Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#46360 - 13/11/2001 22:58 Tuner enhancements
BarryB
journeyman

Loc: Bellingham, WA (USA)
Having recently bought and installed the tuner module, I was hoping to see something really cool software wise-- afterall, the MP3 player software is great! Why should I expect anything less from the tuner sofware. But alas, it's just your basic tuner.

I would love to have Tivo-like capabilities with the Tuner module like others have suggested, but based on the comments from empeg guys, this doesn't seem too likely. Here's some more easily doable things that would make the tuner nicer:

1. When listening to one of the presets such as A1, if you power down the unit by turning the car's key off, when you power the unit back up, the preset name goes blank yet it still says "A1". It would be nice if the preset name reappeared. (This is with 2.0 beta 3.) I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug.

2. When switching between stored presets, there is often a wide discrepancy in volume levels between stations. It would be nice if the user had the ability to set a relative volume level weighting for each station. That way you could more easily monitor several stations at once without having to continually adjust the volume.

3. When muting the radio by pushing the pause button, a visual indication should be shown on the screen. The way it is now, you can't tell if mute is on or if the station is just silent for a moment.

4. As many others have mentioned already, you should be able to use the Mk2's knob to adjust the frequency. People are so used to this style of tuner that it seems crazy not to take advantage of the knob here.

5. On many AM stations you often hear high frequency interference. It would be nice if there was some kind of control allowing you to quickly filter out these high frequences. I realize you could do this with the eq, but that's kind of cumbersome.

6. It would be nice if you could assign a name to each of the banks of presets instead of having just A,B,C.

#46361 - 14/11/2001 09:46 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: BarryB]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Some of the things you listed are genuine bugs that will be fixed in the next release.

#46362 - 15/11/2001 12:57 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: BarryB]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I wish there is a way to not have banks of presents. Understandably there is a correlatoin with the remote. But it would be nice to have one flat "bank" that you can move around in. What's more, I would like to organize them by genre, etc. Banks of presets are so old school.

Calvin

#46363 - 15/11/2001 15:21 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: eternalsun]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Several people including myself have asked for this functionality and have basically gotten a cold shoulder from the dev team. I don't believe in totally eliminating the bank idea, but I think it should at least be configurable to "wrap" to the next bank. So when I'm on A0 and hit "next preset" it'll go to B1, then B2 through B9, then to C0. Making this behavior configurable would appease both parties, but it seems nobody wants to do it, or hasn't indicated they want to.

#46364 - 15/11/2001 15:25 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't think it's a question of "want", it's more of a question of development time and priorities I think.

#46365 - 15/11/2001 15:28 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yah, I guess I stated that wrong. But I can't imagine it's a real tough one to implement and several others have asked for it. I'm not talking about trying to get it into a 2.0 final release, but maybe the next incremental release (2.1 or whatever it'll be numbered.) In the other threads I never saw any indication that it was even worthy of the official wish list...

#46366 - 15/11/2001 20:15 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tonyc]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I do want that. I also find the current Bank preset very unconfortable when driving. The ideal would be in my view to be able to

1) decide how many banks to have and give them a name (from emplode)
2) do not limit the number of presets per bank
3) chose whether to move to the next bank when pressing NEXT on the last preset of a certain bank, or cycle back to the first preset of that bank.(from emplode)

I also agree in using the knob for some manual frequency navigation. I imagine this: by pressing it once in tuner mode, it could enter a "tuning" state ans stay there for few seconds, as it is now for other sound settings. Knob rotation, in this state, would change the frequency manually. I guess this is what everybody was thinking, but I just wanted to make it explicit :)

Edited by taym (15/11/2001 20:24)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#46367 - 16/11/2001 11:29 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We just haven't started advanced work on the tuner yet - it's not like we've implemented other suggestions and ignored this one. When we work on the tuner some more there will be a lot of new things all at once.

Rob

#46368 - 16/11/2001 11:30 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There isn't an official wish list.

Rob

#46369 - 16/11/2001 11:38 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: rob]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Okay, thanks for the explanations. I thought there was an official list of what the various priorities were in terms of functionality... Maybe not a wish list per se, but it seemed to me that items posted here might wind up on a future release schedule once their priorities are sorted out.

#46370 - 16/11/2001 11:57 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I thought this WAS the official wish list.

#46371 - 16/11/2001 12:37 Re: Tuner enhancements [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel