Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47844 - 25/11/2001 01:41 Shuffle append
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
I normally listen to a shuffled mix of albums, artists and tracks. I often find myself midway through a mix wanting to add another album or track. What I would like, and maybe I am missing something, is to be able to add new songs and shuffle them into the remaining mix. Right now (v2 beta 3), it seems that I have three choices:

1) Insert, in which case I will hear all of the added songs next before returning to the rest of the current playlist.
2) Append, in which case I won't hear the added songs until I am done with the current playlist anyway.
3) Insert or append and then force the player to reshuffle, in which case all of the songs I have already heard will be played again.

None of these options are what I want. Personally, I think that if you are in shuffle mode, insert or append shouldn't be any different. Otherwise, what's the point of shuffling?

Is there a way to add tracks and shuffle them into the remaining mix without reshuffling the entire mix?

This is pretty much the only thing I can come up with that I don't like about how the player works, but I find it very frustrating . . .

Thanks, Bill

#47845 - 25/11/2001 08:15 Re: Shuffle append [Re: warsaw]
Captain_Chaos

Loc: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Seconded!

I've been wanting this for a while as well. I propose a fourth choice, 'Shuffle' in addition to Insert, Append and Replace. It would shuffle the chosen track(s) in with the remaining part of the current playlist, according to the current (or last, if shuffle is currently off) shuffle method.

This way, I can add stuff to the mix, as it were, something I frequently find myself wanting to do.

#47846 - 25/11/2001 10:38 Re: Shuffle append [Re: warsaw]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you're using the "least recently played" version of the shuffle, then appending followed by reshuffling will do what you want, and the songs you recently heard will be weighted towards the bottom of the shuffle.

#47847 - 30/11/2001 00:34 Re: Shuffle append [Re: tfabris]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
Well, that's a little better than just reshuffling the whole playlist, but it still wouldn't be what I want.

I frequently find myself hosting a lot of people and taking requests where we are really into the music. I want it shuffled (everybody likes it that way) but I don't want to have to monitor it to manually skip songs already played. I also don't want some tracks weighted towards the end just because I listened to them more recently.

I don't understand why the default behavior of adding music to a shuffled mix is not to shuffle it into the remaing songs. If I wanted to control where it was played (i.e. next or at the end), why would I be in shuffle mode in the first place? I would be interested to hear anybody's opinion on this.

I love the player and it is such a big hit on road trips. But this is how I almost always listen to it and I would be so much happier if it behaved the way I describe.

Thanks,
Bill