Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#372612 - 04/03/2020 19:04 Hosting recommendations
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative to GoDaddy for Hosting.

I have been with GoDaddy for something like 19 years. Last year they upped the price quite a bit, and forced me to 'upgrade' as the 'platform' I was on was being phased out.

This year their 'free email' which was included in the package is now going to cost about 100.00 USD, as it is no longer included. I am a loyal person (19 years), and may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but neither am I the dullest.

I have checked out a couple of other hosting options, and the one that looks the best to me so far is HostGator for their 'Hatchling' plan which is the lowest tier. As anyone who has been to my cheesy little website knows, it is just a little personal website, and I don't need much. I really am only concerned in being able to keep my email address, which apparently is now not functioning correctly which is of concern to me and the final straw for GoDaddy....to want me to pay for an item that has been free and double the price of the original price. And in case anyone is doubtful of my claims, I have the documentation back to 2001, and GoDaddy Sales support told me they can only go back 10 years?!?

Sorry for the rant.

Bottom line, does anyone have any recommendations for hosting on an economical basis since my medical disability and retirement still impacts my finances.

Again, sorry for the rant.

#372613 - 05/03/2020 00:03 Re: Hosting recommendations [Re: Ladmo]
Happy Birthday larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I use Hostcentric, if you buy 3 years it's $6/mo, and includes pretty much unlimited everything. I've been with them something like 15 years.

#372658 - 22/03/2020 20:16 Re: Hosting recommendations [Re: Ladmo]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
If you're familiar with cpanel-based web hosting, I think it's a decent suggestion to check lowendbox.com for promotions. I signed up for a deal years ago with Hawk Host for $134.23 billed every two years ($5.59/month). That cost includes "unlimited" SSD storage. There is (of course) a limit to the total combined resources you use. But, for hosting a few simple sites and about 10 email addresses, I can't complain at all. The service has been rock-solid for 4 years now.

I've been moving my domain registrations to Porkbun recently due to price. They also offer static web hosting for $2/month and 10GB email boxes for $24/year. If you want to move your domain away from Godaddy, it could be an easy all-in-one solution but I have no experience with their web hosting or email products.

#372663 - 24/03/2020 19:13 Re: Hosting recommendations [Re: robricc]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: robricc
I've been moving my domain registrations to Porkbun recently due to price.

Oh, that's a nice find. Switching over from Namecheap could save me $15/year on domain name costs. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but that's still $15 that can be spent on other things. Better still, they're local to me -- just a few blocks from one of the local hockey rinks... smile