Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56382 - 08/01/2002 08:01 System Did Not Respond

Loc: Dallas Texas USA
Up until now I have never had any problem with my MKII.

I just installed the latest version software to my PC and player, 2.0 beta 7 with no problems.

Yesterday while driving home from work, a song came on that I particularly like so I turned the volume up. When the next song came on it just so happened that it was recorded with a higher volume level. It was loud enough that I wanted to turn it down. When I spun the volume knob it turned and felt fine, but no response. I tried to push the buttons to at least pause the player but again, nothing. None of the buttons worked.

I then tried the remote but still no response from my player. The music was pretty loud so I finally resorted to pulling the unit from my dash in mid-play. When I plugged it back in, it seemed fine. I have full control again.

Only now I notice that there is a random pixel that blinks on my screen when in text mode, I dont seem to notice it when playing visuals.. and also the 'Plays' counter does not seem to incriment anymore. I did not notice if it incrimented after I installed beta 7 since it was less than one day that I installed it.

Any ideas?

#56383 - 08/01/2002 09:54 Re: System Did Not Respond [Re: avatarTX]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Is that blinking pixel on the line in the centre of the screen? If so, then this is a position indicator, and it's fine.

#56384 - 08/01/2002 11:11 Blinking Pixel [Re: Roger]

Hmm.. as a matter of fact, I think that it is. I did not see any reference as to its function in the release notes, but I left my fine tooth comb at home when I installed.

#56385 - 08/01/2002 11:45 Re: System Did Not Respond [Re: avatarTX]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This "controls locking up" bug is a known problem that has been reported several other times since the 2.0b3 public beta. I do not know if the cause of the bug has been found yet or not.

This is also the same bug as the one where the Info:Transient line freezes mid-scroll.

#56386 - 08/01/2002 12:18 Re: System Did Not Respond [Re: tfabris]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

And ANOTHER locking up unit !

This is the ONLY thing now that 'bugs' (get it!) me, everything else is perfect ... i do hope they find the cause ...

#56387 - 10/01/2002 06:37 Re: System Did Not Respond [Re: LTJBukem]

Oh, I am sure it will be found. This is the first and only time I have had a problem.. other than that my unit has performed perfectly. It did kind of freak me out when it happened, but I also quickly reminded myself that I am running Beta software. The thing that really bugged me was that I happened to have the volume up too loud when it froze. Ouch!

The blinking pixel is indeed the position indicator, and now that I know what it is, I think its a cool idea! But I did not see any reference to it in the release notes..

#56388 - 10/01/2002 23:23 Re: System Did Not Respond [Re: LTJBukem]
Ruffles

Loc: Seattle, WA
Add me to the list. My player locks up 2 or 3 times a day. In Tuner, it spontanisly reboots. In player mode, it's a hard hang but the music still plays. I never saw this on Beta 3. Good luck finding the problem. Bugs like this are a real pain to trouble shoot because there isn't a good repro scenerio.