named and security keyed my network.

7. About 3 hours later I was surfing from my sofa on the laptop via the Gateway.

8. I have not yet gotten the EC to work. I need more time to play with this.

I have no idea exactly how this is all going to work with my Rio but I hope to have it all tested before hand. I hope that Sonic/DR will ship my unit someday (waiting since last Wed) so I can find out.

Thanks to everyone,
Will "Greenbean"

#36454 - 13/08/2001 13:48 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Jeez, you're really jupming in with both feet. Most folks don't even try the wireless thing until they've owned the player for a while.

Congratulations on your new toy, by the way.

Before the player arrives, I wouldn't worry about the wireless stuff. Instead, I'd recommend spending most of your time and energy cleaning up and organizing your MP3 collection. Get all your tags touched up and get the files organized into folders that are similar to the way you want to store them on the player. This will make the process of loading up the songs much more painless.

Check out the FAQ section of this BBS and read the entries on tags and MP3 organization.

After you've played with it for a few days, let us know how you like the unit. Put up a post in the "reviews" section of the BBS.

#36455 - 13/08/2001 13:59 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Whats the symptoms of problems with the EC ? From what I remember I had issues getting the latest firmware loaded onto the EC ( and the firmware from the website was pretty old ), but just keep retrying. Its a good idea to get everything plugged into the EC, and only then power up the EC. Now and again, if I am messing around with it, I don't get the power light on the EC, and have to disconnect the supplied power supply for a few minutes and then reconnect.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#36456 - 13/08/2001 14:43 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: tfabris]
Greenbean
new poster

Thanks for the advice on tags. I have been retagging off and on with Heilum (sp?) for a few months. I also need to re-rip quite a few albums at better quality.

I'll be glad to post my review if I'm not too busy tinkering :)

I'm off to resume my hourly checks of online order status.

Will

#36457 - 13/08/2001 15:09 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: mardibloke]
Greenbean
new poster

Well, I was trying my EC on a laptop with both a built-in NIC and the Silver drivers (although I removed the silver card at the time). I really need to try the EC on deskop with less going on.

The latest firmware I have is a file called ECIM0401.RMU dated 2/17/2000. I got it off the Orinoco site (I think) with the updated EC Manager software.

I configed my EC, setup the network name, setup the encryption key. I put in a PCMCIA card that I had updated the firmware on under windows and still can't see the network at all.

One thing that I should have changed but didn't try yet is to alter the preconfigured insternal IP on the EC. It came set to 163.##.##.1 or something and I didn't change it. I'm thinking that I should set this to an IP in my local network range. I left it because this is the IP for the EC and not the IP that the 'hosted' 10BaseT device gets. The IP of the hosted device is 163.##.##.2 (per IPCONFIG) - I'm guessing becase I had my PC setup to to get IP from DHCP and EC "faked" this by adding one to it's internal address. Have you found this to be true?

In any case, I was never able to find the EC on the network at all.

Will

#36458 - 13/08/2001 15:33 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Your spot on, probably have way too much going on on the Laptop. I have the same firmware for the EC, but looks like the EC is not being developed anymore, nor marketed really.

The wireless side of my network is all DHCP assigned by the Orinoco GW, hence 10.0.x.x. As I said its been a while since I setup the EC, hence don't remember what I did about giving it an address. I am guessing that I left it all DHCP client.

Suggest you wait for emeg to arrive, get it hooked up with Emplode and set networking to be DHCP, and just plug it into the EC and see what happens.

Should if you get stuck and I can then look at the config for mine.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#36459 - 13/08/2001 19:00 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I'll be glad to post my review

*Do* let us know the serial number too

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#36460 - 14/08/2001 06:18 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Henno]
Greenbean
new poster

Will do. Is the serial number a status thing or what?

Shipment watch: Pending Shipment for the 6th day in row (OK, two of those days were a weekend).

#36461 - 14/08/2001 06:32 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think it's because they are trying to guess how many units have been sold

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#36462 - 14/08/2001 10:40 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Shipment watch: Pending Shipment for the 6th day in row

This is interesting. I'm assuming you're in the USA and ordered from Rio?

This is in stark contrast to a European customer in another thread who's getting his order shipped the same day he placed it. Since the european orders are handled by a different group than the US orders.

Hmmmm...

#36463 - 14/08/2001 11:02 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: tfabris]
Greenbean
new poster

I'm working my way through the customer support "system" now to get a verbal status.

Rio Support verified that they had 4 in stock and that pending shipment should not take long at all. They refered me to Digital River with a bad toll free number (877 255 988). Ticket #176-9477, "Dan" helped me.

So I hit the DR web site to find a good number (952 646 5000) and I'm on hold with them now waiting on a rep (20 min so far).

I let you all know how this turns out. Maybe the order software is wrong and the FedEx is sitting on my front step right now....

#36464 - 14/08/2001 11:09 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
Greenbean
new poster

Yes, this is US order. Oklahoma did leave the union once, but we came back in the end.

I'm thinking a European order with five days of transit would have gotten here by now...

And yes, I know that some of you people waited months for the first units to ship!

#36465 - 14/08/2001 11:12 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oklahoma did leave the union once, but we came back in the end.

And probably regretting it ever since.

#36466 - 14/08/2001 16:34 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hey, we would ship from Cambridge and get next-day to anywhere in the US with fedex - timezones have their uses, you know ;)

Hugo

#36467 - 14/08/2001 16:53 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: altman]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
Hmm..good point. Then I'll look forward to getting my player back shortly :) That's be by the end of the week if I'm really lucky.

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#36468 - 17/08/2001 07:29 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Greenbean]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Henno just wants a fleece very very badly. Read about it here.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 # 080000263 (queue 1232) 6+20Gb blue/red

#36469 - 17/08/2001 10:58 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: edwin]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
D*** You blew it, Edwin!

Now I'll have to wait until they make fleeces available via the Rio store and find a way to ship anything out of the warehouse . . .

private note to Greenbean start:
I'm just curious how many players have been shipped by now. I have the impression that shipments got stalled, somehow. Just would like to disprove that hypyhesis
private note to Greenbean end

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#36470 - 17/08/2001 17:28 Re: Getting ready for a new arrivial [Re: Henno]
Greenbean
new poster

OK, then.

I got an email last night and a player today! My unit shipped out of San Jose yesterday and was waiting for me on the from pourch this evening!

I'm transfering the A's now (Allison Krauss to be precise).

It seems the dely on my original order was caused by an extra AC adaptor - so they canceled the entire order for me. The new order placed on th 14th arrived on the 17th - no complaints the speed of this order. First impressions are good (it's so light weight!). I'll post a review later.

Now just have to figure out how to have it installed in my Ford Expedition.

Thanks to all for the support!