Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5245 - 30/10/1999 14:07 Floating grounds
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
I just got my empeg installed in the car today, and as seems to have happened to others, the installers completely ignored the RCA leads with the floating ground connectors. Whether this is the reason for it sounding absolutely horrendous in the car is yet to be discovered, as the amp they fitted doesn't have a suitable connector to attach the little circular ground contacts to... (and it's dark now, so I can't very well go crawling around in the boot of the car with a torch when there are pubs to visit!!)

My question is, can I connect these ground contacts to the terminal block for the amp's power gnd connection? I don't want to blow anything up!! :)

I also suspect that they haven't insulated the RCA connectors at the back of the cage, and I'm definnitely not digging round the back of the dash in the dark to check that.

If I can connect the floating ground leads to the ground of the amp's power connection, then I'm going to try that tomorrow in the daylight and see if it makes any difference....

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#5246 - 31/10/1999 11:09 Re: Floating grounds [Re: Geoff]
Geoff
enthusiast

Well, I decided I couldn't handle the noise anymore, and decided to try to ground the leads to the amp. I am pleased to say that it worked a charm :) The empeg now sounds perfect (well, as perfect as it can, since I economised by only replacing some of the original speakers - until next payday anyway!)

I will have to make a few more adjustments to the amp's gain, because they tried to compensate for the interference by boosting the amp and lowering the gain on the empeg, so right now it's deafening me with the empeg's volume set at about -20dB :)

Oh well, I'll let them know next time I see them, and they can do better next time - live and learn :)

They asked if they could take a picture of the empeg to put on their website, as I told them mine was the first (and still the only?) empeg in Northern Ireland :)

Geoff
---- -------

#5247 - 01/11/1999 03:01 Re: Floating grounds [Re: Geoff]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Mine has been visiting various points in Northern Ireland since September - but its not resident. :-)

#5248 - 01/11/1999 08:21 Re: Floating grounds [Re: stig]
Geoff
enthusiast

There goes my minor claim to fame then :)
Still, I should look on the bright side - I'm no longer totally alone :)

Geoff
---- -------

#5249 - 02/11/1999 10:23 Re: Floating grounds [Re: Geoff]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Yes you are.
I keep heading back down south and over water (to Liverpool where I'm based (most of the time))

David