Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4991 - 07/02/2000 09:49 Initial reactions of 00359
drakino
carpal tunnel

I finally recieved the unit about an hour ago from the FedEx man. (The unit shipped almost a week ago, and was for a still unknown reason, was delayed by the FDA). I signed for the package, took it inside, and quickly ripped open the box. The first thing in the top was empeg stickers, a few last minute notices, the manual and CD. I dug through that to get to the unit its self, got the necessary cables out of the box and plugged it in. I then started playing with the remote to cycle through the visuals for the free song that was included.

Overall, my first impression is definitly WOW. The unit is so small for doing all that it does. (Everyone kept asking me at work why in the world I payed $1250 for a car mp3 player. I detailed to them the cost of a homemade unit that might be able to match sound quality and controllability, added a bit more and got to the final price. That small bit more is well worth no labor costs). It looks nice, but definitly has the low production look to it. (Mainly because empeg decided not to do thing you expect to see on other car stereos, and thats fine with me). Everything works as I expected so far. I'll continue to update this thread as my day and next few weeks progress with it.

Reg 1640, 6gb Blue empeg-car mark 1. SN 00359

#4992 - 07/02/2000 13:00 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: drakino]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
The FDA? Perhaps they got wind that the visuals are to be named after food items such as Samosas, and are now required to check inside the Empeg for any crumbs. That will account for about a week.

Calvin

#4993 - 07/02/2000 16:15 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: eternalsun]
stan
stranger

Or maybe they heard about bugs in the software! How many bug parts per million are allowed in an empeg anyway?

#4994 - 07/02/2000 17:25 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: eternalsun]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The FDA have an interest in the product because it radiates "potentially harmful emissions". Believe it or not they are referring to the IR remote control. I burst out laughing the first time I was told that - not the right response if you want US Customs to co-operate with you :-)

We now include an FDA declaration with every shipment to the US, along with the more reasonable FCC declaration. I have no idea why this particular shipment was held, perhaps someone at the FDA in Memphis is on the waiting list and wanted to see any empeg for himself!

Rob

#4995 - 07/02/2000 19:30 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: rob]
stan
stranger

If the FDA (of all [dis]organizations) is inspecting your product for "potential harmful emissions", then they better damn-well be inspecting every blasted Chinese TV and VCR that comes across the border with a remote control!

If you have the FDA case number, etc. I will be VERY happy to send it to my congress-critter and we will see if this nonsense can be straightened out!

#4996 - 08/02/2000 01:55 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

After a day of playing, I have definitly seen some interesting things. First off, the software works great in Windows 2000 final. The system even warns you when you simply pull the USB cable, telling you that next time you need to stop the driver with the unplug/eject hardware icon in the taskbar. I also managed to blue screen and reboot 2000 earlier. I'm still looking into that one.

After uploading a few gigs of music, I have gotten used to the Emplode not quite Windows Explorer interface. Overall it works well, just a few things need to be polished interface wise. Status reporting needs to be greatly improved on both Emplodes side and the Empegs side. (Somehow I don't thing the system is syncing after a min of the USB cable being disconnected). I'm aware all of this is still beta, and seeing some of the old reports, software has definitly improved.

Search works well once you get used to it. Great for playing that particular CD real quick.

Overall I am very happy with the unit. And after installing the developer image and seeing a bash prompt, I knew I made the right choice for an in car computer. I'll post again in a few days afer getting more hands on experience with it. (So far, learning the remote is my main goal before installing it into the car)

Reg 1640, 6gb Blue empeg-car mark 1. SN 00359

#4997 - 08/02/2000 06:08 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: stan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I used to argue with US Customs and their related authorities, but I discovered that it is a futile exercise and that complying with their (often ridiculous) demands saves a lot of hair pulling and other such frustration.

Practically all of our shipments to the US now reach their destination by 10:30am the next day. To help ensure this we enclose no less than twelve pieces of paper with each package. It's official - the US Government are screwing the environment :-)

Rob

#4998 - 08/02/2000 14:41 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: rob]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
To help ensure this we enclose no less than twelve pieces of paper with each package.

And I thought Croatian Customs were the most baroque in the world! The most usefull piece of paper to include when sending to Croatia would be forged invoice (various taxes and duties are quite exorbitant - though they used to be even worse :) Anyway, perhaps that will motivate me to actually come to Cambridge, collect the thing, and see if Dominic can figure out how and where to mount it horizontally...

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#4999 - 14/02/2000 01:31 Re: Initial reactions of 00359 [Re: bonzi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Speaking of Dominic...

It's been more than two months since his last post on this bbs.

Dominic -- are you still out there? I'd hate to think that you've abandoned us!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"