Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#367386 - 17/08/2016 16:18 Anker
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Is it just me, or has the consumer electronics company Anker just come out of nowhere in the last year or so?

Up until about two years ago I'd never heard of them, even though my Amazon order history claims I've ordered their products as early as 2012 (a replacement laptop battery and a bluetooth transmitter). But now they've positioned themselves as one of (IMO) the best accessory manufacturers in the business. So far I've been impressed with every single one of their products that I've ordered:

Portable battery: seems solidly built, and has great battery life with reliable LED level readouts. There's hundreds of battery packs out there but this one is really nice.

Multi-port USB charger: it also has USB-C and can charge my XPS 13. This was great on vacation!

Portable bluetooth speaker: I brought this to the beach, and my son was playing with it in the sand. He also got food and water all over it, and it was easy to wash off when we got back to the apartment. Oh, and it sounds good too and it lasted at least 7 hours.

I also have one of their USB 3 hubs, the afore-mentioned laptop battery and bluetooth transmitter, a USB-C cable, and even a USB3 PCI-E card for my desktop.

The thing is, it's entirely likely that these products are likely rebadged products coming out of Chinese manufacturing facilities. But if that's the case, they must be very selective of the products they're picking up, because every Anker product I've encountered shares excellent build quality. It's not Apple-level, but their stuff seems solid and the materials are nice to the touch. Even their multi-USB wall charger felt really solid in the hand, and the case was made out of this matte plastic that just feels nice.

I know this seems like I'm shilling for Anker, but I'm really just trying to figure this out. Like I said, it seems like this company came out of nowhere, and now they have their name on dozens of different products. According to their site, they were founded by ex-Googlers (I had assumed it was a Chinese company, though my earlier theory about where the products are made could still be true). It sure seems that Anker is going to be the accessory manufacturer of the future. Logitech should probably snatch them up if they know what's good for them.

I think the main reason I'm a fan of the company is that I've had such mixed experience with accessory manufacturers in the past. It's nice to have a more reliable company to order from.

Has anyone else purchased one of their products?

#367387 - 17/08/2016 16:35 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm also a big Anker fan, all their stuff I've bought has been great:

- iPhone charger case
- a couple of USB battery packs
- a couple of 4 way 2 amp USB chargers
- a cheap ergonomic mouse (for occasional use on my gaming PC)
- assorted USB cables
- a really good USB3 hub
- a 2 way 2 amp car charger
- a USB3 Ethernet adapter
- a couple of 2 way USB charger plugs
- a five device charging station

All of them have been very good to excellent.

I too suspect they are made by other companies for them, but they are made well and packaged plainly but nicely.

#367388 - 17/08/2016 17:49 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: andy
I'm also a big Anker fan, all their stuff I've bought has been great:

- vertical mouse
- several multi-way USB chargers (mainly for my "wall of imps", but also for a stack of RPi, plus Xbox controller charging)
- lots of USB cables

#367389 - 17/08/2016 22:04 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The founders were apparently ex-Google employees. I too have been impressed by Anker gear.

#367390 - 17/08/2016 23:48 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
After having gotten sick of poor car-USB-chargers I searched for what the "best one" is and the searches came saying an Anker one. I got a couple of them and I'm happy with them so far.

#367391 - 18/08/2016 00:27 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Are their bluetooth headphones any good? And do they work with ChromeOS?

#367392 - 18/08/2016 02:02 Re: Anker [Re: Phoenix42]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phoenix42

I have no clue. But I have that bluetooth sport speaker and it's fantastic. However I'm sure it's made by a completely different supplier. Personally, I've never liked the bluetooth headphones that are the style where all the electronics are in the earbuds, and the two are just connected by a thin wire. I've tried several and the weight of the internals always pulls them out of my ear. I've had much more "luck" with the LG Tone series of headphones, though they tend to break on me.

#367393 - 18/08/2016 03:01 Re: Anker [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
After having gotten sick of poor car-USB-chargers I searched for what the "best one" is and the searches came saying an Anker one. I got a couple of them and I'm happy with them so far.
I have been buying the Scosche reVolt 2 dual car chargers. Rated at 12 watts per port, very compact. They work well but seem to cost more than the Anker equivalent.

The only reason I have not switched to Anker was a few online reports that sometimes the Anker car charger would not properly charge an iDevice unless the USB cord was removed and reconnected. I really want the full 2.4 Amp charging to work reliably with my iPhone and iPad.

There is a lot of internal dancing around these days where the 'USB' charger tries to be compatible with everything and every charging 'standard'. I didn't want any weirdness with the in-car USB chargers so I am still buying reVolt 2 chargers.

Next time around I may try the Anker product confused

#367394 - 18/08/2016 05:30 Re: Anker [Re: K447]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: K447
The only reason I have not switched to Anker was a few online reports that sometimes the Anker car charger would not properly charge an iDevice unless the USB cord was removed and reconnected. I really want the full 2.4 Amp charging to work reliably with my iPhone and iPad.

I haven't had that issue, and I'd know: My charger is mounted inside the dashboard and the cable runs to my custom dash mount for my iPhone. So if it's not charging I can't get to the thing to unplug it. (Though I could remove the phone from the mount and re-insert it if I had to. I haven't had to.)

In all fairness though, I haven't tried to use an iPad with the thing. I've only used it to charge my 6s Plus.

#367395 - 18/08/2016 06:06 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Add to my list (just ordered them);

- a 5 way in car USB charger
- an in car bluetooth receiver

#367396 - 18/08/2016 12:26 Re: Anker [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Originally Posted By: tfabris

I haven't had that issue, and I'd know: My charger is mounted inside the dashboard and the cable runs to my custom dash mount for my iPhone. So if it's not charging I can't get to the thing to unplug it. (Though I could remove the phone from the mount and re-insert it if I had to. I haven't had to.)

In all fairness though, I haven't tried to use an iPad with the thing. I've only used it to charge my 6s Plus.
I don't have the source links at hand, my recollection was that the iDevice would still charge with the Anker car charger, but not necessarily at the maximum 10 or 12 watt charge rate.

An iPhone will show the same battery lightning bolt symbol regardless of what wattage it thinks the charger is capable of, as long as it perceives something usable. The actual charge rate is not exposed.

As posted elsewhere my own car has a problem (due to factors other than the USB charger) that limits one of my iPhones to only 2.5 watts of charge rate while the other iPhone mount in the same car allows the full 2.4 amps to flow. Both iPhones look the same when charging but one charges four times faster than the other.

I know my iPads will show a Not Charging indicator if the USB power source is providing less power than the iPad needs to operate, but I don't think the iPhone has anything similar.

Edited by K447 (18/08/2016 12:53)

#367397 - 18/08/2016 23:35 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
Phoenix42
veteran

Originally Posted By: Dignan

I have no clue. But I have that bluetooth sport speaker and it's fantastic.

Thx Matt. It looks like Bluetooth support on ChromeOS is still iffy, so I'm gonna hold off for now. But I recognize those LG ones, a co-worker has them, so I should be able to test them out.

#367398 - 19/08/2016 06:35 Re: Anker [Re: Phoenix42]
andy
carpal tunnel

It looks like Bluetooth is still iffy.

I fixed your statement for you frown

I am so not looking forward to Apple's removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone this year. For me Bluetooth is still lousy every time I have to use it.

I had another example of Bluetooth lousyness just yesterday. I got an Anker Bluetooth car adapter, most of the Bluetooth stuff works well enough (within the bounds of all the usual Bluetooth badness, latency etc).

But when I tried to make a call with it (something I'm unlikely to ever do in real life), it didn't actually send any audio to the other end. I could hear the other end through the adapter, but when I went to check the quality on the answerphone I was calling, no message was recorded on either of the calls I made.

I have no idea what is broken, but it is entirely typical of my Bluetooth experiences. I really wish I could tell the iPhone to use Bluetooth for music and podcast playback, but to stick with using it's own mic for Siri etc

I'm sure that just like Linux on the desktop, Bluetooth will work properly one year wink

#367399 - 19/08/2016 06:38 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

- an in car bluetooth receiver

This one is the first Anker product that I've found slightly disappointing. It has all the usual Bluetooth crappiness, as expected.

The disappointing part is the cables, both the power and audio cable are much thinner than I'd like, not sure they'll hold up to much in car abuse.

It is certainly no empeg wink

#367400 - 19/08/2016 12:24 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
K447
old hand

I am so not looking forward to Apple's removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone this year. For me Bluetooth is still lousy every time I have to use it.
It is not a given Apple wireless headphones will use Bluetooth, or may not use the current 'standard' Bluetooth. Proprietary tech is within the realm of possible, Especially when the industry standard is not up to par.

I have not been keeping notes, have the various Apple brand wireless trackpads, mice and keyboards been using standard Bluetooth or special sauce radio tech?

Apple also uses Bluetooth for wireless tethering to iPhone, which for me has been fairly reliable. Apple Watch uses Bluetooth to link with iPhone. Seems to work well enough?

In the newest Mac OS they are now sensing Apple Watch proximity to the Mac to provide automatic Mac unlocking, which suggests they think they have a handle on getting it to work reliably.

Perhaps Apple hardware on both sides of a Bluetooth link can be more robust than using mixed brand Bluetooth?

#367401 - 19/08/2016 12:39 Re: Anker [Re: K447]
andy
carpal tunnel

It is not a given Apple wireless headphones will use Bluetooth, or may not use the current 'standard' Bluetooth. Proprietary tech is within the realm of possible, Especially when the industry standard is not up to par.

This is true and something that had occurred to me. But that doesn't really help me plug in my Bose noise cancelling headphones, unless they also adapt the Apple alternative (and even then I'd have to spend another £300).

Even if they did, it is still significantly worse than wired. The Bluetooth version of the Bose for example half half the battery life and when you find yourself with the battery dead, they are completely useless when you can't fall back to wired. And of course having to use wireless also reduces the battery life of the phone.

I have not been keeping notes, have the various Apple brand wireless trackpads, mice and keyboards been using standard Bluetooth or special sauce radio tech?

They use standard Bluetooth.

Apple also uses Bluetooth for wireless tethering to iPhone, which for me has been fairly reliable.

I've always used their default of wifi tethering rather than Bluetooth.

Apple Watch uses Bluetooth to link with iPhone. Seems to work well enough?

I own an Apple Watch, the connection back to the iPhone is often the weakest part of the user experience.

In the newest Mac OS they are now sensing Apple Watch proximity to the Mac to provide automatic Mac unlocking, which suggests they think they have a handle on getting it to work reliably.

Let's hope it is more reliable than the existing continuity features wink

Perhaps Apple hardware on both sides of a Bluetooth link can be more robust than using mixed brand Bluetooth?

Maybe, but even then having wireless be the only option is a big backward step in my opinion.

#367402 - 19/08/2016 13:06 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Andy, I completely agree with you about Bluetooth in general. My two least favorite parts of all consumer electronics are Bluetooth and printers. They're the worst.

For many, Bluetooth works great. I wish I were in that camp. After dealing with dozens of Bluetooth devices over the years, I've had maybe two instances where both my device and the accessory worked well every time. I can't even remember those because the bad ones drown them out.

Even now, I use this device to connect my phone to my car stereo. It works well for the most part, and audio almost always connects, but the playback controls fail to elicit a response all the time. I'd say they work maybe %60 of the time, which just isn't good enough.

And, sadly, as much as I love the Anker Sport speaker I was just talking up earlier in this thread, it too was giving me problems yesterday. It was constantly cutting in and out. It would do this weird thing where it would cut out for a second, then when it came back it would play the music really fast like it was trying to catch up. Like it finally received the packets it was expecting and now it knew it had to play them really quickly or it would be behind in the song. The problem, as ever, is that I can't tell if the problem is with the speaker, the phone, or Google Music. The exact same setup worked perfectly fine at the beach. The only difference was that I wasn't on WiFi. Maybe I'll try switching to cellular today and see if that works better.

Anyway, Bluetooth sucks.

#367403 - 19/08/2016 13:45 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
K447
old hand

This is true and something that had occurred to me. ...

How do you know this?

Certainly when connecting Apple stuff to non-Apple Bluetooth hardware the standards must be obeyed. But when it is Apple to Apple, can there be a special mode invoked that could be more reliable?

#367404 - 19/08/2016 14:32 Re: Anker [Re: K447]
andy
carpal tunnel

How do you know this?

Certainly when connecting Apple stuff to non-Apple Bluetooth hardware the standards must be obeyed. But when it is Apple to Apple, can there be a special mode invoked that could be more reliable? [/quote]

Because people who know a lot more about Bluetooth than me have said so.

There have been quite a few people recently hammering on the security of wireless keyboards for example, I've not seen any of them say that Apple is using anything other than normal Bluetooth.

Also, you can be sure that if they were using something that they consider better than normal Bluetooth that they would have been telling us all about it. After all, Apple aren't the sort of company to come up with a different way of doing something and not want to highlight it as a benefit of their products wink

#367405 - 19/08/2016 14:34 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

For the record, I really hope that the iPhone 7 includes some sort of wireless tech that isn't Bluetooth. Surely it can't be that hard to at least come up with something with lower latency ?

#367406 - 19/08/2016 18:34 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Surely it can't be that hard...

smile

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Gadgets.jpg

#367407 - 19/08/2016 19:54 Re: Anker [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

blush

I will say however, the combination of this Anker adapter and my iPhone 6S on iOS 10 beta has the lowest Bluetooth latency I've ever experience. When pausing there is only a fraction of a second delay, not the getting-on-for 1 second delay I've seen in the past.

Still laggy enough to be annoying though.

I did try out the new Bluetooth version of the Bose noise cancelling headphones, the delay on those was over half a second, very annoying.

I realise this lag probably isn't even noticed by some people cry

#367408 - 20/08/2016 23:41 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Late to this thread, but like Matt I pretty much found out about Anker only recently. As I started to have USB-C in my devices, recently, I bought Anker Multiport USB chargers (2) various USB3 cables, and one USB3 hub, so far. All really good products - flawless so far. I am now considering a high capacity battery pack.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#367410 - 22/08/2016 15:03 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

For the record, I really hope that the iPhone 7 includes some sort of wireless tech that isn't Bluetooth. Surely it can't be that hard to at least come up with something with lower latency ?

My guess is that the next iPhone will have Bluetooth v5. New version is mostly focused on IoT benefits, however I'm thinking Apple will be attracted to the improvements on the Low Energy side of the spec too.

One thing to consider with some of the delays/issues is what version is in use on both the sides of the connection. Bluetooth 4.1 for example introduced interference mitigation with LTE. Some older versions have issues coexisting well around certain WiFi standards, and some computers are seeing interference from poorly shielded USB 3 buses.

#367412 - 22/08/2016 17:54 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I only use Anker charging cables, they're the longest lasting so far.

#367413 - 22/08/2016 20:27 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

As if Bluetooth couldn't get more annoying, it's often difficult to even tell which version a product is using. I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to find out what version that Anker Sport speaker I have is using, and there's nothing. Just reviewers on Amazon saying "well, I think it's 4.0 maybe 4.1 but who knows?). I know my phone has v4.2, but I don't know what if anything that does for audio bandwidth or lag.

#367415 - 22/08/2016 21:33 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Originally Posted By: Dignan
As if Bluetooth couldn't get more annoying, it's often difficult to even tell which version a product is using .

I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to find out what version that Anker Sport speaker I have is using, and there's nothing...
Perhaps there is a Bluetooth snoop utility or app that would reveal such details.

I have not used it, but something like this.

Edited by K447 (22/08/2016 21:33)

#367427 - 24/08/2016 14:11 Re: Anker [Re: andy]
Phoenix42
veteran

It looks like Bluetooth is still iffy.

I fixed your statement for you frown

smile

Ugh! I'm fine with v1.0 tech being iffy, but Bluetooth is pretty mainstream at this stage - or so I think, I'm disappointed to hear it is still so temperamental.

#367428 - 24/08/2016 15:30 Re: Anker [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I only use BT for hands-free connection in the car. Painless, works just fine. I used to also use a pair of Bluetooth-to-serial adapters for programming my empegs -- those also worked very well, over 10 years ago.

The nifty little USB/bluetooth headset I picked up last year (from another thread on this BBS) also "just works" without fuss.

So it's not all bad, just some more demanding uses, and/or with Apple products. smile

#367479 - 31/08/2016 09:15 Re: Anker [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >