Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36773 - 19/08/2001 17:02 Front panel loose at one screw point?
Amarth
journeyman

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
My mark II has had this "problem" since the day I got it but just only now it has started to irritate me enough to write here about it.. :)

It seems that there's something wrong with my front fascia, or actually its placement. The fascia slides past (comes out) one of the four screws (the ones with what you need six-sided key/screwdriver), ie. I can pull the front panel off the empeg a bit while the screw that's supposed to be holding it against the unit stays there, fastened.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It is mildly annoying since the fascia is 'protruding' out of that corner, especially when I am carrying the unit. There's no actual danger of the fascia detaching totally but it is, as said, quite irritating.

I tried opening the screws and found out that this particular one's counterpart was glued (with some chunky moss) to the unit itself, after removing the 'screw' the piece to which it was attached started rolling around behind the fascia.. I cleaned up some of the dried up glue away (it was actually protruding out from the screw's sides) and got the counterpart back to its original position but was left with the fascia hanging loose from one corner still.. Is there something wrong with my unit or an easy fix for this?

#36774 - 19/08/2001 17:17 Re: Front panel loose at one screw point? [Re: Amarth]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I just noticed this on mine the other day, but on mine, the top two are loose. I haven't unscrewed it yet to see what is wrong. Are there replacement front pannels available?

#36775 - 19/08/2001 18:33 Re: Front panel loose at one screw point? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Let me get this straight...

The "female" mounts, the ones to which your hex bolts are attached, were broken? And they were glued onto the display board?

(Note: Don't get glue and threadlock mixed up. They do use threadlock compound on those hex bolts.)

I'd say talk to support about that one. I don't think it's supposed to be that way.

#36776 - 20/08/2001 00:39 Re: Front panel loose at one screw point? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

No nothing like that. (I just took my front faceplate off for the first time ever and I think I found the problem).

On the front, you have a few components. The black plastic molded piece, the hex bolts, the blue display cover, the buttons and knob, and the actual display board. My problem is that the hex bolts appear to have been tightened too much. This has the effect of making the plastic from the molded piece break slightly. And after a bit of use, it finally gave way on the top. (When I was undoing the hex nuts, I could have just taken off the bottom two and then removed the plastic molded piece). Now the reason I think that it was tightened too much is also the blue panel is fractured in the bottom left corner, right where the smallest width points are from where the button cutout is.

I'll contact support on this one, as I still also need to get an AR coated faceplate.

(Oh, one thing I just noticed about the Riohome.com site. The support links off the front say nothing about the Rio Car. I had to go into the Rio Car section for the necessary support button to then get the address that I needed. [email protected])

Edited by Drakino on 20/08/01 08:43 AM.

#36777 - 20/08/2001 09:36 Re: Front panel loose at one screw point? [Re: Amarth]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The "glue" is almost certainly threadlock, used to prevent the bolts coming loose in the hex stand-offs. In early production the factory sometimes applied too much of this compound, so it leaked out and corroded the plastic fascia. Only a few empeg players were affected by this.

Contact [email protected] for a resolution.

Rob

#36778 - 20/08/2001 12:21 Re: Front panel loose at one screw point? [Re: rob]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In early production the factory sometimes applied too much of this compound, so it leaked out and corroded the plastic fascia

It looks like a bit much was applied to mine, as it's seen on the EMC layer on the back of the blue faceplate near one of the holes.